View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/09/2022 16:59
  • Post subject: Round 9: 1982
2 album of 1982:

An album I already own:

Vs. by Mission Of Burma
Very good postpunk album that also I underrated a bit previously so it rises from the 54th to the 12th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Time And Tide by Split Enz
A good album from this predecessor of Crowded House but at the end the songs were of somewhat less quality: good for the 39th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/11/2022 20:16
  • Post subject: Round 9: 1983
These are the two albums of 1983 I gave a spin:

First an album I already own:

Koyaanisqatsi by Philip Glass
Philip Glass created his two best albums in this year: The Photographer and this one and it's even more impressive when listened together with the movie (which is I suppose it's called a soundtrack). But it's also very good if listened to separately just because of the fact that it's so diverse without losing its minimal music edge. Just to say I really like this album which rises from the 30th to the 12th rank.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Mummer by XTC
Not a bad XTC album but there is a major difference between the first four excellent tracks (especially Great Fires is a gem) and the tracks which follow which are sometimes fairly experimental but also songwise not as good as the album start. Nevertheless ok for the 23rd rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/13/2022 19:24
  • Post subject: Round 9: 1984
These are two albums of 1984 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Powerslave by Iron Maiden
Many people call this the best album of Iron Maiden but for me it's not really the best. The Ryme of The Ancient Mariner is a good epic but not their best and also other songs were matched by better counterparts on other albums. Except for the opener Aces High which is one of their best full throttle tracks. But of course this is still a classic Iron Maiden album which goes from the 6th to the 4th rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

Body And Soul by Joe Jackson
A real pop album by Joe Jackson even more proven that a lot of the tracks were/are also radio classics. It already starts in a wonderful way with The Verdict and it just goes on with especially the highlight Be My Number Two where his voice sounds at its most melancholic and it's utterly beautiful. Not everything is a highlight though which is proven by nitwit songs lie Loisaida. But nevertheless an album which ends up at a reasonable 15th rank.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2022 23:11
  • Post subject: Re: Round 9: 1984
dihansse wrote:
These are two albums of 1984 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Powerslave by Iron Maiden
Many people call this the best album of Iron Maiden but for me it's not really the best. The Ryme of The Ancient Mariner is a good epic but not their best and also other songs were matched by better counterparts on other albums. Except for the opener Aces High which is one of their best full throttle tracks. But of course this is still a classic Iron Maiden album which goes from the 6th to the 4th rank of the year.

What r your rankings?

<What did u think of my '82 Metal list? (I got Maiden in the #2 spot.) Anything u would have added?>
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/14/2022 16:35
  • Post subject:
My favorite is still Number Of The Beast (and it's also my metal number one of 1982) with Piece Of Mind as second. Tbh I thought I had thought Powerslave would be ranked lower but it's still the third Iron Maiden album.

And for 1982, as you know I'm not so much in Priest or Rush so I only follow you on your number two. And as I'm more a lover of classic metal and not so much of extreme metal my number two is your number 7: Iron Fist; and then Anvil which is your number 11.

And from number 4 on:
4. Blackout
5. Assault Attack
6. Restless & Wild
7. Black Metal
8. Battle Hymns

And there's a few albums you recommended I should listen to like that Heavy Load Album and also Creatures Of The Nigh although I'm not a big Kiss lover.

But in any case an interesting list Jeff!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2022 18:25
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
My favorite is still Number Of The Beast (and it's also my metal number one of 1982) with Piece Of Mind as second. Tbh I thought I had thought Powerslave would be ranked lower but it's still the third Iron Maiden album.

Yeah. Can't really argue with that! Those three are in my top five as well with the addition of the Di'Anno LPs from '80 & '81.

1. Killers
2. Iron Maiden
3. Piece Of Mind
4. Number Of The Beast
5. Powerslave

Iron Maiden RULED the early part of the 80s with Motorhead & Priest close behind.

dihansse wrote:

And for 1982, as you know I'm not so much in Priest or Rush so I only follow you on your number two. And as I'm more a lover of classic metal and not so much of extreme metal my number two is your number 7: Iron Fist; and then Anvil which is your number 11.

And from number 4 on:
4. Blackout
5. Assault Attack
6. Restless & Wild
7. Black Metal
8. Battle Hymns

And there's a few albums you recommended I should listen to like that Heavy Load Album and also Creatures Of The Night although I'm not a big Kiss lover.

But in any case an interesting list Jeff!

Great, great list, Dirk! Blackout just missed my list and Assault Attack definitely has some songs on it I flat out LOVE! Such as Rock You To The Ground and the title track is one of my faves of the year...

Link

Glad to see some love for Battle Hymns! Just a killer album!!!
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/14/2022 19:11
  • Post subject: Round 9: 1985
These are two albums of 1985 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Tim by The Replacements
I like the Replacements but for one reason or another this album doesn't really click for me. I don't know why, maybe I didn't grow up with the album and I only discovered it after I bought the latter albums but I somehow feel that there is something wrong with the general sound of this one. Not that it's bad of course and it goes from the 32nd to the 26th rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

Frankenchrist by Dead Kennedys
A fairly good album by the Dead Kennedys which lands at the 20th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/15/2022 19:51
  • Post subject: Round 9: 1986
And two albums of 1986:

An album I already own:

The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths
A good album of the Smiths but to me not completely the masterpiece many people think it is. But some tracks certainly are classics like BigMouth Strikes Again and certainly There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. An the album moves up from the 8th to the 4th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Tinderbox by Siouxsie And The Banshees
A bit of a latter day album by this band and this amazing front woman and it's certainly not bad with Cities In Dust as the highlight. Good for the 12th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/17/2022 16:51
  • Post subject: Round 9: 1987
Here is 1987:

with an album I already own:

The Lion And The Cobra by Sinéad O'Connor
This is her first but without any doubt also her best because of the emotional depth which radiates through the whole album but of course especially through Troy which is her best song closely followed by Mandinka. This is a special album and it rises from the 13th to the 10th rank of the year.

And an album on my wishlist:

Aguaplano by Paolo Conte
There's the title track and some more good tracks but this is a double album and maybe a bit too long to be overall very good because in his weakest moments he has the tendency to get a little bit schmalz. But when he shines he really shines and that's of course the fact on his best song here, his overall best song and one of my favorite songs ever. It's both very jazzy and very poppy but man I just love this song. If you have never listened to it, please do, and don't let the Italian bother you: it's a gem.
But overall a bit too long so all in all only good for the 36th rank.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/19/2022 19:36
  • Post subject: Round 9: 1988
These are the albums of 1988 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Birth, School, Work, Death by The Godfathers
At the time, this album felt a bit like Is This It from The Strokes some 10 years later, a breath of fresh air. Of course the latter came at a moment when rock was declared dead while this album was only the beginning of a guitar revival. In any case it's the perfect marriage between rock and punk and is as good as the first time I heard it. The title tracks is of course a seminal song but there is so much more that I've underrated a bit in my first scoring so this album goes from the 13th to the 8th rank of the year.
And the thing is also: for some reason or another I only know this album of them but when I read the reviews the following two albums were as good as this one so I'll listen to these as well in this 9th round.

And an album on my wishlist:

The New Order by Testament
Of course this band is a total second rate rip-off from Metallica and some of the other trash metal bands but in fact this album isn't so bad and I must say I generally liked it so ok enough for the 29th rank of 1988.
  • Visit poster's website