View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/06/2022 19:46
  • Post subject: Round 9: 2011
Here I am again now with two albums of 2011:

An album I already own:

The King Of Limbs by Radiohead
I just wanted to be sure if this is still for me the worst Radiohead album an rest assured: it is. But I just can't ignore Radiohead in my top chart so it's still in it but goes from the 68th to the 69th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Fading Parade by Papercuts
The second album I hear of this band which I like but don't love: for this their music lacks dynamics. The singing is very laidback and not all of the songs are good but nevertheless an ok album which enters my year chart at the 42nd rank.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/16/2022 20:32
  • Post subject: Round 9: 2012
These are the albums of 2012 I listened to:

An album I already own/know:

America Give Up by Howler
A very enjoyable album that I needed to listen to again after a number of years: a bit punkish with some kind of sixties atmosphere; and goes from the 15th to the 12th rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

Toy by Toy
Sometimes I wonder why I bother listening to recent albums I hadn't heard yet because I think I would have already heard them if they are that good. And then something like this one comes along. To call this album psychedelic would be underselling it because it is very varied. Maybe Ride would be a good reference but it's still very different.
The best song is the long and droning Kopter but there is much more to be enjoyed: nearly every track has something special which makes it... special. A wonderful album which immediately enters at the 8th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/20/2022 17:00
  • Post subject: Round 9: 2013
These are my two choices of albums of 2013:

An album I already own:

The Argument by Grant Hart
One of my heroes from ex-Hüsker Dü and his last album before he passed away. This is a concept album without feeling like a concept album apart from the fact maybe that there are a bit too many tracks. But overall this is a fine album which moves from the 16th to the 10th rank in my year chart.

An album on my wishlist:

Float Along - Fill Your Lungs by King G...ard Wizard
Don't you sometimes get tired about this band: their production of albums is so enormous that they tend to repeat themselves especially that they also seem to come up with the same tricks (even though their genre hopping is equally awe-inspiring).
But this is one of their first albums and especially the first long track seems to collect everything that is great about the band and not so much of the band: in any case it's an awesome one. The rest of the album is a bit more mixed but this is still one of their better ones and it lands at the 50th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/21/2022 19:56
  • Post subject: Round 9: 2014
These are two albums of 2014 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Cheatahs by Cheatahs
To me this album just sounds like Ride but that's not a bad reference. The songs are very much ok so why complain, this is a very good album which goes from the 19th to the 13th rank of my year chart.

An album on my wishlist:

Atlas by Real Estate
There is nothing very special about this album and there's nothing very special about this band: it's just well crafted pop music. And good enough to land at the 23rd rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/27/2022 19:23
  • Post subject: Round 9: 2015
These are the two albums of 2015 I listened to:

Fantasy Empire by Lightning Bolt
This is a wild album. The guitar bursts sound like electronic but they're definitely guitar, the drums are fast and lound and the screaming is utterly sick. But sometimes the songs lack a bit of flesh so I downgraded some of the songs which causes the album to move from the 48th to the 55th rank. But it remains an album you have to hear to believe because it has a relentless energy.

An album on my wishlist:

Sco-Mule by Gov't Mule
Some of those great blues rock bands also had a fantastic jazz blues (or blues jazz) track in their repertoire. Ten Years After had Woodchoppers Ball and The Allmans had Mountain Jam. And those tracks, especially in their jammy live versions sounded fantastic.
And then comes Gov't Mule with a full live album of those tracks and to add that extra jazzy sauce they collaborated with John Scofield.
And the outcome is absolutely great. Most of the tracks clock in to more than 10 minutes and in the version I have there is also a bonus track in the form of the 23 minutes Afro Blue. But the six original tracks are equally fine with Kind Of Bird as the highlight. The album is very guitar based but the jazzy jams by John Scofield just makes this an album to lick of your fingers and dance to the beat. Nevermind that this is a live album: it is original enough to count as a regular one and it absolutely deserves to be in my year chart at the 11th rank.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2022 19:42
  • Post subject: Re: Round 9: 2015
dihansse wrote:
These are the two albums of 2015 I listened to:

Fantasy Empire by Lightning Bolt
This is a wild album. The guitar bursts sound like electronic but they're definitely guitar, the drums are fast and lound and the screaming is utterly sick. But sometimes the songs lack a bit of flesh so I downgraded some of the songs which causes the album to move from the 48th to the 55th rank. But it remains an album you have to hear to believe because it has a relentless energy.

My hometown heroes!!! Love
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/28/2022 20:16
  • Post subject: Round 9: 2016
Two albums of 2016 I listened to:

An album I still own/know:

Here Be Monsters by Motorpsycho
Another album from on of my favorite Norwegian bands. This is one of their more Pink Floydian albums which means tons of atmosphere but also some great prog songs of which I.M.S is my favorite but the very long closer Big Black Dog is the most diverse. The album moves up from the 43rd to the 29th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Post Pop Depression by Iggy Pop
When this album was released I didn't want to waste my time listening to it because it had some bad reviews (although the album has a high rank on BEA). But I suppose I should somehow and I still have mixed feelings about the end result. It's not really his best but it's good enough to park at the outer fringes of my year chart, ie at rank 50.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/03/2022 20:17
  • Post subject: Round 9: 2017
And here is my final entry for this round 9 ending with the year 2017 of which I listened to two albums:

Last Place by Grandaddy
Not their best album but definitely still a good one. Goes from the 70th to the 41st rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

GN by Ratboys
A bit an inbetween between Country and grunge but definitely catchy. There are no real outliers but none of the tracks are subpar so all in all good for the 33rd rank of 2017.

So up to the 10th round.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/05/2022 20:26
  • Post subject: Round 10: 1969
So this is round 10 of a deep dive on each time two albums of a certain year, one I already own and one on my wishlist (still 1099 albums. And I started with 1969.

An album I already own:

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere by Neil...razy Horse
The first collaboration of Neil Young with Crazy Horse and certainly one of their best. A few of the best Neil Young songs are to be found here like Comes A Time, Down By The River and especially also the long and winding Cowgirl In The Sand. The album moves up from the 3rd rank of the year to the first: before two Led Zep albums and before the Beatles.

An album on my wishlist:

Jane Birkin Et Serge Gainsbourg by Jane...Gainsbourg
Serge Gainsbourg is not my favorite French artist but he certainly has his historic value and Jane Birkin is a fine singer (and I don't mean on Je T'aime Moi Non Plus which I hope is not unfamiliar to you). So an ok album but I think neither of his regulars is good enough to be on my top chart but I wanted to try it anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2022 22:30
  • Post subject: Re: Round 10: 1969
dihansse wrote:
So this is round 10 of a deep dive on each time two albums of a certain year, one I already own and one on my wishlist (still 1099 albums. And I started with 1969..

That is awesome! It strikes me I have mostly silently following along with this diary/project for literally years! You’ve covered so much ground! Great system!

I love this diary and there are some real gems you hit upon here. I have the opposite inclination: that is to say, I bite off massive and almost impossible projects for a year or artist. You go strong and steady with a couple highlighted each year. Probably a more consistent and workable system than mine in many ways lol!

Anyway, peace brother.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website