My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 151, 152, 153  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/07/2022 10:17
  • Post subject:
Thx Mercury; always good to see that this is read and appreciated; of course I’m interested in the gems you discovered….
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/10/2022 19:19
  • Post subject: Round 10: 1970
These are two albums of 1970 I listened to:

One I already own:

Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival
What can I see: one of the best albums of one of my favorite bands because there is one of my favorite singers in it. Up Around The Bend is for me the clear positive outlier but there is also Who'll Stop The Rain and that fantastic cover of I Heard It Through The Grapevine (yes I'm one of those rare persons who thinks this version is better than the original) and even a lesser known track as Ramble Tamble is a real gem. So enough to make me happy and the album goes from the 13th to the 7th rank of the year.

And one on my wishlist:

His Band And The Street Choir by Van Morrison
I absolutely love Astral Weeks and also Moondance because these albums were so much more than the white soul for which Van The Man is known. And that's a bit my problem with this album, to me it's nothing much more than just white soul. Of course he sings these tracks with conviction and yes soul but that doesn't do it really for me. Sorry, not an album for my 1970 year chart.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/13/2022 15:48
  • Post subject:
I decided to skip the years 1971 and 1972 for this round: I have relistened to most of the albums I already own in the last years and I don't have that many albums on my wishlist (which doesn't mean that these years lack classic albums). So here is 1973:

First and album I already own:

Space Ritual by Hawkwind
A live album but in my eyes one that deserves to be considered as a regular (classic) album because there's a lot of cohesion to be found here (it's even a concept album about space and time talked together by Bob Calvert; Allmusic calls him an astral poet) however deranged the actual songs might be.
And deranged this album sounds and I think upto that point no other album was made just because of that psych sound which is driven upto its limits with great jamming under the form of a great drum and bass (yes with Lemmy) groove intermixed with lots of electronics. I love this album although it has its weak spots and it moves up from the 30th to the 21st rank.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Neu! 2 by Neu!
This album has often been dismissed as not good just because of the fact that because of problems with the record company they didn't finish the album in the nicest way. Many of the tracks of the first side were played back at different speeds or re-recorded in other strange ways. You could call this experimental and of course this is what this band is all about and in a way it fits the album.
Most of all, one of their most quintessential krautrock tracks is here: Für Immer. And there are other good songs. So not an album for the highest ranks of my year chart but deserves to be there at the 41st rank.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2022 15:59
  • Post subject:
Nice! Love both of those! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/31/2022 19:58
  • Post subject: Round 10: 1974
After a few weeks Slovenia here are two albums of 1974 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Here Come The Warm Jets by Brian Eno
I suppose the most accessible solo album by Brian Eno and that just suits me fine. The influence on also his more experimental works on rock music can't be underestimated but personally I like him more if he sticks to rock music which he does on this album and so it rises from the 36th to the 24th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Holiday by America
Of course this album is sugar sweet but sometimes I like sugar if the underlying ingredients are also fine and that's certainly the case here. I already knew the hit Tin Man and also Lonely People from their Greatest Hits but I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the album which nearly matches their self-titled debut and Home Coming, their second one.
So no wonder the album enters at the 12th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/18/2022 16:26
  • Post subject: Round 10: 1975
These are the two albums of 1975 I listened to:

First an album I already know/own:

Young Americans by David Bowie
To me this is one of the lesser albums of David Bowie. Even the title track which was a big hit is not really good in my opinion. There's of course the fantastic Fame but because of the fact that is so good and special it feels a bit out of place here. I doubted if I would keep this album in my year chart but finally I did and it even goes from the last and 42nd rank to the 34th.

The an album on my wishlist:

Helen Of Troy by John Cale
John Cale released two albums in 1975 and of the two Slow Dazzle is the more classic album which also means that it's a bit snowed under also on my part. But it does contain the beautiful I Keep A Close Watch and there are also many other good ones like the cover of Pablo Picasso and Leaving It Up To You. All in all a good but not a great album which arrives at the 21th rank in my year chart.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/20/2022 20:19
  • Post subject: Round 10: 1976
These are the two albums of 1976 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Presence by Led Zeppelin
One of their less albums but still contains great tracks like Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine. But not all the tracks are as good as those two which results in a fairly uneven album which nevertheless rises from the 27th to the 14th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Black And Blue by The Rolling Stones
Strange that this album isn't already part of my year chart because I certainly listened to it before. I used to dislike what The Stones did on albums like Miss You and this one on which they introduced some serious funky stuff.
But that has changed, now I really love these funky bits like Hot Stuff and especially Fool To Cry which is now one of my favorites of theirs. And frankly: nearly the whole album is great so it immediately enters at the 10th rank of my year chart.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2022 04:47
  • Post subject: Re: Round 10: 1976
dihansse wrote:

An album on my wishlist:

Black And Blue by The Rolling Stones
Strange that this album isn't already part of my year chart because I certainly listened to it before. I used to dislike what The Stones did on albums like Miss You and this one on which they introduced some serious funky stuff.
But that has changed, now I really love these funky bits like Hot Stuff and especially Fool To Cry which is now one of my favorites of theirs. And frankly: nearly the whole album is great so it immediately enters at the 10th rank of my year chart.

Yeah. They weren't matching their late 60s/early 70s peak, BUT they were still crushing it UNTIL Dirty Work. Sick .
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/24/2022 14:57
  • Post subject: Round 10: 1977
In the year that punk broke two albums that have nothing to do with punk:

First an album I already own:

Aja by Steely Dan
I guess this is my favorite band in this genre but this album which lot of people esteem to be their best also shows both the flaws and the quality of the band. The title song shows which is nearly 8 minutes long shows that when they loose themselves in long and winding sidesteps this can lead to some noodling with the song going nowhere. But Deacon Blues which also nearly 8 minutes shows exactly the opposite: this is nearly perfect jazzrock song in which the different twist and turns do lead to a satisfying outcome. And there are more goodies like Peg. So all in all a very good album which moves up from the 36th to the 17th rank.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Dizrythmia by Split Enz
The first time the two Finn brothers were in the same band although the contribution by Neil Finn was very limited. This is a bit an inbetween album as a lot of songs are muddled by music hall sounds which doesn't do the album any good. But there are very good tracks here of which the first two are the best example. All in all a decent album which arrives at the 45th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/24/2022 15:09
  • Post subject: Round 10: 1978
And here is 1978 with two albums:

One I already own:
Some Girls
Some entries before this Black And Blue passed which already had a lot of disco influences and of course that album can't be mentioned without mentioning Some Girls which goes even further on this path. But in fact the reason is mainly the first track Miss You which indeed features an unforgettable groove. But most of the rest of the album is real Stones rock music and one of the best examples of that is Respectable, one of my favorite Sones tracks because of its dirty, well yes, groove. Something which also goes for that other great track When The Whip Comes Down. So still one of my favorite Stones album which goes up from the 33rd to the 8th rank.
And Btw Repo, there is one great album after Dirty Work: I'm a big fan of Steel Wheels as well.

One on my wishlist:

A Tonic For The Troops by The Boomtown Rats
I never really considered The Boomtown Rats as an album band but this is a fairly decent one. Apart from Rat Trap which to me is their best song, there are other good tracks next to some also very run-off-the-mill ones. All in all an ok album good for the 34th rank.
  • Visit poster's website