3 Hold Onto Your Lightning Bulb by Salvage My Dream
4 Your Place by Boy On Guitar
5 I Thought I Was An Alien by Soko
6 Opera 2 by Vitas
7 Run Every Day by Fist Benders
8 Anime Love Story by Flowers Taped to Pens
9 Among the Wildflowers by The Hotelier
10 Manchild by Eels

Yeah it's kind of a weird mix but that's me. So basically I'm sorry if you don't like track 2 you probably won't like tracks 7 or 8 probably, but please don't get turned off. The basic idea here was to do a playlist of both stuff I'm listening to and that maybe you haven't heard probably before for the most part. First 3ish tracks being sort of sad, next chunk getting into fun, getting into angry, then ending on Manchild because no way I could actually end anything better than Game of Tones.

If you can, definitely listen in order and back-to back so there's not the transition weirdnesses - I thought about order a fair amount with this and to throw in Russian opera next to emo took some planning.

Unfortunately there's a chunk of songs not available on youtube so some of those links go to soundcloud or etc., so sorry this isn't just a playlist. I was hoping to just do spotify and youtube playlists but alas. I also made sure to grab links so nothing goes to Dandy in case anyone was concerned cuz there's a couple of the old Driftwood bands on here. (If y'all don't know what I'm talking about, tl;dr turned out the guy who ran a record label was a really really terrible human being on top of screwing bands over and it killed his label).

Enjoy!

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/03/2016 17:29
  • Post subject:
Anyone had a chance to check this out yet?

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 05/03/2016 17:34
  • Post subject:
this week is my SLP catch-up week... I have this bookmarked Ben!
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 05/03/2016 17:40
  • Post subject:
I've listened to it twice and will come back with some feedback shortly.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2016 05:12
  • Post subject:
just gave it a listen. I would put myself in the boat of ppl not into the sound of track 2, like that high drama in the vox is something I could never get into. I think maybe with a lot of the dude vocal songs, there's a similar sort of more in-your-face expressiveness. Like of course with that Vitas track (which will always sound so ridiculous to me) but even in something that I find totally palatable like the Salvage My Dream track or even the Eels, there's something there. But yeah anyways, that sorta led me to prefer the female vocal tracks, they sorta had more of that distant quality that I'm into. SOKO was especially nice. This was a good listen, Vitas was a total wtf w/r/t flow of course, but the a to b of it made sense to me otherwise.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2016 05:29
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
just gave it a listen. I would put myself in the boat of ppl not into the sound of track 2, like that high drama in the vox is something I could never get into. I think maybe with a lot of the dude vocal songs, there's a similar sort of more in-your-face expressiveness. Like of course with that Vitas track (which will always sound so ridiculous to me) but even in something that I find totally palatable like the Salvage My Dream track or even the Eels, there's something there. But yeah anyways, that sorta led me to prefer the female vocal tracks, they sorta had more of that distant quality that I'm into. SOKO was especially nice. This was a good listen, Vitas was a total wtf w/r/t flow of course, but the a to b of it made sense to me otherwise.

Yeah that vitas track was definitely the most different but I knew I wanted to get him in there somehow and bizarrely the intro to that one especially is among the more normal moments he's got. Glad to hear you liked soko, that whole album is really good though I'm not much of a fan of her new edgier sound

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 05/04/2016 05:50
  • Post subject:
I was only familiar with Manchild before, great closing track on Beautiful Freak (which I haven't heard in years, so thanks for the reminder !). I find this playlist pretty consistent, and I hope you won't be offended if I label it "college radio" (I don't know much about American college radio stations these days, but much of your playlist is a kind of stuff I would hear there when I was in America years ago).

Moving on to the highlights, I particularly enjoy the female-sung songs. Your Place clicked with me to the point that I checked out the entire We Wait EP and they seem to be a promising band. The song by Soko had a nice mellow Velvet-Underground sound about it, I liked the vocalist and the lyrics were fun too. Opera 2 was a surprise in this context, but somehow it provided more variety, so it didn't strike me as being out of place. Oh, and I also enjoyed the vocal harmonies in Hold Onto Your Lightning Bulb.

So, the middle part of your playlist was my favourite. Nice job, mate !
undefined

• Posted: 08/10/2016 21:24
  • Post subject:
Alright so while not all of these were especially to my liking, the high points (Vundabar, First Benders, Flowers Taped to Pens) were very high, and found me with a growing appreciation for styles of music I'm not usually into, so that's an accomplishment in and of itself. Not to mention the Vitas track was really fun, and shockingly not all that out of place. Don't know how you pulled that off. And then finishing off on a familiar note with Eels was quite lovely (great track choice there). Nice mix Ben
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2016 04:39
  • Post subject:
1. Liked. Bullet in the brain because my life is a cliche.
2. I possibly would have gotten into this when I was 16. I got sick of this vocal style for some reason.
3. First two minutes I felt like it needed to be less static. I did like the unconventional outro.
4. Fantastic vocals, but the music was meh for me.
5. This was fantastic. Reminded me of YEAH, I'M IN LOVE WITH AN ANDROID
6. Castrato! Impressive and mind blowing, but wasn't musically intriguing otherwise until the end.
7. Emotionally intriguing, vocally terrible and not in a good way.
8. Interesting collection of noise.
9. Possibly the second best track next to 5. Very Brand New like. I liked the new direction it took.
10. Actually this is the best of the mix. Emotionally and mentally.

The ST and the S/T thing was interesting. Overall I like the emotional aspect of a lot of this (in the sense that it was emotional, but emotionally, it got a bit to angsty for me). It wasn't terribly mentally intriguing.

Thanks for the experience!
  • Visit poster's website