the shape of crunk to come

View previous topic :: View next topic
hazeld

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 17:13
  • Post subject: the shape of crunk to come
everyday for the rest of the year i'm going to be listening to and reviewing the latest and greatest crunk and crunkcore albums. everything from brokencyde to lil jon.

just kidding, but i will be trying to keep this up with something new, something old, and hopefully some nice really weird shit. going to try and stay away from albums in the top 1000 but if i break my own rules i set that's more your issue than mine

will be rating on a thumbs up/thumbs down score because i'm lazy with the occasional "100 Emoji" or 5/100

we got this Laughing Cool
  • Visit poster's website
hazeld

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 17:50
  • Post subject:

Action Jazz by The Thing

nutty.

fairly generic free jazz but it's a great genre to begin with, innit? loving the really stressed bass on quieter tracks like "danny's dream" and i'm falling in and out of love with whoever's drumming on this thing. there are also vocals on this european free jazz record (?) that come out of nowhere and just kind of serve to compliment the lead brass.

thumbs up Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/03/2017 17:58
  • Post subject:
Haker-Flaten is one of the greatest communicators I've seen play; he's rarely off on his own line, always listening to others to provide some cohesion to the performance or the intent of the performance. Gustaffson is one of the worst communicators I've seen play; a Brotzmann but with little soul, he typically blows and yells and sticks to the performance cliche of quiet-buildup-loud-quiet or something like that.
hazeld

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 18:19
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Haker-Flaten is one of the greatest communicators I've seen play; he's rarely off on his own line, always listening to others to provide some cohesion to the performance or the intent of the performance. Gustaffson is one of the worst communicators I've seen play; a Brotzmann but with little soul, he typically blows and yells and sticks to the performance cliche of quiet-buildup-loud-quiet or something like that.

you certainly get the feeling he either has no idea what he's doing or showed up to wrong gig. upon a second listen i can definitely see bass trying to keep up with him. not a jazz aficionada as you can probably tell but i enjoy a few records.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 18:31
  • Post subject:
hazeld wrote:

Action Jazz by The Thing

nutty.

fairly generic free jazz but it's a great genre to begin with, innit? loving the really stressed bass on quieter tracks like "danny's dream" and i'm falling in and out of love with whoever's drumming on this thing. there are also vocals on this european free jazz record (?) that come out of nowhere and just kind of serve to compliment the lead brass.

thumbs up Smile

I have to say this is a cool looking cover. Might try that out. Later. Way later.
  • Visit poster's website
hazeld

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2017 22:04
  • Post subject:

Arrival by ABBA

hard to be anything close to objective on this one, but no writing on art is ever totally impersonal i've found. never gave this record a spin as a "record" per se, and my experience with abba predates my experience with the album as a separate "whole" from the sum of its parts. but a number of songs remind of the people i know and many i've forgotten. it's always a nostalgic return to abba.

a sort of prophetic record, the title "arrival" intended to act as a marker for their first "true" album on the international scene (think bjork's sophmore album "debut") but which ended up marking their ascension not to modest pop success but to international super stardom, eventually putting them on the path to becoming one of the world's best selling artists.

decided to return to abba again for this after an unfortunate episode of morbid curioisity got me to listen to arcade fire's new lp (and god is it awful) but it's because of that listen that this log gets to exist. i find myself often sort of ashamedly in love with abba's blend of disco and europop, a formula not unlike arcade fire's but without the bouts of irony that make "everything now" completely unlistenable. lyngstad and faltskog have those vocals that have the typical nordic strength mixed with an alluring exotic nature that i love about abba. not a whole lot to say about the albums lyrical content.

rating: time of your life/10
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2017 22:48
  • Post subject:
I was actually really wanting to see some Crunk/Hyphy movement era rap.
  • Visit poster's website
hazeld

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2017 01:44
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I was actually really wanting to see some Crunk/Hyphy movement era rap.

buddy if i could this would all be sound collage, musique concerete, and field recordings but i need to pull in those views
  • Visit poster's website
hazeld

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2017 03:14
  • Post subject:

░▒▓新しいデラックスライ...され▣

short one today. i don't know what happened. maybe one of the only legitimately interesting vaporwave albums i've heard. like nostalgia after years of disintegration through memory. "i like to remember things my own way, not necessarily the way they happened"

wop wop wop/10
  • Visit poster's website