Genre and Double Album entries on the album info/pre-1930s

View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2016 04:14
  • Post subject: Genre and Double Album entries on the album info/pre-1930s
It might be helpful to do a couple data fields that are Genre and Double Album.

Genre could maybe have up to 3 possible selections?

One problem with this idea is that it'd be a pain in the ass to audit properly... but it is something I attempt to do on my end (separating decades by genre etc.)

One last point of discussion is to discuss what to do about classical music. I know there's composer/piece and then conductor/philharmonic, etc., but do we really want 80 Beethoven's 9th recordings from all the different variables? I wonder if there could be a piece by composer, just like all other releases, but then maybe a subsection of the album of top rated recordings... something along these lines. For classical musicians, it is important to choose the best recording.

One reason I'm suggesting this change is it would be fun to go past the recording age with music. This would benefit folk music, jazz, classical, etc. basically music prior to 1950 when recordings weren't their best.

I realize this might be hard to accomplish, but I feel music prior to the boom of good recordings is neglected. Then again, is this a music site or is this a recorded album site, and I think the answer it is a recorded album site, but fair idea to improve the site and attract more traffic from those who are more interested in music history and less about official recordings.

Just ideas... I'm sure your to do list is long enough... Thanks again for providing this awesome site!
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/13/2016 06:42
  • Post subject: Re: Genre and Double Album entries on the album info/pre-193
sethmadsen wrote:
It might be helpful to do a couple data fields that are Genre and Double Album.

Thanks for the ideas. At some point, BEA will have some extra attributes for each album to indicate the type of release & split/double/twofer releases would probably be amongst those.

sethmadsen wrote:
Genre could maybe have up to 3 possible selections? One problem with this idea is that it'd be a pain in the ass to audit properly...

The whole idea of genres has been mooted for a long time now, and is on the list to be done. The problem is just finding enough time to do it...

sethmadsen wrote:
One last point of discussion is to discuss what to do about classical music. I know there's composer/piece and then conductor/philharmonic, etc., but do we really want 80 Beethoven's 9th recordings from all the different variables?

BEA attributes albums to the performing artist. It is possible to get a list of all e.g. Beethoven's albums by performing a search for the composer's name and then browsing the search results. However, there isn't an artist page for Beethoven since he's not credited as the performer. I'm sure there's a way, in the future, for the site to add a credit for the composer, but this would need to be done at both album & individual track level since different tracks on an album could be composed by different people.

sethmadsen wrote:
I realize this might be hard to accomplish, but I feel music prior to the boom of good recordings is neglected. Then again, is this a music site or is this a recorded album site, and I think the answer it is a recorded album site, but fair idea to improve the site and attract more traffic from those who are more interested in music history and less about official recordings.

I agree it would add extra depth to the site to be able to browse by composer, but it wouldn't mean that non-recorded pieces could also be added. Once the composer field is added, it would have to only apply to releases that are legitimate for (or already on) BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2016 01:49
albummaster wrote:

BEA attributes albums to the performing artist.

Good to know. I imagine it would be helpful to sort first by composer, then by recording (performance) in my mind, but totally get that it is about recorded performances and not works themselves. Thanks for the clarification on scope.

Again thanks again for all you do! Thought it would be interesting to represent the pre-recorded world in a different way, but makes sense not to.
  • Visit poster's website
Michaell13

• Posted: 07/16/2016 19:06
sethmadsen wrote:
albummaster wrote:

BEA attributes albums to the performing artist.

Again thanks again for all you do! Thought it would be interesting to represent the pre-recorded world in a different way, but makes sense not to.

Sad
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website