BREXIT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Allabaster

• Posted: 07/06/2016 17:08
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
I hope not. Britain has a proud tradition of racism and nationalism, we don't need to borrow or draw from American forms of it.

Racism and nationalism cannot be claimed by any one country, but Donald Trump's politics are much more in the European tradition than the American.
andy_hunter

Cape Verde

• Posted: 07/06/2016 19:52
  • Post subject:
My prediction....

Best Albums of 2014. Rate That Shiz, yo
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/02/2017 16:44
  • Post subject:
Don't know where to put this but I found this funny

• Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/18/2017 18:07
  • Post subject:
Crackle and pop general election time. Seems pretty likely the Tories are set to just extend their tenure to 2022. Hoping those in favour of Remain will have some kind of rally, but I'm getting pretty used to the Western World moving further and further right at this point. Historical times for sure.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/30/2017 21:12
  • Post subject:
Politics in this country is a joke. The fact that the government has the nerve to do this speaks volumes about Labour's strength right now.

At the one point in my lifetime when a strong opposition was most critical they are completely absent. It's pathetic.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/01/2017 00:30
  • Post subject:
For your bottle of red America is the bottle of white
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/01/2017 05:29
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
For your bottle of red America is the bottle of white

Rolling Eyes

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/01/2017 16:34
  • Post subject:
I guess to gauge a little closer to home, what does this mean for the future of Great Britian as a whole? How serious are the talks of another Scottish independent vote soon after, or perhaps even before, the official "Brexit-ing", and possibly even Northern Ireland (the latter in which would seem like one massive can of worms I don't think anybody would be prepared for)? I knew there were grumblings of a London succession, which from my distanced view always seemed akin to when Texas or California blustered about leaving the United States and not something to be taken too seriously, but apparently it's much more real and heated than I thought (or maybe not, again interesting to hear from a Brit/London-er), and I don't see how the English economy could possibly survive it's Capitol leaving the union. I mean not to bag on England too much but it isn't exactly set on the Alps or the mediterrenean, I don't see it becoming a supersized version of those tiny tax-havens of Liechtenstein, Luxembourg or their own Gibralter... but if London (and possibly southeast england as a whole) left I don't really see how it could avoid that route? Or I don't know, again interesting to hear from someone on the ground.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/01/2017 22:42
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
I guess to gauge a little closer to home, what does this mean for the future of Great Britian as a whole? How serious are the talks of another Scottish independent vote soon after, or perhaps even before, the official "Brexit-ing", and possibly even Northern Ireland (the latter in which would seem like one massive can of worms I don't think anybody would be prepared for)? I knew there were grumblings of a London succession, which from my distanced view always seemed akin to when Texas or California blustered about leaving the United States and not something to be taken too seriously, but apparently it's much more real and heated than I thought (or maybe not, again interesting to hear from a Brit/London-er), and I don't see how the English economy could possibly survive it's Capitol leaving the union. I mean not to bag on England too much but it isn't exactly set on the Alps or the mediterrenean, I don't see it becoming a supersized version of those tiny tax-havens of Liechtenstein, Luxembourg or their own Gibralter... but if London (and possibly southeast england as a whole) left I don't really see how it could avoid that route? Or I don't know, again interesting to hear from someone on the ground.

Talks of another Scottish independence vote are very serious. Pretty much the main purpose of the Scottish National Party is to to break Scotland away from the UK and they are by far the most dominant force in Scottish politics. The SNP represent all but three Scottish constituencies in the UK parliament and have a majority in the Scottish parliament. Scottish independence isn't the only reason people vote for them of course; some supporters of the party clearly don't support independence else the last referendum would've gone the other way. But either way the huge support for the SNP gives their leader Nicola Sturgeon the political capital she needs to press for another referendum. Support for both another referendum and for Scottish independence are both between 40-50% so they're minority positions but only just.

Any second referendum would have to be sanctioned by the UK parliament however and Theresa May has ruled out another referendum until after the Brexit negotiations have concluded ie two years from now. This makes sense to me as the Scottish people should be able to actually know what the two options are rather than be forced to guess the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. After Brexit has actually happened though then who knows. Support for independence may either increase or decrease depending on how well Scots like the outcome. If support for a second referendum grew to much over 50% then it would be hard for Theresa May to keep denying it, and if we ever actually get to that point I think independence would be pretty likely. Essentially it all depends on the next couple of years and how Brexit actually unfolds and the impact of Brexit on Scotland's mood for independence. It's a very real possibility though and something that I'm very worried about. I'd give it about an even chance of happening during the next decade.

London's not going anywhere though. A lot of Londoners feel disenfranchised after Brexit which they didn't vote for and to a lesser extent because we have a Conservative majority that not many of them voted for. This feeling of disenfranchisement is much the same as what drives the independence movement in Scotland where they feel unrepresented in (UK) government (they never had this problem when New Labour were in power and half the cabinet were Scottish however). But the London identity is not as strong as the Scottish one so for this and countless other reasons which make the idea completely unfeasible, all talk of London independence is just that. It won't happen.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/08/2017 23:47
  • Post subject:
So.... thoughts about the UK elections?
  • Visit poster's website