"Wake Up" – 4:07
"The Long Defeat" – 4:11
"Seneca" – 1:00
"Black Honey" – 3:59
"Stay with Me" – 4:00
"Death from Above" – 3:37
"Whistleblower" – 3:26
"Salt and Shadow" – 6:08

Excited for the "reunion" album? Think it will be to snuff?

Sometimes when bands take a break and come back they suck... (Incubus, amiright?)

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2016 03:36
  • Post subject:
I for one love the lyric:

"Blood On The Sand"

We wave our flags, we swallow fear like medicine
We kiss the hands of profiteers and their congressmen
But I've seen too much (of this fear and hate)
I've had enough (and I'm not afraid)
To raise a shout, to make it clear
This has to end

Represents 'Mericuh pretty well these days.

More info on album:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Be_Eve...ck_listing
  • Visit poster's website
FatalIn10sity

• Posted: 05/19/2016 04:11
  • Post subject:
I haven't listened to much Thrice to be honest. What I do know is that Thrice's singer/rhythm guitarist Dustin Kensrue was heavily involved with the controversial Mars Hills Church and that has been off putting to some. He even formed a side project (The Modern Post) at a Mars Hill church. Now as far as the new Thrice albums goes if I do listen to it, it'll likely be way after its release date.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2016 04:23
  • Post subject:
FatalIn10sity wrote:
I haven't listened to much Thrice to be honest. What I do know is that Thrice's singer/rhythm guitarist Dustin Kensrue was heavily involved with the controversial Mars Hills Church and that has been off putting to some. He even formed a side project (The Modern Post) at a Mars Hill church. Now as far as the new Thrice albums goes if I do listen to it, it'll likely be way after its release date.

Oh... interesting. I usually don't care about that stuff.

I saw this post that said Beck is inferior because he's a Scientologist. I honestly don't give a shit. I like Beck regardless. Muslim, Mormon, Scientologist, Psycho Christian Church, Satanist, Athiest... if they make good music and represent humanity in a way that transcends bullshit... I like them.

I didn't like early Thrice because that whole pop punk thing or whatever wasn't my cup of tea, but I do consider this a real piece of art (whatever that means). It's set of 4 EP's representing the original elements: Air, Water, Fire, and Earth.

The Alchemy Index by Thrice

Basically everything from this album onwards I've enjoyed.

Not like earth shattering the best music ever written enjoyed, but way better than some bland indie pop band.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 05/19/2016 05:29; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2016 05:19
  • Post subject:
FatalIn10sity wrote:

Sorry... I didn't really read this with much thought other than I don't care about his personal life.

Are you trying to say you have a little bit of fear that the new album will have some psycho christian stuff going on? Cause yeah... that'd be kind of a buzz kill for me too... like burn all the abortion clinics down or we don't watch TV or listen to music because Jesus would be mad at us kind of psycho christian.

Normal Christian like this is actually pretty good (I pee a little when that lead guitar comes in AMAZBOMBS in tone):

Link
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2016 06:30
  • Post subject:
Thrice will forever be to me the guys that wanted to be Brand New and just aren't quite. They're not bad, but whenever I start to listen to them I find myself throwing on another band instead (not just Brand New, oddly enough, but Thursday, Finch, Glassjaw, or Circa as well). I don't know why but we've never quite clicked.

I'll probably give the new album a listen through and then get distracted by the other music out there, which in some ways is a pity.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
FatalIn10sity

• Posted: 05/19/2016 06:41
  • Post subject:
@sethmadsen I was just saying that Dustin was involved with Mars Hill Church, which pissed some of his fans off.

The reason why I'll wait a bit to listen to the album has not to do with any fear of anything christian that might be on the album. I Just haven't been listening to 2016 albums around their release date.

@benpaco Thrice was apart of the group of post hardcore bands that did become mainstream around the time that nu metal did too. At that time Thrice didn't click with me either, but for different reason than yours. I happened to just be into nu metal at the time. Now that I don't have anywhere near the passion for nu metal as I once did and have gotten into post hardcore, I just really don't listen to any of the bands from that era much. Which is something I probably should do more.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2016 08:14
  • Post subject:
I hated AIAA and the alchemy set, but vheisshu's pretty cool. like ben said though, anytime i put thrice on, i end up listening to someone else before long (brand new, mewithoutyou, circa, etc.).
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2016 02:45
  • Post subject:
hehehe...

cool I guess that answers my question if there are any Thrice fans.

It was actually these three albums that got me into them... and for some reason people started to loose interest in them.

Probably doesn't help that a friend of mine and a guitarist I respect and was in a band with had this as his favorite band.

I think I also love their use of baritone guitars.

I don't care for their earlier stuff. Maybe Staring at the Sun and a couple songs off Vheisshu

Beggars by Thrice

Major/Minor by Thrice

Already posted the third earlier.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2016 02:48
  • Post subject:
FatalIn10sity wrote:
@sethmadsen I was just saying that Dustin was involved with Mars Hill Church, which pissed some of his fans off.

The reason why I'll wait a bit to listen to the album has not to do with any fear of anything christian that might be on the album. I Just haven't been listening to 2016 albums around their release date.

@benpaco Thrice was apart of the group of post hardcore bands that did become mainstream around the time that nu metal did too. At that time Thrice didn't click with me either, but for different reason than yours. I happened to just be into nu metal at the time. Now that I don't have anywhere near the passion for nu metal as I once did and have gotten into post hardcore, I just really don't listen to any of the bands from that era much. Which is something I probably should do more.

Ah ok... sorry. I totally realized my comment could have been understood dick like. In a nice way, I was just saying if it doesn't influence the music in very noticeable ways, I kinda don't care about personal life, but then again, some of the political stuff the bands I like (Rage Against the Machine) does add a layer to their music I enjoy that maybe, say, the Foo Fighters doesn't have.

I also admittedly went and read about it.
  • Visit poster's website