Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/05/2016 15:02
  • Post subject: BEA Brit Meetup - October/November
*Imagine an elaborate header image here or sumting*

Hey there fellers. Last year we attempted a Brit meetup in Manchester. It was a bit of a damp squib in terms of turnout, though still a great time. This time, we're planning on a much larger meetup, one which will be way more fucking lit.

I figured October will be the best time, as for those of us in uni it won't be right after starting the new semester. But of course, November could work too. General opinion is for London (mostly so we can get some of you Frenchies down).

So basically this thread is just for seeing who's interested and organising when to do it/what to do.

Info so far:

Taking place in London

Me: Almost certainly there
Jure: Gonna be in UK, likely seeing Angel Olsen in Manchester (Friday 14th) or London (Monday 17th)
Gavin: Available from the 4th onwards
Tom: Definitely there
Jim: There unless its on the 15th
Puncture: Possibly there.

Last edited by alelsupreme on 08/19/2016 21:13; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 08/05/2016 15:47
  • Post subject:
After I finally graduate I'm rewarding myself with some travelling. I think I could make a stop in London, as the flights to/from there are pretty cheap.
Generally I was thinking late september, but October could also work. So count me in as "interested".
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/05/2016 16:03
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
After I finally graduate I'm rewarding myself with some travelling. I think I could make a stop in London, as the flights to/from there are pretty cheap.
Generally I was thinking late september, but October could also work. So count me in as "interested".

Coincidentally, I'm thinking of travelling to Ljubljana after I graduate this winter. Hoping to travel to a few places around that area... Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Split etc... For the sake of asking, how common is English over there? I usually try to learn a bit of the language spoken, but Czech, Slovene, Hungarian, etc... look really complex Anxious

Hoping the Brit meet up goes well Smile These things are always a bit of fun. Best of luck.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 08/05/2016 16:06
  • Post subject:
Damn, my timing is the worst. I'm visiting London in early September for about three days, I'll be organising myself for college and my debs in October, and I won't have enough time to plan another flight to London if I wanted to, so I don't think I can make it. Sad
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2016 16:13
  • Post subject:
if this is october 4th or later, i'm more than down
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 08/05/2016 16:21
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
19loveless91 wrote:

Coincidentally, I'm thinking of travelling to Ljubljana after I graduate this winter. Hoping to travel to a few places around that area... Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Split etc... For the sake of asking, how common is English over there? I usually try to learn a bit of the language spoken, but Czech, Slovene, Hungarian, etc... look really complex Anxious .

Around here (particularly in Ljubljana) everybody knows at least basic english, and younger people can generally speak it very well. Not completely sure about those other places, but I imagine it's not so different. And yeah, Slovene is pretty complex, and Hungarian is in its own category altogether. But in Slavic languages, there are some expressions that are common in several languages. I don't know how useful it is to learn them though...
If you're coming down here, let me know!
  • Visit poster's website
RetiredChampion

• Posted: 08/05/2016 18:29
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:

eyyy come to canada boi
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 08/06/2016 16:22
  • Post subject:
RetiredChampion wrote:
19loveless91 wrote:

eyyy come to canada boi

You mean like TO14, except two years later and just me getting wasted for two weeks? Yeah I'd fucking do it if my money situation were better.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/07/2016 10:25
  • Post subject:
count me in ofc
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 08/19/2016 00:55
  • Post subject:
So how about this. I graduate and I do an October trip across UK. It depends on money, but I'm thinking megabusing/taking trains: Edinburgh - Glasgow - lolcumbria/Lake District - Manchester - London, (or the other way)...

Depending on the money/time I'd also fly to Oslo first, because I really want to go there, and fly to UK from there. My first idea was to have a nature-based trip, complete with hiking and wild camping. Like, doing that in Norway first, because I saw it in a Norwegian movie Out of Nature last year and it seemed cool, then going to UK and explore some parks there. But then I realized my camping skills are about zero, and if I go alone in fucking october, there's less of a chance I'll end up being awkward and embarrased like the guy in Norwegian movie and more like the guy in Into the Wild, ie. dead.

So maybe I'm doing cities instead with a few days of chilling in lolcumbria nature in between. What do you think? Is it a really bad idea? And where do I meet you guys? Of course, Angel Olsen is having her UK tour in October, so if I end up doing this, you better believe I'll be there, either in Manchester or London.
  • Visit poster's website