Album Discussion Party: Nilsson Sings Newman

View previous topic :: View next topic
Rhett

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2016 20:55
  • Post subject: Album Discussion Party: Nilsson Sings Newman
Please listen to the album (hopefully twice) and then start discussing. I'm not an expert on the album, but I do love it dearly, and mostly I find it interesting.

Harry Nilsson was both one of the great voices of his generation and one of the great songwriters of his generation. So why would he spend an album covering another writer's songs?

Listen not just to Nilsson's voice and interpretation, but to Newman's piano playing.

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=4082
  • Visit poster's website
Rhett

United States

• Posted: 08/29/2016 02:04
  • Post subject:
Newman is one of our most satirical writers, exposing prejudice left and right. Witness his hit "Short People". Or more to the point, "Sail Away," which is a pitch to Africans to come to be slaves in America.

Nilsson isn't afraid to sing the hell out of Newman's provocative songs. He covers "Sail Away" elsewhere. On this album, he tackles "Yellow Man." Nilsson is the smoother singer, and with the beautiful layering of his vocals, his version may be even more horrifying in its casual racism than the Newman version (which is found on the album 12 Songs--you may know the song "Mama Told Me Not to Come" from that album).

Nilsson's "Yellow Man" may be the prettiest song on Nilsson Sings Newman. I imagine we're supposed to shocked and embarrassed when we move past the gorgeous sound and start to notice the lyrics.

Newman's version is not to be missed. (Ry Cooder, Jim Gordon, and other familiar musicians grace 12 Songs.) It's a bit more sharp, staccato, swampy, and swingy. But Newman doesn't seem to cover up his offense--he hits us with it. Both are winners, but I find Nilsson's more subtle and dreamy and enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duY29_FwZmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWPfWqH-oJ8
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2016 05:05
  • Post subject:
That was interesting to hear the differences between those two and do feel Nilsson was a better performer and was much more interesting in the arrangements.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the album yet, but I'd love to hear more about the details of why you love this album.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2016 14:53
  • Post subject:
I love Randy Newman, I truly think he's one of the greatest songwriters in history. I like the interpretations on this album, obviously this was before Randy Newman was big and this is a great intro into his stuff. It's a gentle, subtle album, and Nilsson's voice is excellent. For anyone who might have been put off by Randy Newman's voice, Nilsson's makes these awesome songs a little easier to digest (though I personally love Newman's voice).

But yea, I enjoy the simplicity of this album. The main focus is the songs, the lyrics, and that's where Randy Newman shines the most, that's where the focus should be, and Nilsson was smart enough to recognize that. It's graceful and well-crafted, and it does a good job of featuring a songwriter as odd and idiosyncratic as Newman is.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2016 02:53
  • Post subject:
On a side note, every time the Los Angeles Dodgers win a game, they blast Newman's "I love LA", and it's great way to exit the stadium, even after all these years.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhett

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2016 04:12
  • Post subject:
I'd imagine that nowadays people would mostly know Newman from the Pixar soundtracks.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 09/02/2016 22:55
  • Post subject:
Nice recommendation! What I really like about this is it makes me want to check out both of these artists. I have next to no experience with Harry Nilsson, and I've heard all of Sail Away from Randy Newman and that's about it. I always found that I liked his writing, but his singing voice and arrangements, while good, made it hard for me to completely get into him. Nilsson's voice is more versatile and I love his performances of these songs. There's some really rocking moments on here, and some more tender ones. I can't get his version of Love Story (You and Me) out of my head now- I love his voice on that one.

In relation to that song, I found the line "He'll be straight/'Cause we don't want no bent one" interesting. It seems to be a straight love song, and then that line's in there. I'm just assuming its some weird Randy Newman joke? It's really cool that it doesn't seem out of place in the context of the song, which I suppose just points to how great his songwriting is. Also, the way Harry Nilsson sings this line is great, and, I think, adds a lot.

This album also really highlights how great Newman's piano playing is. That can kind of get lost on his own albums, but here, with some sparser arrangements, he really is able to shine. It's definitely going to be something I focus on when I go back and listen to his solo stuff.

Anyway, that's my thoughts for the moment. Might come back and add some more, but really enjoyed this album. I've got to watch out and make sure I actually do check out these guys beyond this- I'm getting obsessed!
  • Visit poster's website
Rhett

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2016 01:14
  • Post subject:
Glad you liked it, indieshins. I think Love Story (You and Me) is a world-class vocal performance.

I'll have more to say this weekend, but now I'll just say that once you get to know Nilsson, you'll keep coming back to him. Maybe not often, but he'll always be there for you. Check out Nilsson Schmilsson.
  • Visit poster's website