SLP#27 (by dividesbyzero): Nameless Bones

View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 09/27/2016 20:48
  • Post subject: SLP#27 (by dividesbyzero): Nameless Bones
CHECK IT (please)

--------
infinite thank to the one and only Squishypuffdave for the dope cover art

the title is a reference to the fact that I couldn't think of a name and Dave gave me a cool picture of a skull thing. Also it sounds cool leave me alone

Anyway, now that I've done my part in commenting on the mixes of all you lovely people, I hope to give a little something back. Like my last one, there's not consistent theme so much as I just felt like these things flowed in a way that resonated with me, and I like them all, and I hope you will too. Much love and hugs,
Gabe.

Tracks:

1. Symphony of the Birds: Third Movement (Misterioso) by Jim Fassett
2. Coke White, Starlight by Mykki Blanco
3. 3rd Dgre by Zebra Katz
4. Feedback (J Beatz Remix) by Jammer
5. Les espaces acoustiques, movement 3: "Partiels" composed by Gérard Grisey and performed by Asko Ensemble, WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln, and Garth Knox under Stefan Asbury
6. Malcolm X by The Beatnigs
7. Meander by The Missing Brazilians
8. Joan of Arcadia by B. Dolan
9. Weekend Away Break by Meira Asher
10. Horizons by Menachem Zur
11. Taco Me Manque by The Dead Texan
12. Feb. 4 '99 (For All Those Killed by Cops) by Mike Ladd

it's a tad long I know, but I do hope you will stay for the whole thing. Was a labor of love indeed.

As before, if you would care for a zip of the thing to throw into your iTunes (complete with cover art and sexy consistent metadata), feel free to PM me and I can hook you up.

but yeah once again CHECK IT (pretty please)

love y'all
<3
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 09/28/2016 06:45
  • Post subject:
Whose bones are they? The bones of those we once loved? The bones of ancient kings? Or were they our bones all along? We'll never know. They're nameless.

Opener and closer were brilliant. Pretty unsettling overall experience. If you'd played that second track as an instrumental I never would have conceived of anyone rapping over it. The more electronic stuff was cool but the opener had me craving more sonorous acoustic resonances and such.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 09/28/2016 14:41
  • Post subject:
Id like to jump it's bon... oh wait

Yeah that cover art is totally lit, def high promise for the playlist which Ill listen to sometime today or tommorrow or some day after that
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 09/28/2016 18:49
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
The more electronic stuff was cool but the opener had me craving more sonorous acoustic resonances and such.

the Menachem Zur track didn't scratch that itch? In any case thanks for listening and I'm glad you got something out of it, and of course thanks again for the crazy awesome cover art Smile

btw just as a disclaimer, I kinda just made the mix I wanted to hear, so I can't guarantee any of you fine people will be in love with it unless your crazy is at all similar to mine. Regardless would love to hear what anyone thinks, positive or negative
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 09/28/2016 22:04
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
the Menachem Zur track didn't scratch that itch?

It did 100%. I meant there were a couple of spots where I was waiting for the mixtape to return to that creeping fleshy swamp of noise again. Last few tracks definitely brought it home.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2016 00:06
  • Post subject:
I've heard it once...

You know me and my struggles with some of this stuff. I didn't fall in love with any of it BUT:

It's super intriguing and makes anything I listen to regularly feel like teen bop (probably because it really is... haahaha) There were definite highlights and when I can put my thoughts together I'll definitely update this.

For now:
So I had this almost dreamlike thought as I was listening to it/revisiting what I heard:

It was like Shostakovitch or Schoenberg and Malcom X started hanging out... but like Schoenberg was actually like a beat poet from the 50s and Malcom X was an early 80s rapper. Idk... that doesn't make any sense like a dream but that's where it took me.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/03/2016 16:51
  • Post subject:
Ooh yeah that got kinky with the darkest parts of my subconscious. I really can't say I know what to make of it on first listen, feels like it will just get more revealing with each listen. Definitely has a strong, emotional finish even as the playlist kind of meanders (in a good way, mostly) in the middle.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2016 21:24
  • Post subject:
bold approach going back and forth between the beat driven stuff and the not beat driven stuff. I checked out that Meira Asher from a list you had a while back I think, need to give it more listening. And the Fassett and Grisey stuff I really need to look into, never checked out that whole Spectral Music stuff, seems interesting. And Menachem Zur also seems cool. Blanco thru Jammer section wasn't quite my sort of stuff but there was some good flow, especially between Zebra Katz and Jammer. That was probably the best transition. I do think something a bit more focused would have been stronger maybe, but it was fun jumping around. And there's some stuff too check out for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 10/12/2016 06:13
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I do think something a bit more focused would have been stronger maybe, but it was fun jumping around.

yeah that's totally fair, and I kinda knew it was a bit scattered going forward, but like, its kinda hard to explain but the way my brain works this flowed p nice for me and like last time I just sorta made the mix I wanted to hear, even though I realized about half way through that there might be a bit of dissonance there when presenting it to others.

It's weird whenever I've done DJ stuff irl I always tailor what I do to the crowd at hand but with these SLPs I've been doing my own shit (to eh... varying degrees of success...)

anywho thanks for checking it out and glad you found some stuff worth checking out! (In particular I think you'd really dig that Israeli electroacoustic comp)
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2016 04:35
  • Post subject:
I liked it - the back and forth... like I said it was like beat poets and rappers hanging out... felt good.
  • Visit poster's website