Best Ever Horror Films [Poll][Cut]

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/01/2016 20:34
  • Post subject: Best Ever Horror Films [Poll][Cut]

Boo.

BEA is going to focus our next film list on horror films Twisted Evil This is our second theme poll after animated films (which, are of course, allowed in this poll as well), and I'm sure this will result in some questioning on what is eligible and what isn't. We'll work that out over time. Any films that is tagged as horror on IMDb or Letterboxd is automatically eligible.

Rules are the same as all the other times, but here's a reminder.

The gist/ rules:

BEA's composes a list of our favourite horror films Smile

All lists will be PMed to me, maxing out at 100. The final list will be 100 films. This time around, I'll be accepting lists of any denotation up to 100. The size of your list determines it's weight.

All films above 30 minutes from any decade are allowed.

Lists will also be accepted in IMDb and Letterboxd format. Deadline is October 29th, and the list will be posted on October 30th.

Last edited by Hayden on 10/30/2016 15:54; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2016 21:44
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
badseed wrote:
Any other ideas?
Best ever horror films...

You're welcome for pitching the idea.

badseed wrote:
I just hope we don't end up with psychological thrillers and detective stories all over it; pretty sure 80% of the internet thinks Silence of the Lambs is horror, and then the other 20% watch actual horror movies.

benpaco wrote:
It is a kind of interesting question, it's not tagged as horror on IMDb but things that are horror and would count for this list as is include Vampire's Kiss and Hellboy. Other ones that aren't tagged horror but an argument could be made are things like Monster House, Pan's Labyrinth, Shutter Island, The Sixth Sense, Aliens, Jaws, Super 8. I wouldn't have a number of those on my list personally but to have a horror list without at least allowing Jaws feels wrong

We knew this conversation was bound to take place. What is an 'actual horror movie?' Where is the line drawn between horror and thriller? Horror and sci-fi? Is there such a thing as a pure horror? These are questions we will likely consider when we make our lists. For example, take two classics, Jaws and Halloween. I consider both horror films. In my opinion, Jaws is a better overall film, but Halloween is a better horror film because it is a better representative of what defines the genre. And I would put it higher on a list like this.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on horror-comedies like Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil? These films aren't scary, but they contain elements of horror. How would they play on your lists?
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2016 04:12
  • Post subject:
^yes^

Perhaps Jaws and Jurassic Park are horror films, but since they're not filmed in a gothic style of any sort they certainly don't seem to define the genre even though they're better than most horror films. Same with Silence of the Lambs and Seven - very commercial looking, accessible, non scary filmmaking style. Also I should point out that the main character in both of those films is neither the killer nor the person being stalked by the killer, which is very non horror-ish in my opinion.

However I feel like giallo is a subgenre of horror even though they're primarily whodunit mysteries.

I'll get to work on my list tonight. Looking forward to it.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2016 04:56
  • Post subject:
For me, horror comedy is a huge part of the genre and should be included. That's largely because a lot of my favorites fall into horror comedy, but I still think that they should count, and a lot of the great horror movies do include at least some element of comedic relief.

I think of something like Silence of the Lambs, Seven, Insomnia, Law Abiding Citizen, Minority Report, and etc. seem to all be more crime movies or thrillers than horror. Something like Jaws has a clearly defined "monster" and I think that helps define it as a horror movie at least in my eyes. Jurassic Park I've always thought of as kind of sci fi more than horror but I could see the case. The Sixth Sense has an obvious and clear supernatural element and is spoopy but is it really a horror film? Monster House should count (though should not be that high on anyone's lists) in my opinion. I haven't seen Coraline and can't speak to it.

My biggest issue with this is my love for schlocky/bad horror and sci-fi/horror films. Not just stuff like Sharknado but Critters, Zombeavers, several of the films in Holidays, Attack of the Giant Leeches, I even somewhat have a soft spot in my heart for El Mascarado Massacre. But like ... how do you compare Zombeavers to The Babadook? Or Critters to The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? There's just different end goals from those films.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2016 05:19
  • Post subject:
I just rewatched Shutter Island. One of my favorite films. Definitely not a horror film.
  • Visit poster's website
DrewHamster

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2016 05:48
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
I just rewatched Shutter Island. One of my favorite films. Definitely not a horror film.

I second this. I recall Shutter Island being advertised like it was a horror film to get people to see it, but that's about it.
  • Visit poster's website
DrewHamster

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2016 06:14
  • Post subject:
I seriously doubt 99% of my favorite horror films will end up on the list, but it can't hurt to try and I love each of these films so...

Based on my Favorite Films list on IMDB with the "Horror" filter applied:

1. Scream
2. Alien
3. Final Destination
4. Silent Hill
5. Final Destination 5
6. Saw
7. Tremors
8. Saw II
9. The Shining
10. Final Destination 3
11. The Collector
12. From Dusk Till Dawn
13. Tremors II: Aftershocks
14. Alien 3 (Only the Assembly Cut of course Very Happy )
15. Final Destination 2 (Obviously I love this series)
16. Predator
17. The Evil Dead
18. Maniac (2012)
19. Predator 2
20. Evil Dead
21. Detention (2011) (<Not like someone else will have it anyways)
22. Devil
23. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) (I've never seen the original, I know blasphemy Sad )
24. Hostel
25. Drag Me To Hell
26. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
27. Friday The 13th (2009)
28. Resident Evil
29. Freddy vs. Jason
30. New Nightmare
31. The Mist
32. The Abandoned (2006)
33. Halloween (2007) (Again have yet to see the original and boy do I know this one gets hate)
34. Saw IV
35. Scream 2
36. Scream 4
37. Scream 3
38. The Final Destination
39. Saw VI
40. Saw 3D: The Final Chapter
41. Saw III
42. Saw V (They're all bunched together because it's like 1 long story/film for me)
43. Army of Darkness
44. The Collection
45. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
46. Evil Dead II
47. Hellraiser
48. You're Next
49. Jason Lives: Friday The 13th Part VI
50. Jacob's Ladder
51. Mindhunters
52. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
53. Under The Skin
54. A Field In England
55. Oculus
56. Jeepers Creepers II
57. Friday The 13th Part III
58. The Voices
59. Dark Water
60. The Descent

There's a few more on my list, but I figured it's better to stop at an even 60. There's like a bunch of "the classics" I haven't seen and some that I have, but didn't love. Also my order changes a lot except for say the top 3, but ya here it is Anxious

Edit: What the hell? American Psycho isn't horror? Well I'm not changing my list I guess, but it definitely feels like a horror movie to me. I also own Se7en and The Silence of the Lambs, but I can see why they aren't considered horror.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 10/02/2016 07:33
  • Post subject:
I ain't making any list without comedy horror goddammit
badseed

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2016 07:49
  • Post subject:
What about the eligibility of TV movies and/or miniseries? Thinking mainly for Salem's Lot & It. Not sure if I'd include them anyway, just stumbled on them doing research and wasn't sure about it.

(Edit: I'm really on the fence about Bride of Frankenstein. It's either top 5 of all time for me or doesn't make the list at all since its more of a drama than a horror film as the monster is humanized. But perhaps it's the living people who are the monsters? Hmm...)

((Edit: Looking here has me realizing that a lot of fantastic scary movies might not be horror enough to make my list. The Virgin Spring anyone? (Les)Diabolique(s)? Under the Skin?))

(((Edit: Everyone be sure to check out The Bad Seed. As a father I couldn't imagine many things more terrifying.)))

((((Edit: Am I the only one who likely won't include either Carrie or Misery on my list? I mean, they're alright I guess, but nothing special aside from the key actors.))))

(((((Edit: Oh Jeezus. Am I the only sick fuck who's likely going to include A Serbian Film? I'm sure some of y'all will at least put Antichrist, yeah? This is gonna be fun.)))))

((((((Edit: Since I compared horror to metal in the other thread, here's another similarity. Take a film like Lucio Fulci's The Beyond, a very flawed film I happen to love. Bathory's Under the Sign of the Black Mark isn't great because of its singing (acting) or its lyrics (screenplay), but for its loud, nasty sound (gruesome, horrific imagery).))))))

(((((((Edit: After scanning through every horror film on IMDb with more than 500 votes, which was over 4000 films, I figure I've seen roughly half of them, and then also considered shorts, direct to video, and the aforementioned TV movies; I only wrote down 115 that seemed worthy of making it. Now I see why people dislike horror so much. Lots of shit. But my top 100 is gonna be money. Looking like a small handful of directors will show up quite a few times, but there's gonna be a little bit of every kind of horror movie. Coming soon.........)))))))
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/02/2016 14:35
  • Post subject:
Aight, I'll read all of this in a second Laughing

But I'll clear this up now:

Comedy horror is certainly allowed (I think it's very important to the genre. What We Do In The Shadows is going to be fairly high on my list).

I think the easiest way to do this is that if YOU think that a film fits on this list as horror, then you should include it on your list. If no one else thinks that it's considers horror, then it won't have enough points to make the final list anyway.

The typical thriller isn't horror though... so please don't include stuff like Scarface and Goodfellas just because there's lots of blood and people die and there are some scary parts Laughing

I've never actually seen Jaws, so I have no idea how to gauge that, but if you want to put it on your list, I thiiiink it's ok. At least the soundtrack is very horror-core.

Mini-series will be allowed, I'm all good for that (maximum 10 episodes). TV shows won't be though.

The previously mentioned Coraline will be allowed.

Quote:
(((((Edit: Oh Jeezus. Am I the only sick fuck who's likely going to include A Serbian Film? I'm sure some of y'all will at least put Antichrist, yeah? This is gonna be fun.)))))

Not Serbian, but A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is definitely going to be on my list. Awesome film.
  • Visit poster's website