Reverse Insert BEA Link

View previous topic :: View next topic
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2016 20:35
  • Post subject: Reverse Insert BEA Link
When someone inserts a BEA Link, it's a very efficient mechanism for putting the album cover and a link to the album page. Excellent work, AlbumMaster! I use it all the time.

When I'm on an album's page, I'd like to know what's been said about that album in the forums. If there was a set of links where "Insert BEA Link" had been activated for that album, that would help my research considerably.

Can this be done?

Also, is there a way that to sort the list of Album Of The Days by something other than the Day it was Album Of The, so that you can find at least some forum discussion on the album you're researching?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2016 20:56
  • Post subject:
I may have figured out an answer, but it's complicated.

I tested this with Fly Like an Eagle (Steve Miller Band), which, you will see at the top of its album page is #1494.

Go to Forum Search (it's a menu item under Forums)
Under "Search For Keyword" type the following:
thechart?a=1494]
The Closed Bracket at the end is necessary or else it will pick up albums 14940 - 149499.

Select "Search for any terms or use query as entered"
Select "Search message text only"
Display results as Post.

And there you are. Most of the posts were from the "What are you listing to right now?" topic, and there was an argument over which version of Fly Like an Eagle was better, Steve Miller's or Seal's.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/07/2016 08:12
  • Post subject: Re: Reverse Insert BEA Link
Listmeister wrote:
When someone inserts a BEA Link, it's a very efficient mechanism for putting the album cover and a link to the album page. Excellent work, AlbumMaster! I use it all the time.

When I'm on an album's page, I'd like to know what's been said about that album in the forums. If there was a set of links where "Insert BEA Link" had been activated for that album, that would help my research considerably.

Can this be done?

Also, is there a way that to sort the list of Album Of The Days by something other than the Day it was Album Of The, so that you can find at least some forum discussion on the album you're researching?

Thanks for the ideas. Regards the second point, it's on the list to put a search box on the album of the day history page to allow people to filter for particular artists or albums. Most things are being held up at the moment with the background work redesigning the site.

The first point is difficult to implement, but some kind of search link could be added there which could take you to a search results page showing the posts that contain the album (the search could be performed in a similar way to what you suggested).
  • Visit poster's website