Might as well

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2016 02:14
  • Post subject: Might as well
Every day when I get home from school the first thing I do is sit down at the computer and open up three tabs: BestEverAlbums, Youtube or Pandora, and Schoology. For the next three or four or five hours as I'm doing my homework I listen to an album, rating each track as it goes by, and then finally finding the average track rating and rating the album accordingly. (I rate albums sorta like school grades. 92 and up is A+, 88 to 91 is A, 84 to 87 is B+, 78 to 83 is B, 76 to 77 is C+, 70 to 75 is C, 65 to 69 is D, less than 65 is F.) I then add that album to my best of each years list, and then, if it's good enough, to my best of each decades list, and then, if it's really good, to my best of all time list. It's been going pretty well so far, as I've listened to more than 600 albums and I'm pretty proud of that.
A project I've recently picked up is trying to listen to the full discography of each artist or band that I like, rating each album, and averaging that rating for an overall artist rank. I've gone through almost 50 artists now, and it's really cool, cause it allows me to get familiar with artists that I only had a limited knowledge of before, especially bands with lots of albums, like Sonic Youth and Pink Floyd.
In doing this, I've sunk into a really comfortable rhythm, and I've decided that I'd like to keep a journal of what I'm doing, just for myself and for anyone who's interested. So that's my little backstory. I'll probably be posting on here every day, unless I forget or am really busy or something. I'll post each album I listen to, and a little analysis, either my initial reaction or what I've come to think after repeated listens. I might not listen to albums as many times as some of you guys do, but that's just the way I listen to music. It varies from person, and that's the way that's worked for me. Alright, here goes.

Last edited by Space-Dementia on 11/05/2016 21:14; edited 4 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2016 02:15
  • Post subject:
October 26, 2016
We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
by Foxygen
Initial thoughts
In the Darkness - 8/10
No Destruction - 8/10 Lots of influence from 60s psychedelia, and it sounds a little Bob Dylan-esque
On Blue Mountain - 8/10 The experimentation of MGMT mixed with the laid-back singing of Courtney Barnett
San Francisco - 8/10 Cute song. Similar structure to a Zombies or Jefferson Airplane song
Bowling Trophies - 7/10
Shuggie - 8/10 Another MGMT-influenced song. I also hear some Shins in there.
Oh Yeah - 7/10 The album enters into a slight lull here, and there aren't very many memorable melodies.
*Title track* - 7/10
Oh No 2 - 8/10 A great finish. A little spooky, and it ends abruptly, which is perfect for an album with this sound.
Overall, Foxygen sounds a little unsure of itself on this album, but it seems that they're the type of band that goes for that sound. 77/100, C+. Best song: San Francisco

Later thoughts
I went into this album not knowing anything except one of my friends really liked the song San Francisco so I figured I'd give the album a listen. I hadn't read any reviews or anything. Right from the start I got a vibe of MGMT but with the subtleness of 60s and 70s psychedelic bands. Overall, it sounded a little lazy, but still creative and fun. I won't be coming back to it too much, except maybe to San Francisco, but it definitely wasn't bad.
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill by Lauryn Hill
Intro - N/A. Cute. Is this gonna be a theme throughout the album?
Lost Ones - 9/10 Oh yeah. What a start. There's so much soul in this.
Ex-Factor - 8/10
To Zion - 9/10 I'm getting some strong religious vibes here, and it makes it so much more soulful. I'm not religious, but I love this.
Doo-Wop (That Thing) - 9/10 Awesome bass.
Superstar - 8/10
Final Hour - 7/10
When It Hurts So Bad - 8/10
I Used to Love Him - 7/10
Forgive Them Father - 7/10
Every Ghetto, Every City - 8/10
Nothing Even Matters - 7/10
Everything is Everything - 8/10
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - 8/10
My friend who always recommends which rap albums I need to listen to has been telling me about Lauryn Hill for months now. I've continously promised him to listen, but I always forget. I finally did, and it was totally worth it. Although it has a few songs that I'll not be returning to just cause they're not very memorable, there's a lot of highs on here. For probably the first time in a rap album, the skits are actually really nice. I actually listened to them intently and really enjoyed them. They were cute. This is a great album, I'd say top 50 of the 90s. 79/100, B. Best Song: To Zion
You Forgot it in People by Broken Social Scene
Capture the Flag - 8/10 Nice start. I think I'm gonna like this.
KC Accidental - 9/10 I love the drums. Reminds me of The City by Dismemberment Plan. A little bit.
Stars and Sons - 8/10
Almost Crimes (Radio Kills Remix) - 8/10
Looks Just Like the Sun - 8/10
Pacific Theme - 9/10 Really nice peaceful instrumental. Gets me pumped for what's apparently gonna be the best song of the album? We'll see.
Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl - 9/10 It was gonna be an 8 until the "Park that car, drop that phone" part. What a beautiful ending to a song. Wonderful.
Cause=Time - 8/10 As I'm listening to this I'm thinking to myself, "This is the type of music I've always wanted to make but have never known how."
Late Nineties Bedroom Rock for the Missionaries - 7/10
Shampoo Suicide - 8/10 Awesome track name. This is really cool. A little bit post-rock-ish, but mixed with post-punk-revival.
Lover's Split - 8/10 Wow there's a lot going on here. I'm really liking this album.
I'm Still Your Fag - 7/10
Pitter Patter Goes My Heart - 8/10 Beautiful ending to a beautiful album.
This was great. Everything I had hoped for and more. It obviously has a lot of people performing on it and this gives it a very unique sound that I don't think anyone else has fully explored. It's a really nice combination of multiple genres. Definitely one of the best of the 2000s. 81/100, B. Best song: Anthems For a Seventeen-Year Old Girl

Last edited by Space-Dementia on 11/01/2016 02:53; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2016 02:51
  • Post subject:
October 27, 2016
Untrue by Burial
Untitled - N/A
Archangel - 8/10 Cool beat, but not too much else going on. Does this really qualify as dubstep?
Near Dark - 8/10
Ghost Hardware - 7/10
Endorphin - 7/10
Etched Headplate - 8/10
In McDonalds - 7/10
Untrue - 8/10 He really does have some great beats on here.
Shell of Light - 8/10
Dog Shelter - 8/10 The vocal samples are used really well.
Homeless - 7/10
UK - 7/10
Raver - 8/10 Cool ending.
I was expecting something completely different. I had heard that this was one of the best dubstep albums of all time and the only dubstep I've ever heard is the Skrillex stuff that plays on the radio sometimes, so I was expecting that but really good. Instead I got a pleasant ambient album with really cool beats. There wasn't really much that stayed with me, but it was a nice journey. 76/100, C+. Best song: Archangel
Debut by Bjork
Human Behaviour - 9/10 Oh my god her voice. It's so beautiful.
Crying - 9/10 So so so so catchy. I love that piano riff.
Venus as Boy - 8/10
There's More to Life than This - 8/10 Cute song. Great beat and I like the lyrics.
Like Someone in Love - 7/10 It gets a little boring. This could have been done better.
Big Time Sensuality - 8/10
One Day - 7/10
Aeroplane - 7/10
Come To Me - 8/10
Violently Happy - 8/10
The Anchor Song - 7/10
I had listened to this album a while ago, but I decided to revisit it since I'm going to go through Bjork's full discography starting with this one. It's a great start for one of the most creative artists of the 1990s. I love the eclectic mix of genres, from jazz to dance to sort of funky piano rock. 78/100, B. Best song: Human Behaviour

Last edited by Space-Dementia on 11/01/2016 02:54; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2016 02:18
  • Post subject:
October 29, 2016
The Slip by Nine Inch Nails
999,999 - N/A
1,000,000 - 9/10
Letting You - 8/10
Discipline - 8/10
Echoplex - 8/10
Head Down - 7/10
Lights in the Sky - 8/10
Corona Radiata - 7/10
Demon Seed - 7/10
I've been going through Nine Inch Nails' discography, and this is my second to last one. While this album has one or two great songs, most of it is rather forgettable, and that's kind of how I feel about most of his albums. It's not bad though. 77/100, C+. Best song: 1,000,000
Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails
The Eater of Dreams - N/A
Copy of a - 9/10 What a start. I was feeling the beat completely differently than it actually is. So cool. Really interesting bass line during the chorus.
Came Back Haunted - 9/10 I really love the chorus of this song. So heavy.
Find My Way - 7/10
Disappointed - 8/10 Beautiful orchestration near the end.
Everything - 7/10
Satellite - 7/10
Various Methods of Escape - 7/10
Running - 8/10
I Would For You - 7/10
In Two - 8/10 Whoa what a wall of sound near the end. Awesome.
While I'm still here - 7/10
Black Noise - N/A
And thus ends my journey with Nine Inch Nails. Reznor has been pretty consistent throughout the years, peaking by a long shot with 1994's The Downward Spiral. The rest of his albums are all pretty solid but full of filler. Even his worst album, Ghosts I-IV, is pretty good. Trent Reznor has gone through some shit in his life, but no matter what he's been going through, he's always provided us with great music, and that's what makes him so good. 77/100, C+. Best song: Copy Of A
Post by Bjork
Army Of Me - 8/10
Hyperballad - 9/10 Really pretty chord progression on top of that nice disco-ish beat. Weird song, but it's really good.
The Modern Things - 8/10
Oh So Quiet - 7/10 It's a little too cheesy for my taste.
Enjoy - 8/10
Isobel - 9/10 Really nice chord progression. This is so awesome.
Possibly Maybe - 9/10
Cover Me - 7/10 Kind of creepy, but it doesn't really go anywhere.
Headphones - 7/10
I started going through Bjork's discography this week. I had already heard Homogenic and I love it (it's on my all-time chart) but I went back to Debut and now Post. They're not similar at all, but it's hard to choose between them. They're both good, but weird. I feel like Bjork needs repeated listens to really get her. There's so many influences going on at once and you just have to understand her. I've never heard anyone like her. 78/100, B. Best song: Hyperballad

Last edited by Space-Dementia on 11/01/2016 02:56; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2016 04:23
  • Post subject:
October 30, 2016
by Flying Lotus
1983 - 9/10 whoa this is really cool. It's so funky and I love that the drums are kind of dragging the beat.
Sao Paulo - 8/10 great song. It has a cool feel to it.
Bad actors - 7/10 it's pretty short and he could have expanded this idea more which would have been cool, but it's a really cool sound.
Orbit brazil - 7/10 cool idea but idk. It just sounds a little unoriginal and kind of cheesy. It could have been executed better.
Shifty - 7/10
Babble -
Pet Monster Shotglass - 7/10 some weird stuff going on here. I don't know how i feel about it.
Hello - 7/10
Unexpected delight - 9/10 this is so sweet. It's jazzy and beautiful and i love it.
1983 (Daedelus's Odd-Dance Party Remix) - 7/10
I've heard that Flying Lotus has been really consistent every since his second or third album, so I've excised to just give his whole discography a listen starting from this, his debut. This was a great album, and if this is apparently his worse, I can't wait to hear what his best sounds like. 77/100, C+

My Aim is True by Elvis Costello
Welcome to the Working Week - 8/10 pretty catchy. Not much else interesting about it though.
Miracle Man - 8/10 Cool guitar riff.
No dancing - 7/10
Blame it on cain - 7/10
Alison - 8/10
Sneaky feelings - 8/10 i like the riff during the chorus a lot.
The angels wanna wear my red shoes - 7/10
Less than zero - 7/10
Mystery dance - 7/10
Pay it back - 8/10
I'm not angry - 7/10
I've heard This Year's Model which I thought was alright, but nothing crazy good. This was similar, to me. There's some catchy melodies on here, but I really don't see why this is so acclaimed by music critics everywhere. There's nothing crazy revolutionary about it. But I guess that's what people are going to be saying about Is This It and Whatever People Say I Am in forty years. So I guess I understand the love. 75/100, C
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2016 02:47
  • Post subject:
October 31, 2016
Vespertine
by Bjork
Hidden Place - 9/10 It's so beautiful, the orchestration mixed with her sweet voice. Excellent start.
Cocoon - 9/10 The soothing ambient electronic sounds remind me a lot of Kid A. Really good.
It's Not Up To You - 8/10
Undo - 8/10
Pagan Poetry - 8/10
Frosti - 7/10
Aurora - 7/10 It's alright but not as good as the first couple songs.
An Echo, a stain - 7/10
Sun In My Mouth - 7/10
Heirloom - 8/10
Harm of Will - 8/10 What a beautiful crescendo halfway through. You can tell she put so much thought into everything she did for this album.
Unison - 9/10
My journey with Bjork continues. Her first two albums were good, but not as good as her third album, Homogenic. That was her most focused and consistent, and it left me hoping for more consistency as we moved forward. As I listened to Vespertine, I found even more consistency. Not every song is amazing, but they all follow a very similar theme of cold. It really reminds me of Radiohead's Kid A because of first the experimental soft electronic noises and second because of the really cold sound that is produced because of this. It sounds like I'm in an ice castle somewhere in Iceland, and I'm sure that's exactly what Bjork wanted us to think as we listened to her fourth album. Although it kind of enters a lull in the middle starting with Frosti, at the end it picks up again with the last three tracks being some fo the best of the album. Although it's not as good as Homogenic, this is a great album. 79/100, B. Best song: Hidden Place

Medulla by Bjork
Pleasure Is All Mine - 8/10 Whoa this is really different than her four earlier albums.
Show Me Forgiveness - 7/10 She's actually going full a capella for this one. I wasn't expecting this.
Where Is The Line? - 8/10 Cool beat boxing.
Vokuro - 7/10 This actually sounds like a church song. It just all sounds so holy and serious compared to her other stuff.
Oll Birtan - 7/10
Who Is It - 8/10
Submarine - 7/10
Desired Constellation - 8/10
Oceania - 8/10 Really cool backing vocals. I like the chords.
Sonnets/Unrealities IX - 7/10
Ancestors - 7/10
Mouth's Cradle - 8/10 There's a lot going on here, but it comes together really well.
Mivikudags - 7/10
Triumph of a Heart - 7/10
This is the worst Bjork album I've heard so far, but it's still not bad. I'm just not really a fan of the a capella. I really liked the crazy eclectic dance music of her first two albums, then her next two albums were a lot more focused in one genre, which was even better, but now this is a little too experimental for me. It's not bad though, and I wonder where she's gonna go with her next album. 74/100, C. Best song: Pleasure Is All Mine

Los Angeles by Flying Lotus
Brainfeeder - 8/10
Breathe Something/Stellar Star - 8/10
Beginners Falafel - 8/10
Camel - 8/10
Melt! - 8/10 That beat is really really cool.
Comet Course - 8/10
Orbit 406 - N/A
Golden Diva - 7/10
Riot - 7/10
GNG BNG - 7/10
Parisian Goldfish - 8/10 Really dope beat.
Sleepy Dinosaur - 7/10
Robertaflack - 8/10 It's kind of jazzy. I love the vintage keyboard sounds.
Sex Slave Ships - 7/10
Auntie's Harp - 7/10
Testament - 7/10
Auntie's Lock/Infinitum - 8/10
I honestly preferred 1983 to this, even though I know most people think the other way around. They're really close and I can't really place why I like his debut better. Still, I can't wait to see if his next three live up to the hype, cause the hype is definitely there. 76/100, C+. Best song: Parisian Goldfish
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2016 03:03
  • Post subject:
November 1, 2016
Cosmogramma
by Flying Lotus
Clock Catcher - 7/10
Pickled! - 8/10
Nose Art - 8/10
A Cosmic Drama - 7/10
Zodiac Shit - 8/10
Computer Face/Pure Being - 8/10 I love how retro this sounds.
And the World Laughs With You - 9/10 Really cool. It's fast but really chill.
Arkestry - 7/10
MmmHmm - 8/10 I love the bass on here. It's really jazzy.
Do the Astral Plane - 9/10
Satellliiiiiiteee - 8/10
German Haircut - 7/10
Recoiled - 7/10
Dance of the Psudo Nymph - 8/10
Dribs/Auntie's Harp - 8/10
Table Tennis - 8/10 I love how he uses ping pong balls as percussion, and the outro is really sweet.
Galaxy in Janaki - 9/10 Really nice, psychedelic ending to a cool album.
It seems more focused than his two earlier albums. Here he's really found his voice, mixing jazz and hip hop with psychedelic influences in a really smooth way. It's not crazy good, but it's definitely a really original and creative piece of art from Flying Lotus. 79/100, B. Best song: Galaxy in Janaki.

Run the Jewels by Run the Jewels
Run the Jewels - 8/10
Banana Clipper - 7/10
36" Chain - 8/10
DDFH - 8/10
Sea Legs - 7/10
Job Well Done - 7/10
No Come Down - 7/10
Get It - 9/10
Twin Hype Back - 7/10
A Christmas Fucking Miracle - 8/10
I've heard their second album, so I decided to give their debut a listen. This one's not nearly as good as its successor, but it's still pretty good. The flow between El-P and Killer Mike is on point. The beats are pretty good too, but not as crazy headbang-inducing as the ones off their next album. Pretty good though. 76/100, C+. Best song: Get It.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2016 15:02
  • Post subject:
November 5, 2016
Soundtracks For The Blind
by Swans
Red Velvet Corridor - 8/10
I Was a Prisoner in Your Skull - 8/10
Helpless Child - 9/10 What a beautiful song. It's very minimalistic, and the last couple minutes are just the same thing being repeated over and over again, but it's really good.
Live Through Me - 7/10
Yum-Yab Killers - 7/10 I feel like this song doesn't belong on this album. I don't really know why it's on here.
The Beautiful Days - 8/10
Volcano - 8/10 This sounds like a completely different band. It's still good, but it's so different than the rest of this album.
Mellothumb - 7/10
All Lined Up - 8/10
Surrogate 2 - 7/10
How They Suffer - 8/10
Animus - 8/10
The Sound - 9/10
One of the coolest things I've ever heard. There's such a beautiful wall of sound that's so close to breaking into a million pieces but it's somehow staying together.
Her Mouth is Filled With Honey - 7/10
Blood Section - 8/10 Nice happy instrumental.
Minus Something - 7/10
Empathy - 8/10
I Love You this Much - 7/10
YRP - 8/10
Fan's Lament - 7/10
Secret Friends - 7/10
The Final Sacrifice - 7/10
YRP 2 - 7/10
Surrogate Drone - 8/10
I had high expectations coming into this album. I had heard very good things about Swans, especially this album, The Seer, and To Be Kind, so I was expecting this to be a really good post-rock album. While it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be, it was definitely very interesting. There were some really unique and awesome elements in some songs, but there also seemed to be a bit of filler that didn't really add to the album. I get why some people really love this album, but I don't think it's consistent enough to be one of my favorites. 76/100, C+. Best song: Helpless Child.

Until the Quiet Comes by Flying Lotus
All In - 8/10 Nice funky dance music.
Getting There - 7/10
Until the Colours Come - 8/10
Heave(n) - 8/10
Tiny Tortures - 8/10 I love the muted sound of the bass and percussion.
All the Secrets - 7/10
Sultan's Request - 7/10
Putty Boy Strut - 8/10
See Thru To You - 7/10 It's not very focused. Kind of all over the place.
Until the Quiet Comes - 8/10
DMT Song - 7/10
The Nightcaller - 8/10
Only If You Wanna - 7/10
Electric Candyman - 7/10
Hunger - 8/10
Phantasm - 7/10
Me Yesterday/ /Corded - 8/10
Dream To Me - 8/10
Flying Lotus' fourth album is great. It's not as good as Cosmogramma, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It's more quiet than his other albums, and it seems a lot more melancholy as well. I'm interested to see what You're Dead! sounds like. 76/100, C+. Best Song: All In.

Van Halen by Van Halen
Runnin' With the Devil - 9/10 I love the harmonies during the chorus and the bass during the intro. Awesome song.
Eruption - 8/10 The tapping part is really cool but the rest is a bit cheesy.
You Really Got Me - 8/10 I p;refer the Kinks version, but this isn't bad either.
Ain't Talkin' Bout Love - 8/10
I'm the One - 8/10
Jamie's Cryin - 8/10
Atomic Punk - 7/10
Feel Your Love Tonight - 7/10
Little Dreamer - 7/10
Ice Cream Man - 7/10
On Fire - 6/10 Jesus those vocals during the chorus are really annoying. Great guitar work though.
I've obviously heard of Van Halen, but I've never actually listened to them on purpose before, so I figured I'd give their debut a listen since it's pretty highly ranked on here. The first half was actually pretty good, with a couple catchy songs with awesome guitar-playing, but it started getting worse as the album went on. It wasn't bad, but I probably won't be listening to Van Halen for fun anytime soon. 75/100, C. Best song: Runnin' With the Devil.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2016 03:22
  • Post subject:
November 6, 2016
You're Dead!
by Flying Lotus
Theme - 8/10 I can already tell I'm gonna love this. This is literally Kamasi Washington but more poppy. This is gonna be great.
Tesla - 8/10 I love the bass! So jazzy.
Cold Dead - 8/10
Fkn Dead - 7/10
Never Catch me - 10/10 The piano riff is beautiful. The bass line is spectacularly funky. The drums are perfectly off-kilter. The outro is magnificent. I love this song.
Dead Man's Tetris - 8/10
Turkey Dog Coma - 9/10 Oh my god I love this so much. This song is essentially a really dope bass solo.
Stirring - N/A
Coronus, the Terminator - 8/10 I love that chorus singing in the background.
Siren Song - 8/10
Turtles - 8/10
Ready Err Not - 8/10
Eyes Above - 8/10
Moment of Hesitation - 8/10 Really good drums on here.
Descent Into Madness - 7/10
The Boys Who Died in their Sleep - 8/10
Obligatory Cadence - 8/10 The drums do this weird thing where they sound like they're really off, but when you tap your foot, they're not. It's really cool and a lot of funk and soul artists do this and I'm not really sure how.
Your Potential//The Beyond - 8/10
The Protest - 8/10
Wow. Flying Lotus, Kamasi Washington, THundercat, Kendrick Lamar, and Snoop Dogg all come together to form one of the most interesting pieces of music of the decade. What an album! After listening to all of FLying Lotus' albums, I can very confidently say that You're Dead is his best. He takes everything he's been trying to do in his past albums and perfects it and polishes it until he essentially creates a new genre. Everything about this album is so good. The bass on every single track is perfect, the drums are unique and crazy but still simple enough to keep the beat going smoothly. It flows really well as an album as well. I don't think I would change anything about this album, and I think it's definitely going to grow on me more and more as time goes on. 81/100, B. Best song: Never Catch Me.

Volta by Bjork
Earth Intruders - 8/10
Wanderlust - 7/10 This song did not have to be that long.
The Dull Flame of Desire - 7/10 I don't like the guy's voice. Plus it's too long. I think I see a pattern here in terms of song length.
Innocence - 6/10 I'm not a fan of the percussion.
I See Who You Are - 7/10 It's not too bd, and I like the synth-y noises in the background, but I've heard much better songs from Bjork.
Vertebrae by Vertebrae - 7/10
Pneumonia - 8/10 Very minimalistic, but one of the prettier songs on this album.
Hope - 7/10
Declare Independence - 7/10
My Juvenile - 7/10
I wasn't really a big fan of this. Her other albums were always interesting and innovative, but Volta just seems kind of juvenile. The songs are too long and some of them don't really go anywhere interesting. That being said, the two 8-rated tracks are pretty good. 71/100, C. Best song: Pneumonia.

Biophilia by Bjork
Moon - 8/10 I love the harps. Cool song.
Thunderbolt - 7/10
Crystalline - 8/10 I like this a lot. The beat at the beginning is cool, and then at the end when the crazy dubstep-y beat comes on it's really crazy.
Cosmogony - 8/10
Dark Matter - 6/10
Hollow - 7/10 Weird. Really creepy with the organs and stuff.
Virus - 8/10
Sacrifice - 7/10
Mutual Core - 8/10
Solstice - 7/10 It's alright, but it doesn't exactly feel like an album closer.
This was better than Volta, but it still lacks that crazy beauty of her first four albums. Bjork experiments with some really weird things on here, like the creepy organs on Hollow and the dubstep beats on Crystalline, but it's too weird for me. 74/100, C. Best song: Crystalline.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2016 02:15
  • Post subject:
November 7, 2016
Vulnicura
by Bjork
Stonemilker - 9/10
Lionsong - 9/10 I love the strings in this song.
History of Touches - 8/10
Black Lake - 7/10
Family - 8/10
Notget - 8/10
Atom Dance - 7/10
Mouth Mantra - 7/10
Quicksand - 8/10
This is her best album since Vespertine. It's longer than her last two albums, but it's more focused. She's brought back the luscious orchestral instrumentals that I've been missing since Homogenic, and she's more passionate than ever. She's heartbroken and you can feel that in the music. Even after being around for twenty years, Bjork is still putting out some of her best music yet. 79/100, B. Best song: Lionsong.

The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones
I Want Wind to Blow - 9/10 The instrumental section at the end is beautiful.
The Glow Pt. 2 - 9/10
The Moon - 9/10 I love the saxophones. Such a pretty song.
Headless Horseman - 8/10
My Roots Are Strong and Deep - 8/10
Instrumental - 7/10
The Mansion - 7/10
(Something) - 7/10
Deep - 7/10
I'll Not Contain You - 8/10 I like the guitar melodies. It sounds kind of like something off Animal Collective's Sung Tongs.
The Gleam Pt. 2 - 8/10
Map - 8/10 I like the various drum beats throughout the song.
You'll be in the Air - 9/10
I Want To Be Cold - 7/10
I Am Bored - 8/10
I Felt My Size - 7/10
Instrumental - 8/10
I Felt Your Shape - 8/10
Samurai Sword - 8/10 It almost sounds like shoegaze at times. I love the drums.
My Warm Blood - 7/10
I've been meaning to listen to this album for a while now. I've heard very good things about it, I just haven't had the time to listen. So today I finally did, and it's about as good as I was expecting it to be. It's like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea but a lot longer and with more noise. The first three or four songs were all really good, and it's a shame it didn't hold onto that quality for the whole album. 79/100, B. Best song: I Want Wind To Blow.

Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes by TV on the Radio
The Wrong Way - 8/10 I love the way the sax and the super heavy bass go together in an unexpected way.
Staring at the Sun - 8/10 It seems like it's building up to nothing. It's good, but I was expecting more.
Dreams - 8/10
King Eternal - 7/10 The bass is really cool, but nothing really happens in this song.
Ambulance - 8/10
Poppy - 7/10
Don't Love You - 8/10
Bomb Yourself - 7/10
Wear You Out - 7/10
I've heard great things about TV on the Radio. Apparently their second and third albums are their best, but their other albums looked pretty good, so I figured I'd give their whole discography a shot. While this wasn't really good or anything, I heard some great ideas that could definitely be reproduced with better results. A lot of the songs felt sort of incomplete, even if they were 6 minutes long. They seemed to either be building up to nothing, or just lacking any true form. Still though, this holds a lot of promise for their next few albums which I will be listening to soon. 76/100, C+. Best song: The Wrong Way.
  • Visit poster's website