Greatest Classical Music Works of All Time (In-Progress)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
YoungPunk

• Posted: 02/14/2018 07:09
  • Post subject:
My favorite obscure artists are Rossini and Bellini. They have some of the best operas, even if they don't match Wagner's operas in length. They're kind of like Mozart, but more exciting. Wagner and Chopin really learned a lot from Bellini. Wagner even copies the burning pyre idea from Norma in his The Ring of The Nibelung. If you like Mozart you should like these guys I think...
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/14/2018 07:16
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
No, I was just talking about completing the list Smile

Ok. By "probably dislike" you mean you haven't heard it before but assume you won't like it, correct?
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 02/14/2018 07:35
  • Post subject:
Yeah! Some guys like Brahms just consistently make music that doesn't appeal to me. (Brahms is not "like Beethoven"!)
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/11/2018 19:39
  • Post subject:
An interesting analysis of Classical composer's comparative development/influence/innovation:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5486899/#!po=4.71698
  • Visit poster's website
berliszt

• Posted: 06/13/2018 04:16
  • Post subject:
Hello!

First off I'd just like to say I love what you do, and while I'm quite familiar with a lot of the music on the Classical lists the Rock/Jazz list has been a fantastic resource as I try to branch out.

I'd just like to post a few favourites here that I think you might like to assimilate and add to your list at some point! I think they are very rewarding to get to know. I'm not great with best recordings at all: I'm focusing on simply the music while I get to know the repertoire.

Sibelius: I see you've ranked his 2nd and 5th symphonies very well, but I believe his 7th to probably be his greatest work, with Tapiola not far behind.

Berlioz: Two rankings, two nines! I think he matched these works you listed at other times too. His opera Les Troyens is probably his greatest achievement (but it's, admittedly, a large undertaking at around 4 hours). Other great ones are Romeo et Juliette and Les Nuits d'ete (and La Damnation de Faust, but I see that one is 'pending'). I don't like Harold as much but it's still good, and there are a few other supposedly good ones that I don't know as well. I've loved Colin Davis in Berlioz so far.

Richard Strauss: He wrote lots of great things, but I find some of his late works to be truly outstanding. The Four Last Songs are IMO among the most profound and simply beautiful ever written (especially Im Abendrot, especially if you pick up the Death and Transfiguration quotation), and his Metamorphosen is truly harrowing. For these works I can recommend Karajan (with Janowitz for the songs). The CD that comes with Death and Transfiguration is sensational.

A more personal pick for Strauss (some love it, some don't like it at all) is his Alpine Symphony. I'm in the former camp: magnificent!

Completely up to you! Just some suggestions based on my love for this music...Keep up what you do Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/13/2018 16:58
  • Post subject:
berliszt wrote:
Hello!

First off I'd just like to say I love what you do, and while I'm quite familiar with a lot of the music on the Classical lists the Rock/Jazz list has been a fantastic resource as I try to branch out.

I'd just like to post a few favourites here that I think you might like to assimilate and add to your list at some point! I think they are very rewarding to get to know. I'm not great with best recordings at all: I'm focusing on simply the music while I get to know the repertoire.

Sibelius: I see you've ranked his 2nd and 5th symphonies very well, but I believe his 7th to probably be his greatest work, with Tapiola not far behind.

Berlioz: Two rankings, two nines! I think he matched these works you listed at other times too. His opera Les Troyens is probably his greatest achievement (but it's, admittedly, a large undertaking at around 4 hours). Other great ones are Romeo et Juliette and Les Nuits d'ete (and La Damnation de Faust, but I see that one is 'pending'). I don't like Harold as much but it's still good, and there are a few other supposedly good ones that I don't know as well. I've loved Colin Davis in Berlioz so far.

Richard Strauss: He wrote lots of great things, but I find some of his late works to be truly outstanding. The Four Last Songs are IMO among the most profound and simply beautiful ever written (especially Im Abendrot, especially if you pick up the Death and Transfiguration quotation), and his Metamorphosen is truly harrowing. For these works I can recommend Karajan (with Janowitz for the songs). The CD that comes with Death and Transfiguration is sensational.

A more personal pick for Strauss (some love it, some don't like it at all) is his Alpine Symphony. I'm in the former camp: magnificent!

Completely up to you! Just some suggestions based on my love for this music...Keep up what you do Very Happy

Thank you! Im familiar with Sibelius' 7th, Berlioz' R & J, and Strauss' Death and Transfiguration and Metamorphosen but dont think Ive ever rated or ranked them yet. The rest of your recs I'll need to get around to amidst all my revisits and newer adventures.

Glad to see another serious Classical listener around here and glad you're liking those Rock/Jazz selections. What would your favorites be so far?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2018 04:37
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
An interesting analysis of Classical composer's comparative development/influence/innovation:

Pretty cool - find it interesting that pending on the source of facts and then interpretation of facts, at times similar, yet different results occur. The similar results seem to confirm what I'll call a collective bias or possibly even the "truth", and the outliers help identify what's not the collective bias/true assessment. I remember posting something similar from a paper a university librarian published looking at it from the cultural impact by identifying how often composers were written about in music journals, historical writings, etc.

I don't even know what this quote means, but it sounds fancy hehe. Seems like the best they can do on what seemingly is a subjective matter and this is an attempt to make it objective.

Seems like impressive work and mostly not too surprising. I suppose slightly surprising as I vaguely remember Mozart being the first to write opera in a language other than Italian. I've only glanced through it, but curious as to what extent someone has to be influential to not be considered transitional or an innovator (even if I agree much of his music isn't terrible innovative).

Quote:
In order to do this we use statistical methods and measures of association or similarity (based on presence/absence of traits such as specific ‘ecological’ characteristics and personal musical influences) that have been developed in biosystematics, scientometrics, and bibliographic coupling.

Does ecological mean they made it to Vienna? Or they didn't, yet still had an impact? idk how that equates/ impacts an individual to be more or less innovative.

Seems like those right at the top of the line/bottom of the list are near the border of being considered "most innovative" like Mozart, Machaut, Ockeghem, Hildegard von Bingen, etc.

Interesting to look over... anyway I'll stop rambling...haha
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/17/2018 16:52
  • Post subject:
@seth

Thank you, Ill get back to you on this as soon as I can -- including your PM (and I havent forgot about our previous convo re: Doors, VU, U2, etc).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/18/2018 19:27
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Pretty cool - find it interesting that pending on the source of facts and then interpretation of facts, at times similar, yet different results occur. The similar results seem to confirm what I'll call a collective bias or possibly even the "truth", and the outliers help identify what's not the collective bias/true assessment. I remember posting something similar from a paper a university librarian published looking at it from the cultural impact by identifying how often composers were written about in music journals, historical writings, etc.

I don't even know what this quote means, but it sounds fancy hehe. Seems like the best they can do on what seemingly is a subjective matter and this is an attempt to make it objective.

Seems like impressive work and mostly not too surprising. I suppose slightly surprising as I vaguely remember Mozart being the first to write opera in a language other than Italian. I've only glanced through it, but curious as to what extent someone has to be influential to not be considered transitional or an innovator (even if I agree much of his music isn't terrible innovative).

Quote:
In order to do this we use statistical methods and measures of association or similarity (based on presence/absence of traits such as specific ‘ecological’ characteristics and personal musical influences) that have been developed in biosystematics, scientometrics, and bibliographic coupling.

Does ecological mean they made it to Vienna? Or they didn't, yet still had an impact? idk how that equates/ impacts an individual to be more or less innovative.

Seems like those right at the top of the line/bottom of the list are near the border of being considered "most innovative" like Mozart, Machaut, Ockeghem, Hildegard von Bingen, etc.

Interesting to look over... anyway I'll stop rambling...haha

I haven't had the time yet to look over the analysis thoroughly -- just in passing. I found it interesting but I'm not entirely sure how much or how thoroughly I agree with it. Re: ecological = made it to Vienna. Seems like it, or perhaps both (+ still had an impact).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/11/2018 21:42
  • Post subject:
Recent updates...

FAMILIAR CLASSICAL WORKS - RE-RATED:
Piano Quintet in G Minor - Dmitri Shostakovich (1940) 8.7/10 to 8.8/10
Piano Quintet in F minor - Johannes Brahms (1864) 8.6/10 to 8.8/10
Piano Quintet No. 2 in A major - Antonin Dvorak (1887) 8.5/10 to 8.7/10
Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1785) 8.6/10 to 8.4/10
Double Concerto for Violin and Cello in A Minor - Johannes Brahms (1887) 8.0/10 to 8.4/10
  • Visit poster's website