Greatest Classical Music Works of All Time (In-Progress)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/19/2017 21:08
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Hi AfterHours, Perhaps you could reconsider the following classics that I did not find on your first post/list:

Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin)
Pavane Pour Une Infante Défunte (Ravel): exquisite adagio
La Mer (Debussy) : a bit too modern for me, this one, but you may like it.
Carmina Burana (carl Orff)

Thank you, great selections. Upon my last revisit of Rhapsody in Blue I felt it fell short of my list (7.8+) though it would certainly make it if/when I eventually extend it to 7.3+. I've probably heard the Ravel piece though I don't specifically recall it at the moment. Ill check it out. La Mer and Carmina Burana are likely 7.8+ inclusions whenever I get around to revisiting them (lots of works I still need to revisit that I haven't listened to since I began rating and ranking Classical a bit more seriously as of a few years ago)

What are your top Classical works of all time? (Such as a top 10, or more if you'd like)
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/20/2017 16:13
  • Post subject:
Among numerous wonders I once heard and did not get back to (because I don’t listen so much of classical), I would select the following :

Requiem – Mozart : especially the Hogwood version because of the children choir.
Miserere – Allegri
Pavane pour une infante défunte – Ravel
Stabat Mater – Pergolesi
Requiem – Faure (there is a part with an organ’ « gimmick » that sounds incredibly modern)
Gymnopédies – Erik Satie
Carmina Burana – Carl Orff
Boléro - Ravel
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/20/2017 18:45
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Among numerous wonders I once heard and did not get back to (because I don’t listen so much of classical), I would select the following :

Requiem – Mozart : especially the Hogwood version because of the children choir.
Miserere – Allegri
Pavane pour une infante défunte – Ravel
Stabat Mater – Pergolesi
Requiem – Faure (there is a part with an organ’ « gimmick » that sounds incredibly modern)
Gymnopédies – Erik Satie
Carmina Burana – Carl Orff
Boléro - Ravel

Thanks, very interesting choices -- unusually individual for someone who doesn't listen to Classical much.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2017 10:59
  • Post subject:
I have a question about:
Violin Concerto in D Major - Ludwig van Beethoven (1806)

On this list, it's #75 with a rating of 8.4/10, but on your best recorded performances list it has a rating of 8.8/10 and is in what would be 37th place if that list was numbered. So which is it?! Inquiring minds need to know!
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/23/2017 16:13
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
I have a question about:

On this list, it's #75 with a rating of 8.4/10, but on your best recorded performances list it has a rating of 8.8/10 and is in what would be 37th place if that list was numbered. So which is it?! Inquiring minds need to know!

Haha, yes Smile It was just updated to 8.8/10 last night (among some other updates) so that is now the correct rating. I'll update it on my other list as soon as I can, but for now the "Best Recordings" list is more accurate. You can also check out my "Top 10+ of the Week": https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15153

...which is usually the very first place these show up (in the "Re-rated" section). That will show you a listing of the most recent updates.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2017 06:11
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Rhyner wrote:
I have a question about:

Haha, yes Smile It was just updated to 8.8/10 last night (among some other updates) so that is now the correct rating. I'll update it on my other list as soon as I can, but for now the "Best Recordings" list is more accurate. You can also check out my "Top 10+ of the Week": https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15153

...which is usually the very first place these show up (in the "Re-rated" section). That will show you a listing of the most recent updates.

Okay, good to know. Thanks.

I've been trying to get more into classical music lately. I've always enjoyed it but I was overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of works and different performances of those works, so I never quite felt comfortable diving in deep. Your threads on the topic, particularly the greatest performances one, have been an invaluable resource in actually getting started.

Thank you very much for putting in all the time it must take to keep these up to date. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/24/2017 17:56
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Rhyner wrote:
I have a question about:

Okay, good to know. Thanks.

I've been trying to get more into classical music lately. I've always enjoyed it but I was overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of works and different performances of those works, so I never quite felt comfortable diving in deep. Your threads on the topic, particularly the greatest performances one, have been an invaluable resource in actually getting started.

Thank you very much for putting in all the time it must take to keep these up to date. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

Thank you for the acknowledgement, it has been quite time-consuming, but fortunately it's with something (music) I love so much.

Which are your favorites so far?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/25/2017 00:28
  • Post subject:
Updated through 7/23/17 ... First post, first page ^^^

As follows, shown on the list in bold and bold + italics...

FAMILIAR ALBUMS/CLASSICAL WORKS - RE-RATED:
Violin Concerto in D Major - Ludwig van Beethoven (1806) 8.4/10 to 8.8/10
Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat Minor - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1875) 8.1/10 to 8.3/10
Piano Concerto - Michael Nyman (1993) 8.1/10 to 8.2/10
Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor - Sergei Rachmaninoff (1901) 8.1/10 to 8.2/10
Violin Concerto in E Minor - Felix Mendelssohn (1844) 8.1/10 to 8.2/10
Violin Concerto in D Major - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1878) 8.0/10 to 8.2/10
Harpsichord Concerto No. 1 in D Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (1734) 8.0/10 to 8.1/10
Concerto in C minor for Piano, Trumpet, and String Orchestra - Dmitri Shostakovich (1933) Not Rated to 7.9/10
Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major - Dmitri Shostakovich (1957) 8.1/10 to 7.8/10
Violin Concerto in E major - Johann Sebastian Bach (circa 1718) Not Rated to 7.8/10
Violin Concerto in A minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (circa 1717-1723) Not Rated to 7.8/10
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2017 17:39
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Which are your favorites so far?

When I say I only recently began to seriously dive into classical, I mean really recently, so I've only listened to a few works from your list. But so far, the one that has stood out more than it ever has in the past is Beethoven's 5th Symphony. Several times now I've just put it on again rather than listening to something new from your list.

But I've always enjoyed classical music. Bach, Tchaikovsky, and Beethoven have long been my three favorite composers. Some of my favorite specific works are: Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, and Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/26/2017 19:02
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
When I say I only recently began to seriously dive into classical, I mean really recently, so I've only listened to a few works from your list. But so far, the one that has stood out more than it ever has in the past is Beethoven's 5th Symphony. Several times now I've just put it on again rather than listening to something new from your list.

But I've always enjoyed classical music. Bach, Tchaikovsky, and Beethoven have long been my three favorite composers. Some of my favorite specific works are: Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, and Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.

You definitely can't go wrong with those. Beethoven's 5th is SUCH a masterpiece. Aside from its obvious merits, the most key reasons I rank it so high are (a) It's an incredible application of "cyclic form" -- much of the symphony is based on the key opening theme, and variations thereof; (b) Its relentless alternating between emotional duality/dichotomy. For example, in the first movement which continuously switches between the opening 4-note "fate" theme, immediately into a "call and response" to a more "hopeful/striving towards freedom" theme in reply, and as this further develops, then merging them to where these melodies/themes ("statement" and "reply") are both combined in the same lines -- a constant relay or battle or "decision" resulting in unresolved tension and ambiguity. As the movement progresses more and more and its climaxing becomes increasingly vigorous, it also becomes increasingly emotionally ambiguous, simultaneously struck by the "fate/suspense/impending danger" theme and the "hopeful/striving towards freedom" in the same climaxing orchestral pronouncements, resolving neither even though summing up its own structure/compositional content. The rest of the symphony expounds upon this unresolved issue in extremely creative ways.

Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring was my entry point into Classical music Smile
  • Visit poster's website