2017 Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 11/24/2017 04:44
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Thank you Keith for Bill Converse.

Glad to hear you like it! He's local but unfortunately haven't been able to catch one of his shows; he's totally (or at least mostly) analog so it would likely be a fun techno show.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2017 13:34
  • Post subject:
hey you guys heres a song from a guitar pop type album from an austin texas dude named Bill Baird that I am getting super into right now, album comes out december 1st and I think this one might be pretty cool! and it's something that might have a bit more wide appeal than the usual stuff I'm talking about in here, give it a listen

https://billbaird.bandcamp.com/track/velvet-rut
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2017 02:03
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Will agree with the album cover... it's... perhaps not as 'clean' as the album sounds, and a little too inflated. Would've preferred if she used this: ... Which I'm not doubting was a serious contender.

Agreed. That looks much more fitting.

Hayden wrote:
I'll match your highlights list and add Blissing Me and The Gate, both are stellar. Only track I didn't completely dig was Features Creatures.

Features Creatures and the track right after it, Courtship, were two I'd've cut from the album. Gate and Blissing are great tracks. I'd listened to 'em both quite a bit before the album hit, so they didn't have that fresh sheen to 'em.

Hayden wrote:
Should note that Arca (who has def matured as an artist since) was a major producer on Vulnicura as well, even more so than Haxan Cloak (who I'm hoping has something cooking up...). This album is far superior though, and that's not saying anything against Vulnicura.

I'm sure I knew this at the time Vulnicura came out(?), but I'd totally forgotten Arca was a part of that. Thanks for setting me straight on that. In any event, as good as Vulnicura was, Utopia sounds like a progressive step for Bjork.
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/27/2017 21:18
  • Post subject:
The new Ride ranked 71 of the best albums of 2017. Is it serious ? Surprised The album cover and the title may not be very engaging, ok, but this is a huge Ride album. So many good songs : All I want, Cali, both gorgeous : could have been on Going Blank Again , easily. The title track, a wonderful ballad ending in shoegazing bliss. A solid opening track and ending track, and many other good stuff inbetween.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2017 05:31
  • Post subject:

Ahwar by Nadah El Shazly

Hey I feel like a lot of you all might dig this one, it is really something. Read this if you need convincing http://thequietus.com/articles/23638-na...bum-review
https://nadahelshazly.bandcamp.com/album/ahwar
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 11/28/2017 15:35
  • Post subject:
Finally listened to Aine O'Dwyer's Gallerais, which is the pinnacle (thus far) of the more droning organ works she's been producing after Music for Church Cleaners. Highly recommend.

Also just found and listened to Throes Are the Only Trouble from a quartet of Steve Swell/Michael Foster/Brandon Lopez and a drummer I don't know. One of the more exciting American improvised works from musician's that didn't start pre-'80 released this year.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/28/2017 21:09
  • Post subject:
Today I'm trying to seek out some album I had missed of 2017 and I especially discovered these 2 great ones:

Nothing Valley by Melkbelly

I read somewhere a mixture between the two Kim's (Deal and Gordon of course) and that's exactly what it is while still being highly original, deconstructive, jazzy and catchy at the same time.

Plum by Wand

I don't know their previous records which are supposed more heavy psych rock. This one is fairly mellow but still with very interesting song structures.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2017 16:21
  • Post subject:
Irish Punk is alive and well

• Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2017 11:01
  • Post subject:
I'm lazy about updating my chart here but here is what I have to say about my 10 favorites of 2017

1. Laurel Halo - Dust
https://laurelhalo.bandcamp.com/album/l...t-hdblp036
There's just so much going on here, there's that weird sort of sterile hyperreal sort of sound that is very contemporary, but it's tweaked to feel more subdued/monochrome which is totally contradictory. And then there's the contradiction of the strict quantized stock drum sound tracks vs the spacier stuff with Eli Keszler drumming. I don't understand why this works for me so well but it all cohered into this one whole thing that left a big impression on me this year.

2. Jürg Frey - L'ame est sans retenue I
http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/catalog/EC002.html
This is a six hour album that is mostly silence. Absolute, null value silence. The rest is recordings from a park, essentially recordings of air that occasionally have music intruding in them off in the distance. I know, this probably sounds incredibly pretentious. But there is something very special to the way this album purely works with the barest materials to play with the perception of time. I think it's fair to treat this like a psychedelic experience, like you set out to listen to this and that's the thing that you're going to do today. A lot of people may think it's a waste of time and that's their right but if you're interested and really commit to it I think this has something very special to offer.

3. Jaap Vink - Jaap Vink
http://editionsmego.com/release/REGRM018EXT
I haven't heard the giant Roland Kayn thing that came out recently, but from what I understand this is similar territory. This is music generated by elaborate electronic systems, without human intervention outside of the curation of the material and creation of the system as far as I understand (it gets very complicated though so I may be misunderstanding). There is something very human and composed about this material to me though. The drifting sheets of sound are right up my alley on the aesthetic taste side of things, and while I did use the word "drift" just now, the music still feels like it builds to moments with a sense of purpose. Basically if you like ambient or drone type of stuff, I'd strongly recommend this one to you.

4. Sote - Sacred Horror In Design
http://opaltapes.com/album/sacred-horror-in-design
You may know this guy from his old Warp 12" or releases in the past few years on Morphine or Record Label Records, but this new one isn't really on the IDM side of things. I've been into those recent albums a lot, there's something about his approach to synthesis that captures this feeling of hyperbole for me that I can't get enough of. On this album, he takes that hyperbole to electroacoustic music that incorporates traditional instruments and tuning from Persian culture. I've seen comparisons to Dariush Dolat-Shahi's classic Electronic Music, Tar and Sehtar, but that album had the electronics and traditional instruments coexisting separately in space. But on this Sote album, the traditional instruments wear the electronics, and they get exaggerated with this hyperbolic sound and it's really incredible. The last track flips the script and goes into extended technique with the traditional instruments and throws in some Serge from EMS and it is an incredibly satisfying conclusion.

5. Felicia Atkinson - Hand In Hand
https://shelterpress.bandcamp.com/album/hand-in-hand
I wasn't clued in on Atkinson's stuff before 2015's A Readymade Ceremony, but from what I understand that album marked a large change in how she operates. I guess she was on that ambient drone sort of thing, but A Readymade Ceremony was more like this sort of prosumer lofi computer music where it doesn't exactly sound lofi because it's made with prosumer equipment but there's an exploitation of the weird dryness and usage of intentional clipping. This album is much more refined, and a huge step up as far as I'm concerned. It's a very particular sort of computer music that feels like it could only be made now, but with a drab sort of quality to the sound that flies in the face of so much of what's going on right now. That drabness may read as boring but I found that getting on its wavelength to lead to a really engaging experience. And it is relatively accessible in the way the songs incorporate rhythm and pretty clear forms with a sense of development, you shouldn't have to try too hard if it's something you'd be into.

6. Brother Ah - Searching
https://brotherah.bandcamp.com/album/searching-1985
This was part of a 3 disc set of unreleased archival material from Brother Ah, but I wasn't so into the first two discs. The first one had vocals that I could not get past, and the second one just didn't seem all that striking. But this disc is really something. Super 80s synths stretching out into a beautiful new age tomorrow with some trumpet, flute, and of course some fucking conch shell. Gotta have my conch. This is good Sunday music.

7. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Kid
https://kaitlynaureliasmith.bandcamp.com/album/the-kid
So I know that Smith's stuff may be too soft for some of you guys, but I've been on board with her stuff since Euclid, and one of the many satisfying musical threads of this decade has been seeing her continuing to step up her game. The sound keeps getting richer and the songwriting is moving away from the mantra type of stuff into something more dynamic. I'm into it.

8. Bhob Rainey - From Null Lands Led, Starrily
https://bhobrainey.bandcamp.com/album/f...d-starrily
Here's one for any of you all who are into the old academic electronic stuff, this is an excellent sound adventure in that mold. The middle track slows things down and rides the consistency, but the bread on this sandwich has that whole thing with the longform progression of sound objects and phrases. I have a weakness for that sort of thing but I feel like Rainey brings a special dose of personality to the proceedings, and the structures seem to take advantage of the extreme clarity that is available in musical production today to create a feeling of chaotic activity but with a lot of breathing room to it.

9. Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage
https://visiblecloaks.bandcamp.com/album/reassemblage
Here is another album which just on a superficial level I love because it sounds very good. I'm glad it's been getting some recognition from publications, this one really deserves it. That moment around 1:30 in Terrazzo (Ft. Motion Graphics), where this really sharp sound pops in after some flute and synth doodling, and everything all snaps into focus and primes you for when the synths really start descending in a few moments. That shit is really great. There's a lot of stuff on this album that is really satisfying in how it's put together.

10. Taiwan Housing Project - Veblen Death Mask
https://taiwanhousingproject.bandcamp.c...death-mask
This is great rock music.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2017 04:43
  • Post subject:
I'm easily the most boring member of this site.

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? The rest I'm either already disappointed with and will be removed soon or stabs in the dark for later. I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

I just got into perfume genius. That was really fantastic. Reminded me of a local group here called Officer Jenny.

I typically like bombastic/obvious music (even if subtle, if that makes any sense), but if you tell me something is a grower, I'll keep at it. I usually get frustrated with challenging music (sorry, my head isn't as good as yours).

The War On Drugs and Fleet Foxes and Mac DeMarco are difficult for me to like for some reason.

As I state - so far my list is just a listening list, not actually curated.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=40258
  • Visit poster's website