Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2017 08:26
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Looking for recs personalized to my taste

I'm super lazy about adding stuff to the db here now but here's some stuff

the guy who did that syrobonkers interview with aphex twin does really amazing far out music stuff that isn't idm at all, just put out two albums on entr'acte recently, tho now that they're sold out they're up on bandcamp. this is the one I dig more
https://noyzelab.bandcamp.com/album/fld-rcdr

NEW KASSEL JAEGER ALBUM IS OUTSTANDING. "ambient" but full of activity and interesting composition and just incredible sound, very highly recommended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATTH_7...uocVOH1jz2

I'm not sure how to describe this one but I really think you should hear it
https://m3ds.bandcamp.com/album/mixedsignalgenerators
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 09/28/2017 11:22
  • Post subject:
Moses Sumney's debut record is beauty incarnate. He's a unique guitarist too. It's so intricate and shimmering.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 10/04/2017 14:39
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
the guy who did that syrobonkers interview with aphex twin does really amazing far out music stuff that isn't idm at all, just put out two albums on entr'acte recently, tho now that they're sold out they're up on bandcamp.

become a big fan of both of his albums from this year. Thank you!
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2017 15:29
  • Post subject:

Man Woman Life Death Infinity by The Church

how in the hell does this band keep delivering. this is seriously one of their best.

water-themed gothy, post-punk, new wave, psychedelic, space rock.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2017 08:13
  • Post subject:
too lazy to add things to the database but I've got some words about some things I've been digging lately

Irreversible Entanglements - Irreversible Entanglements
https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/i...anglements

Very cool jazz where two tracks were composed by different members and two others were composed collaboratively, and so you'll get some variety, stuff that's got a minimal repetitive element and another that's sort of on an Ornette Coleman vibe, but it's all strong and unified by some spoken word vocals which may rub some people the wrong way due to how it overtly addresses the current racist political climate, like no matter your persuasion I could imagine some problems with the directness at times, but I think the music is really stronger for having the message delivered this way.

Nomadic Female DJ Troupe - Mix One
https://thelumenlake.bandcamp.com/album/mix-one
Long, super spaced out plunderphonic weirdness, but also with play with voice/synths/effects, they got their own stamp on here and it's awesome. really cool stuff.

Bulbs - Anomalons
https://bulbsbulbs.bandcamp.com/album/anomalons
I liked their thing on Shelter Press last year but didn't get super into it, this is similar stuff but seems stronger to me. It's guitar and drums but heavily damaged by electronics, so more in the ballpark of Black Dice - Creature Comforts though of course it sounds different than that. But ballpark, you know. Anyways this is great and the cover of the cassette is animated, like it moves when you move it, if you're into cassettes that seems cool.

Peter Seligman - Dropup
https://mossarchive.bandcamp.com/album/dropup
This is pretty abrasive, dominated by percussion but with an Autechre headfuck element to it. Except Autechre more often than not really do have a sense of connection to dance music history in their rhythm, this does not.

Keith Fullerton Whitman - Late Monoliths, 2011-2013
https://keithfullertonwhitman.bandcamp....-2011-2013

I've had this physically for a while but now it's streamable so it's actually easy for people to check out now. It's big modular rigs set up to play themselves without further human intervention, for over an hour, six times. So there's a lot of composition in how the machines are set up, some very complex sounds in here. The first three are on the prettier side and sort of take their parameters and just stretch out into infinity, but the last three discs especially feel like they go places, like it'll jump to a new set of parameters in a way that feels natural. I'd recommend 3 on the chill side and 5 on the more active/noisy side.

KFW has actually been uploading all his back catalog with some expanded reissues in there, including his metal 7 inch! Nasturtium, it's a full album now, including a metal version of Steve Reich's Piano Phase! I haven't listened yet but I am excited.

Les Gracies - XPO 201-3
http://lesgracies.bandcamp.com/album/xpo-201-3

this is Afrikan Sciences (who has an excellent album from 2014 that I haven't listened to in forever but I'm going to soon) collaborating with IhearU who I am unfamiliar with, but yeah Afrikan Sciences has this really straightforward easy to grasp approach to beat programming where it's not generic but like you listen to it and you'll feel like you get it, but there's a deceptiveness to it because suddenly something will happen that throws it all off kilter, but it just keeps humming along. I only got one listen in but IhearU seems to bring her own stuff to the mix, I'm not sure exactly how to identify it yet but it's a substantial presence. This is quick one, not too much of your time, give it a chance!

Æther Jag - Amaranthine Stretch
https://norentrecords.bandcamp.com/albu...etch-nrr59

No Rent Records has really emerged as a standout label for me this year, they've had a ton of stuff that's really struck me and just a ton of stuff in general, there's a lot of releases I still need to give more time to. I'm only on my first listen with this one, but it seems like something relatively accessible that I think more people should know about. There's a sort of simple consistent rhythmic element to all the tracks, they sort of operate in that horizontal construction mode where they maintain a consistency overall but develop over time gradually rather than having really distinct parts. But there's also really blurred out reverby vocals and synth stuff, and the timbre of all the elements has a gritty but refined style which for me on a superficial level is just really easy to listen to. But that wouldn't be enough on its own, the construction of the tracks themselves have all sorts of really interesting things happening. Like this is something operating on the fringes but the form is approachable, like give the first track a spin (or if you want to spoil yourself, the 5th track), if you're not feeling it you're probably safe to just quit it but if you're digging it, I think this one will have a lot to offer you.
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 10/22/2017 02:16
  • Post subject:
Excited for new Morrissey release. Q review suggesting "Low in High School" is his best since Vauxhall and l.

Low In High School by Morrissey
  • Visit poster's website
Wh3n1nR0me

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/22/2017 02:42
  • Post subject:

No. They're just morphing into something else now and IMO been going downhill for a while.

If I heard Eternal Panther on the radio for example I'd have no idea it was Mogwai.

Another identity lost.

Here's my MogMix to reflect on better times.

Link

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/23/2017 20:11
  • Post subject:
...aight, so, what's left (that's big)? Think Or is this practically a wrap on the year?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2017 20:39
  • Post subject:
M.E.S.H., James Holden, and Rabit albums should be of interest to fans of rhythm-oriented electronic stuff. and the new taylor swiftwill probably get strong reactions.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2017 22:32
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
...aight, so, what's left (that's big)? Think Or is this practically a wrap on the year?

As a fanboi, I personally am looking forward to the albums by Weezer and U2, but I'm not holding my breath either.
  • Visit poster's website