Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2017 15:46
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Oh geez. I haven't heard anything about it. I just hope it is nothing like Raditude or Hurley. Those albums should be wiped from history.

I heard some interesting clips from U2's studio stuff (no idea if on here) and I was like YES! why can't they sound like this again... but the idiots that be likely won't allow it to be on the final cut. It was some rad bass line and beat with heavy guitar sounds... but again, likely won't make it to the album. I'm still waiting to have the stuff shelved from the Rick Rubin parties to be released some day, but that likely won't see the light either. And then they have the gaul to release this shit single instead of a decent track. idk, I'm still a U2 FanBoi but the last 10 years have been terrible for that band (even if, for me at least, still better than a lot of things I hear).

you talking about that Blackout song? i think that's on the album. though the version i heard sounds way over-produced.

i've heard three(?) new tracks from U2 recently, and they're all 50% badass & 50% cringey-i-can't-stand-this. like.... there are interesting ideas that aren't getting vetting properly or something.

or maybe i'm just too hard on them and should let them be the generic pop band they want so badly to be.
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2017 16:21
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Aww shit, just put it on now. So good.

Definitely more heavy hitting so far. Keen to hear your thoughts.

Just finishing my first listen, and I definitely enjoyed it. Seems to have some influence from Silent Shout era Knife but also maintains the dark atmosphere of her debut. I'll need more listens to know which I prefer but I think it's more exciting than her debut. Also the cover art is pretty amazing.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2017 01:46
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Oh geez. I haven't heard anything about it. I just hope it is nothing like Raditude or Hurley. Those albums should be wiped from history.

I heard some interesting clips from U2's studio stuff (no idea if on here) and I was like YES! why can't they sound like this again... but the idiots that be likely won't allow it to be on the final cut. It was some rad bass line and beat with heavy guitar sounds... but again, likely won't make it to the album. I'm still waiting to have the stuff shelved from the Rick Rubin parties to be released some day, but that likely won't see the light either. And then they have the gaul to release this shit single instead of a decent track. idk, I'm still a U2 FanBoi but the last 10 years have been terrible for that band (even if, for me at least, still better than a lot of things I hear).

you talking about that Blackout song? i think that's on the album. though the version i heard sounds way over-produced.

i've heard three(?) new tracks from U2 recently, and they're all 50% badass & 50% cringey-i-can't-stand-this. like.... there are interesting ideas that aren't getting vetting properly or something.

or maybe i'm just too hard on them and should let them be the generic pop band they want so badly to be.

RE: Bad Ass song... I don't know what it was. It was just a 20 second "in the studio" clip from them like a year and a half ago. Oh, also Edge doing is Fender signature guitar had a sample that was pretty bad ass, but again likely will miss it.

Like seriously, it seems all the good U2 ideas are half baked and never see the day of light and then the shit gets released.

Like this idea... totally bad ass, and doesn't get developed further than this... I mean that's fine, maybe a cool intro to a decent album, but no, they just shelve it. Dumb asses.

Link

RE: Blackout
I heard a live version of it that was pretty badass. I like the dynamics they explored in the breakdown and overall it actually sounds like halfway decent U2.

They are missing someone like Eno, Lanois (sp?), lillywhite, etc. Just like post Beatles aren't as good without Martin, I feel U2 really was only as good as Eno let them be... hahaha. I mean that's not entirely true. They kick ass live without Eno, but like you say, the direction is important.

What's laughable is when songs of innocense was released Bono said something like, nobody wants a new U2 album unless it's good. He also said we will break up as soon as we make 2 shit albums in a row. I think they are a couple over that (probably at least).

RE: wishing they weren't the shit pop band they've become
Totally hear ya. What's ironic is Pop is actually pretty damn good, and might be their last "great" album (even if many disagree). Also, they've just become the rolling stones is all... they are this old band who have achieved this status of no matter what they do, they attract large crowds at their shows... to them they likely still think they got it... who knows.

RE: Unrelated/related
Find it interesting all the "true alternative" bands I grew up loving because they weren't pop, now are all trying to go pop (and really behind the curve, the alternative radio stations went pop 7 years ago).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/13/2017 16:02
  • Post subject:

Brick Body Kids Still Daydream by Open Mike Eagle

Don't be sleeping on this, one of the year's best releases.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2017 05:40
  • Post subject:

Mr. Finish Line by Vulfpeck

Anyone dig Vulfpeck?
  • Visit poster's website
mozzmozz
... five years, that's all we've got

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/14/2017 20:33
  • Post subject: Possibly the best of 2017?
Pure Comedy by Father John Misty - Subversive and Prescient.

Last edited by mozzmozz on 11/24/2017 16:41; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/19/2017 15:48
  • Post subject:
Utopia is definitely one of my favourite albums of 2017... phenomenal energy from Bjork, and the entire project feels really refreshing and confident. Possibly her best since Vespertine.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2017 17:56
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Utopia is definitely one of my favourite albums of 2017... phenomenal energy from Bjork, and the entire project feels really refreshing and confident. Possibly her best since Vespertine.

yeah man, once you get past that album cover, i agree with this. it doesn't have the immediacy as vespertine/post/homogenic/debut, but the quality is there. i liked vulnicura quite a bit, but this new release totally dwarfs it. plus, she got arca with her this go around. arca > haxan cloak any 'ol day of the week.

highlights for me:

* utopia
* loss
* sue me
* paradisa
* saint

lush sound design... so much depth. birds squawking. feathers flapping, fluttering. waters splashing. and the string/flute arrangements - it's pastural without feeling like a cheesy, celtic hippie's wet dream. saint in particular, man. i don't know what to call what she does with that arrangement. there's a very simple melody, but some of the warped backing instruments melt the strings off or some some. it feels almost spanish.

mind-blowing.

Last edited by craola on 11/22/2017 20:12; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/22/2017 18:25
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
yeah man, once you get past that album cover, i agree with this. it doesn't have the immediacy as vespertine/post/homogenic/debut, but the quality is there. i liked vulnicura quite a bit, but this new release totally dwarfs it. plus, she got arca with her this go around. arca > haxan cloak any 'ol day of the week.

highlights for me:

* utopia
* loss
* sue me
* paradisa
* saint

lush sound design... so much depth. birds squawking. feathers flapping, fluttering. waters splashing. and the string/flute arrangements - it's pastural with feeling like a cheesy, celtic hippie's wet dream. saint in particular, man. i don't know what to call what she does with that arrangement. there's a very simple melody, but some of the warped backing instruments melt the strings off or some some. it feels almost spanish.

mind-blowing.

Yeah, I found it super biological, very fresh, very organic, very alive, something growing upon itself, yet perhaps detained within a certain amount of space. It's a super interesting soundscape, and the palette's immaculately composed. Peeerhaps a titch long (could have maybe trimmed it down to the 55-65 minute mark, but otherwise it's a spot-on album). Can only image it sounding amazing on vinyl.

Will agree with the album cover... it's... perhaps not as 'clean' as the album sounds, and a little too inflated. Would've preferred if she used this:

Which I'm not doubting was a serious contender.

I'll match your highlights list and add Blissing Me and The Gate, both are stellar. Only track I didn't completely dig was Features Creatures.

Should note that Arca (who has def matured as an artist since) was a major producer on Vulnicura as well, even more so than Haxan Cloak (who I'm hoping has something cooking up...). This album is far superior though, and that's not saying anything against Vulnicura.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/23/2017 20:51
  • Post subject:
Thank you Keith for Bill Converse.
  • Visit poster's website