Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2017 04:57
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I'm easily the most boring member of this site.

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

I just got into perfume genius. That was really fantastic. Reminded me of a local group here called Officer Jenny.

I typically like bombastic/obvious music (even if subtle, if that makes any sense), but if you tell me something is a grower, I'll keep at it. I usually get frustrated with challenging music (sorry, my head isn't as good as yours).

The War On Drugs and Fleet Foxes and Mac DeMarco are difficult for me to like for some reason.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=40258

I'm gonna throw some at you, and see if anything sticks.

Link

The Best Weezer album to come out this year

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2017 05:23
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

I just got into perfume genius. That was really fantastic. Reminded me of a local group here called Officer Jenny.

I typically like bombastic/obvious music (even if subtle, if that makes any sense), but if you tell me something is a grower, I'll keep at it. I usually get frustrated with challenging music (sorry, my head isn't as good as yours).

The War On Drugs and Fleet Foxes and Mac DeMarco are difficult for me to like for some reason.

I'm gonna throw some at you, and see if anything sticks.

The Best Weezer album to come out this year

hahaha

Thanks! Also really appreciate the songs. If I can't like an artists best song, I probably won't like their average song.

Here's me verbally processing it (take no offense, no filter):

That Afghan Whigs song was kind of disturbing on many levels. Not a bad song, but I didn't shit myself either.
The Rozwell Kid song was very weezer like wasn't it. Somehow I instantly liked it and then halfway through got bored - totally agree on the weezer joke. No idea what they were thinking.
The Grails was pretty cool, especially at first. I was hoping for some singing and dynamics to it after a while so I skipped through to see and definitely interesting dynamics/instrumental band (probably just as interesting as Godspeed You's album). I assume there's no vocals ever based on the sampling I did. Probably coolest stuff so far.
LA Takedown - really liked this.
I wanted to like Omni. Had this like Talking Heads thing. Maybe I'd listen to them at a club, but after a bit it was just too much.
The B Boys track was fantastic. Loved the bass and energy (haha). Actually bombastic - check - bass - check - punk rock attitude... easily best track so far.
The Pile track also is pretty damn good. It's like alt-country punk rock.
The only beef I think I'd find with the last two bands is if the whole album sounds the same.

Thanks again!
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 12/06/2017 05:34
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? The rest I'm either already disappointed with and will be removed soon or stabs in the dark for later. I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

As I state - so far my list is just a listening list, not actually curated.

I have been paying attention to, and enjoying, your music diary and I really think you would get something out of this award winning album. I'm not comparing them to these greats but as a point of reference think U2 meets Bruce Springsteen Aussie/Pacific Islander style. Definitely bombastic but at the same time passionate, emotional, often intimately personal lyrics.

Go Farther In Lightness by Gang Of Youths
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 12/06/2017 10:15
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? The rest I'm either already disappointed with and will be removed soon or stabs in the dark for later. I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

Give this one a go, if you're looking for another rock record

Shade by Living Colour
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/06/2017 13:15
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

I'm thinking Wolf Alice might work for you. Is this one on your list? They have big tunes and are pretty bombastic. They are reasonably commercial sounding without being dumb or cheesy. I've only listened once to their 2017 album so far but it sounded good to me. Plenty of 90s influence in there too.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2017 14:59
  • Post subject:

Drunk by Thundercat
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2017 01:28
  • Post subject:
Thanks everyone!

I've added your lovely recommendations to my chart/listening list.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 12/07/2017 05:32
  • Post subject:
I frequently see users type that they need to get into jazz more, or they're trying to get into jazz, or something similar. There's a lot of great jazz albums from this year, but here are my three picks for jazz from 2017 for those interested

18.4.17 by Pat Thomas & Orphy Robinson

From the ongoing duo "Blacktop," this live recording from Cafe Oto has the players switching across piano, drums, mallet instruments, toys, and sampling. Part jazz, part dub, part carnival music, part political statement; there's a lot going on in a short set but without the excess gravity that it's parts usually carry with it.

Konzert Für Hannes by Jeb Bishop / Mat...hias Muche

Two and a half trombone duos got together to perform a eulogy for the fourth trombonist. A collaborative exploration of quiet extended techniques emphasizing breath (or the lack of it) weaved through more tonal lines that pay tribute to the dead's style.

The Corner by Fred Van Hove & Roger Turner

Shimmering, delicate, yet physical piano and drum duo
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2017 08:18
  • Post subject:
going to check that cafe oto one very soon for sure. also need to explore this list some because I am a big fan of #1 and #3 http://thequietus.com/articles/23721-be...omas-alice -coltrane-nicole-mitchell
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2017 00:36
  • Post subject:

CCFX EP by CCFX
came across this ethereal/post-punk thing today and digging it quite a bit. a bit of the cure, the sundays, u2, delays, et al mixed in there.