Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/05/2017 18:37
  • Post subject:
Updated through Sat 2-4-17 ^^^ Just those that are listed under the specific ratings (7.3, 7.4, 7.5, etc, on up), and more recently, those in bold + italics ... many more revisions to go...
  • Visit poster's website
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 02/14/2017 02:54
  • Post subject:
Hey, just wondering why Bros is ahead of The End? Also, why does Revelation beat any Velvet Underground track for you?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/14/2017 03:57
  • Post subject:
Actually, Revelation is in the "To Be Revisited" section. Heroin and Venus in Furs were ahead of it before they were re-rated. But aren't right now, simply by default (most likely), because they have been revisited and put in the 6.8-7.2 category below. When Revelation is revisited there is a very good chance it will join them and be lower ranked just as it was before, though I won't know for sure until I listen to it again. But, I will say, it is among the most underrated songs in Rock history, often unfairly getting blamed for weakening Da Capo when it is probably Love's greatest single song. Its frantic, never-ending blues, its stream-of-conscious and improvised instrumental assault, exotic and constantly changing rhythms, interrupted and carried by spastic, sexually charged vocal bursts, becomes rather riveting and hypnotic, as if the singer is possessed by his frustrations and innuendos and can't hold himself back from releasing them. It's certainly a precursor to The Doors' modus operandi and shamanistic explorations (such as Light My Fire, The End and When the Music's Over, and the instincts that take over many of their other shorter songs), though The Doors added a profound sense of tragedy, surrealism, poetry and apocalyptic dread that Love didn't begin exploring with any such sensitivity until Forever Changes.

I'll do my best to explain Bros vs The End soon, perhaps later today or maybe tomorrow. Though, being the same rating, the difference is very marginal. Also, being such different songs, that marginal difference might prove difficult to illustrate.

Btw, I really dig your top 40 list! Lots of alike choices!
  • Visit poster's website
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 02/14/2017 04:49
  • Post subject:
That makes sense. Sounds like I caught a "misleading", mid-revision snapshot.

A little something on Revelation - an early, probably pre-exotic version of the jam was likely the inspiration for the Rolling Stones' massively underrated "Goin' Home", which the Stones recorded in LA (Dec 1965) probably after seeing Love live. They share a few lyrics and the subtle crackling and rumbling sounds. Those sounds are are less prevalent in Revelation, but in Goin Home, they're the crux of the song, creating an increasingly obsessive atmosphere in an almost Stooges-y way. But it sounds like Revelation evolved under the influence of "East-West" by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band by the time it was recorded (a huge influence in San Francisco as well), so who knows how it started. Someone in Love said that the producer left in more of the 45 minute jam they recorded than the band intended (weird..the opposite of what usually happens) but he edited it to sound less fluid, more like a suite than jam (doesn't sound like that though). One thing Revelation shares with "Light My Fire" is that it opens and closes with a classical bit. I dig the "sandwich" quality of Da Capo. Punkish song in the middle, surrounded by two pairs of surreal baroque arrangements, surrounded by psychedelic/jazz jams. Maybe the only band of the 60s to have a classic album that's even better than their "classic album", haha.

If you recognize the gist of my list it's because I posted at Listology under seanseansean, so, sup?!
  • Visit poster's website
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 02/14/2017 05:08
  • Post subject:
Related 10-15 minute jams, all from 1966.

"Up In Her Room" - the Seeds: this is the other band from LA who influenced the Doors. The jam sounds somewhat influenced by Goin Home and Revelation, but it predates "Sister Ray" in its general surface monotony, organ sound, and the simultaneously increasing intensity of its lyrics, vocal delivery, and instrumental mayhem, which depicts a crazed 14 minute orgasm.

"Viola Lee Blues" - the Grateful Dead (jug band blues cover): checking out the many live versions online from 1966 through 1970, you can hear how it started out led by organ and not too far from Up In Her Room and then how East-West influenced its improvisation and how the noisiest takes on the song approach Sister Ray's cacophony.

"Bring It On Home" - Q65: little known Dutch band. This is a Chicago blues cover (same one that Led Zeppelin did), but it sounds like a bridge between the Stones "Goin Home" and the Deviants "I'm Comin' Home"

"Two Trains Running" - Blues Project (Muddy Waters cover): predates some of the drama and suspense of the Doors due to its almost symphonic sculpting.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/14/2017 05:16
  • Post subject:
DelBocaVista wrote:
That makes sense. Sounds like I caught a "misleading", mid-revision snapshot.

A little something on Revelation - an early, probably pre-exotic version of the jam was likely the inspiration for the Rolling Stones' massively underrated "Goin' Home", which the Stones recorded in LA (Dec 1965) probably after seeing Love live. They share a few lyrics and the subtle crackling and rumbling sounds. Those sounds are are less prevalent in Revelation, but in Goin Home, they're the crux of the song, creating an increasingly obsessive atmosphere in an almost Stooges-y way. But it sounds like Revelation evolved under the influence of "East-West" by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band by the time it was recorded (a huge influence in San Francisco as well), so who knows how it started. Someone in Love said that the producer left in more of the 45 minute jam they recorded than the band intended (weird..the opposite of what usually happens) but he edited it to sound less fluid, more like a suite than jam (doesn't sound like that though). One thing Revelation shares with "Light My Fire" is that it opens and closes with a classical bit. I dig the "sandwich" quality of Da Capo. Punkish song in the middle, surrounded by two pairs of surreal baroque arrangements, surrounded by psychedelic/jazz jams. Maybe the only band of the 60s to have a classic album that's even better than their "classic album", haha.

If you recognize the gist of my list it's because I posted at Listology under seanseansean, so, sup?!

Oh, right on! I was wondering if you'd find your way here! Great to have you around! Too bad about listology, I'm starting to think we might have to hold a funeral for it someday, the longer it looks that it won't be revived.

As always, great analysis and historical points on Revelation, Goin' Home, etc!
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/14/2017 05:19
  • Post subject:
DelBocaVista wrote:
Related 10-15 minute jams, all from 1966.

"Up In Her Room" - the Seeds: this is the other band from LA who influenced the Doors. The jam sounds somewhat influenced by Goin Home and Revelation, but it predates "Sister Ray" in its general surface monotony, organ sound, and the simultaneously increasing intensity of its lyrics, vocal delivery, and instrumental mayhem, which depicts a crazed 14 minute orgasm.

"Viola Lee Blues" - the Grateful Dead (jug band blues cover): checking out the many live versions online from 1966 through 1970, you can hear how it started out led by organ and not too far from Up In Her Room and then how East-West influenced its improvisation and how the noisiest takes on the song approach Sister Ray's cacophony.

"Bring It On Home" - Q65: little known Dutch band. This is a Chicago blues cover (same one that Led Zeppelin did), but it sounds like a bridge between the Stones "Goin Home" and the Deviants "I'm Comin' Home"

"Two Trains Running" - Blues Project (Muddy Waters cover): predates some of the drama and suspense of the Doors due to its almost symphonic sculpting.

Thank you, don't think I've heard any of these, except possibly the Grateful Dead one and maybe the Muddy Waters original. Do you think any of them have a good shot at my list (including the 6.8-7.2 section) ?
  • Visit poster's website
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 02/14/2017 05:34
  • Post subject:
"Up In Her Room" has a real shot. It gets so joyfully bonkers in its final minutes. It really captures the era.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/14/2017 06:05
  • Post subject:
Great I am surprised that I haven't heard it (at least I don't think so). Thank you, I will check it out later tonight and let you know Smile
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/14/2017 09:02
  • Post subject:
You were correct that it had a shot, but "Up In Her Room" probably falls short of 7/10. Still, an intriguing find and your comments on it were absolutely spot on.
  • Visit poster's website