Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/22/2017 19:48
  • Post subject:
Updates...

FAMILIAR SONGS/TRACKS/MOVEMENTS - RE-RATED:
Pursuance/Psalm - John Coltrane - A Love Supreme - Tracks #3 & 4 (1964) 8.8/10 to 8.7/10
The Creator Has A Master Plan - Pharoah Sanders - Karma - Track #1 (1969) 8.1/10 to 8.4/10
Miss Fortune - Faust - Faust - Track #3 (1971) 8.5/10 to 8.4/10
Arietta: Adagio molto semplice e cantabile - Ludwig van Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor - 2nd Movement (1822) 8.4/10 to 8.3/10
Mode D: Trio and Group Dancers/Mode E: Single Solos and Group Dance/Mode F: Group and Solo Dance - Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady - Track #4 (1963) 8.6/10 to 8.3/10
Alifib/Alife - Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom - Tracks #4 & 5 (1974) 8.4/10 to 8.3/10
Gesangvoll, mit innigster Empfindung. Andante molto cantabile ed espressivo - Ludwig van Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 30 in E Major - 3rd Movement (1820) 8.0/10 to 8.1/10
Free Form Freak-Out #1/Hurricane Fighter Plane/Free Form Freak-Out #2/Transparent Radiation/Free Form Freak-Out #3/War Sucks/Free Form Freak-Out #4 - Red Crayola - Parable of Arable Land - Track #1 (or Tracks 1-7 depending on the issue) [Entire Side A] (1967) 8.3/10 to 8.1/10
Lento - Allegro ma non troppo - Cesar Franck - Symphony in D Minor - 1st Movement (1888) 8.2/10 to 8.1/10
Allegro moderato – Franz Schubert – Symphony No. 8 in B Minor "Unfinished" – 1st Movement (1822) 8.3/10 to 8.1/10; 8.1/10 to 8.2/10
Allegro maestoso - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major - 1st Movement (1785) Not Rated to 8.0/10
The Magic City - Sun Ra - The Magic City - Track #1 (1965) 7.6/10 to 8.0/10
Unit Structure/As of a Now/Section - Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures - Track #3 (1966) 8.1/10 to 8.0/10
Seeds, Visions & Counterpoint - Ivo Perelman - Seeds, Visions & Counterpoint - Track #2 (1996) 7.9/10 to 8.0/10
Variations in Dream-time - Anthony Davis - Variations in Dream-time - Track #2 (1982) Not Rated to 8.0/10
El Quinto Regimiento (The Fifth Regiment), Los Cuatro Generales (The Four Generals), Viva la Quince Brigada (Long Live the Fifteenth Brigade) - Charlie Haden - Liberation Music Orchestra - Track #2 (1969) 7.8/10 to 7.9/10
Allegro con brio - Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 in C minor - 1st Movement (1808) 7.6/10 to 7.7/10
Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands - Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde - Track #14 (1966) 7.7/10 to 7.6/10
Enemy of Light - Anthony Davis - Variations in Dream-time - Track #2 (1982) Not Rated to 7.6/10
Beginning - Keith Jarrett - The Survivor's Suite - Track #2 (1976) Not Rated to 7.5/10
Five Moods From an English Garden - Anthony Davis - Lady of the Mirrors - Track #3 (1980) 7.5/10 to 7.4/10
Under the Double Moon - Anthony Davis - Lady of the Mirrors - Track #4 (1980) 7.3/10 to 7.4/10
Frankie Teardrop - Suicide - Suicide - Track #6 (1977) 7.6/10 to 7.4/10
Improvisie - Paul Bley - Improvisie - Track #1 (1971) 7.3/10 to 7.4/10
Cantelina - Ivo Perelman - Seeds, Visions & Counterpoint - Track #3 (1996) 7.3/10 to 7.4/10
Molto moderato - Franz Schubert - Piano Sonata No. 21 in B-flat Major - 1st Movement (1828) 7.5/10 to 7.4/10
Andante con moto – Franz Schubert – Symphony No. 8 in B Minor "Unfinished" – 2nd Movement (1822)
Not Rated to 7.4/10
Andante sostenuto - Franz Schubert - Piano Sonata No. 21 in B-flat Major - 2nd Movement (1828) 7.6/10 to 7.3/10
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/29/2017 20:01
  • Post subject:
Updated as follows:

Un poco sostenuto — Allegro - Johannes Brahms - Symphony No. 1 in C Minor - 1st Movement (1876) Not Rated to 7.8/10
Andante sostenuto - Moderato con anima (F Minor) - Moderato assai, quasi Andante (B Major - F Major) - Allegro vivo (F Minor) -Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 4 in F Minor - 1st Movement (1878) Not Rated to 7.8/10
Allegro con brio - Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 7 in A Major - 4th Movement (1812) 7.6/10 to 7.7/10
Marcia funebre: Adagio assai - Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major "Eroica" - 2nd Movement (1804) 7.9/10 to 7.6/10
Allegro non troppo - Johannes Brahms - Symphony No. 4 in E minor - 1st Movement (1885) 7.5/10 to 7.6/10
Allegro con brio - Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major "Eroica" - 1st Movement (1804) 7.3/10 to 7.5/10
Finale: Allegro con fuoco (F major) - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 4 in F Minor - 1st Movement (1878) Not Rated to 7.5/10
Andante con moto - Franz Schubert - String Quartet No. 14 in D minor "Death and the Maiden" - 2nd Movement (1824) 7.4/10 to 7.3/10
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/05/2017 23:38
  • Post subject:
Updated as follows:

Piano Sonata in B Minor - Franz Liszt - Piano Sonata in B Minor - 1st Movement (or Movements 1-3 or 4; sometimes listed as 3 or 4 movements) [entire work] (1853) 8.4/10 to 8.6/10
Arietta: Adagio molto semplice e cantabile - Ludwig van Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor - 2nd Movement (1822) 8.3/10 to 8.2/10
Allegro, ma non tanto - Antonin Dvorak - Piano Quintet No. 2 in A Major - 1st Movement (1887) Not Rated to 7.4/10
Oh Comely - Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Track #8 (1998) 7.8/10 to 7.4/10
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/09/2018 04:41
  • Post subject:
Now working on this list again ... going through pretty widespread revisions. My assessments have reached new levels of scrutiny (for better? ... for worse? d'oh! ) leading to me dropping several songs/tracks' ratings and moving many other entries into the "need to revisit" categories below the main list because so many of their ratings/rankings were no longer accurate (though some/many of those may still end up back on the main list after I revisit them).

This increased scrutiny can also be considered an allusion to upcoming ratings/criteria updates -- fwiw... Think
  • Visit poster's website
homelessking

• Posted: 06/06/2020 14:53
  • Post subject:
Is your preferred rating of Parable's side A the one that contains Free Form Freakout No 4 (track 7?), or does it not matter too much with or without the track?

Also I'm very confused as to whether that 4th freakout actually appeared on the pre-remastered versions of the album, or if it's only a Sonic Boom addition, as most sources seem to indicate the former but discogs, which I guess is one of the more trustworthy sites, doesn't think so.
I wonder if you still have the pre-remastered version, or just simply still remember its content so that you could help me with this puzzle.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/06/2020 17:51
  • Post subject:
homelessking wrote:
Is your preferred rating of Parable's side A the one that contains Free Form Freakout No 4 (track 7?), or does it not matter too much with or without the track?

Also I'm very confused as to whether that 4th freakout actually appeared on the pre-remastered versions of the album, or if it's only a Sonic Boom addition, as most sources seem to indicate the former but discogs, which I guess is one of the more trustworthy sites, doesn't think so.
I wonder if you still have the pre-remastered version, or just simply still remember its content so that you could help me with this puzzle.

My impression was that what's labelled as the fourth freakout on the Sonic Boom 2011 remaster is actually the fifth, and what was originally the fourth on the vinyl LP has been lumped in with War Sucks on the remastered CD. So side A ends with War Sucks+free form freakout (either split or combined depending upon the release), and side B starts with what Sonic Boom calls Free Form Freakout 4.

As for the confusion about whether Sonic Boom added a free form freakout: it didn't, but a very common CD release has one of the free form freakouts cut (I think it's one of the two freakouts that follow War Sucks, I don't remember which one now), while Sonic Boom retained it. You can find this cut version on Youtube; even the opening sounds different (the "crash" right at the beginning is missing).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
homelessking

• Posted: 06/06/2020 23:23
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
homelessking wrote:

My impression was that what's labelled as the fourth freakout on the Sonic Boom 2011 remaster is actually the fifth, and what was originally the fourth on the vinyl LP has been lumped in with War Sucks on the remastered CD. So side A ends with War Sucks+free form freakout (either split or combined depending upon the release), and side B starts with what Sonic Boom calls Free Form Freakout 4.

As for the confusion about whether Sonic Boom added a free form freakout: it didn't, but a very common CD release has one of the free form freakouts cut (I think it's one of the two freakouts that follow War Sucks, I don't remember which one now), while Sonic Boom retained it. You can find this cut version on Youtube; even the opening sounds different (the "crash" right at the beginning is missing).

I see, thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 09/10/2021 20:11
  • Post subject:
Something you may be interested in: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...672#632672
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/10/2021 22:58
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
Something you may be interested in: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...672#632672

Thanks I'll check it out. I updated this list just now -- or at least a "lazy" update for now... Just fixed most of the ratings above 7.3 on only selections that were already there (so dozens, hundreds?, still need to be added).
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 09/11/2021 21:01
  • Post subject:
I ended up including that Death Grips song (Steroids) as a contender. I mean it's 22 mins, so there's a good chance it could be one of the best rap songs ever.
  • Visit poster's website