Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/11/2021 21:55
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
I ended up including that Death Grips song (Steroids) as a contender. I mean it's 22 mins, so there's a good chance it could be one of the best rap songs ever.

Intriguing catch! I haven't heard it yet and it doesn't appear The Notorious PS has rated it yet even though he gives it a short review.

Funny fact: I was just (very casually) listening to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy while the vast majority of my attention was giving Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper some pretty serious study. A few songs into the album I stopped and caught myself in the absurdity and irony of it and wondered how disgusted Leonardo would've been Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 09/12/2021 18:46
  • Post subject:
I don't really know much about Da Vinci's personality. Would he be disgusted by the album because it's very hedonistic? Wink
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/12/2021 22:57
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
I don't really know much about Da Vinci's personality. Would he be disgusted by the album because it's very hedonistic? Wink

Yep - an understatement haha - a very religious individual and singular genius, one of the most intellectual people to have ever lived (many consider him the premier Renaissance Man, the premier Polymath), plus we're talking 15th/16th century Italy here so there would've been utter disgust at today's music in general, though that's an unfair comparison because there's 500+ years in between of civilization and different societal/cultural norms. Leonardo was mostly producing art works for an aristocratic class or highly religious community.
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 09/12/2021 23:08
  • Post subject:
I'm curious of what you think of that Steroids song, if you ever get interested enough to check it out. It's definitely more electronic than anything on Exmilitary, and has movements. And I'm referring to the one-song EP of Steroids. Not the "record store day LP."
  • Visit poster's website
mianfei

Australia

• Posted: 10/22/2021 11:39
  • Post subject: Re: Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time
AfterHours wrote:
Recommendations and suggestions welcome.]
One I was really surprised by on a second or third listing, and from an album you might know:

— “Eskimo Blue Day” – Jefferson Airplane – Volunteers – Track 7 (1969)

This is an amazing epic with the most remarkable lyrics about ecology and keyboard work (listen carefully) from Slick, and equally good guitar interplay between Kantner and Kaukonen. On a third listen, there is nothing I have heard from the Airplane to compare with it. It’s strange, and was as early as the late 1970s, to think that American FM radio might have played a song like that in the late 1960s.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/22/2021 19:06
  • Post subject: Re: Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time
mianfei wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Recommendations and suggestions welcome.]
One I was really surprised by on a second or third listing, and from an album you might know:

— “Eskimo Blue Day” – Jefferson Airplane – Volunteers – Track 7 (1969)

This is an amazing epic with the most remarkable lyrics about ecology and keyboard work (listen carefully) from Slick, and equally good guitar interplay between Kantner and Kaukonen. On a third listen, there is nothing I have heard from the Airplane to compare with it. It’s strange, and was as early as the late 1970s, to think that American FM radio might have played a song like that in the late 1960s.

Excellent pick! Yes, Volunteers is probably my favorite JA album (After Bathing at Baxter's challenges), and that is one of three songs I would most strongly consider from it (Hey Frederick, Wooden Ships).
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 10/22/2021 21:54
  • Post subject:
Recommendations:
-Daddy - Korn
-Fight the Power - Public Enemy
-Kim - Eminem
-In/Flux - DJ Shadow
-N-Er-Gee Crisis Blues - The Residents
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/23/2021 20:44
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
Recommendations:
-Daddy - Korn
-Kim - Eminem
-In/Flux - DJ Shadow

Thank you!

N-Er-Gee Crisis Blues should be added. Daddy is a strong possibility that I would need to revisit to determine. In/Flux is an interesting idea that I don't recall offhand and I'd have to revisit as well. Kim is a maybe. For Fight the Power it may depend on how/if I change or add to the ratings to better accompany shorter tracks. It's tough for shorter tracks to make it because they don't usually develop enough emotional/conceptual/creative impact by the time they're done to make it above 6/10, even if they're "on pace" to do so, and "per unit of time" can make just as much of a contribution to the overall rating of an album. So in terms of relative value, the best short tracks are just as worthy as many of the best longer tracks -- it just might not be best reflected by an "overall" rating, but would be better reflected by something closer to a rating based on "per qualitative pace/per unit of time". That would put longer and shorter tracks on equal ground and I've considered possibly doing a sub-list for this, below the main one, or maybe having "per unit of time" ratings in parenthesis/brackets to the right of each of the main list entries. Just not a priority until maybe I'm working on this again. But these are all good reminders for if/when I do so and N Er Gee Crisis Blues should be on here any way for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 10/23/2021 22:40
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
Recommendations:
-Daddy - Korn
-Kim - Eminem
-In/Flux - DJ Shadow

Thank you!

N-Er-Gee Crisis Blues should be added. Daddy is a strong possibility that I would need to revisit to determine. In/Flux is an interesting idea that I don't recall offhand and I'd have to revisit as well. Kim is a maybe. For Fight the Power it may depend on how/if I change or add to the ratings to better accompany shorter tracks. It's tough for shorter tracks to make it because they don't usually develop enough emotional/conceptual/creative impact by the time they're done to make it above 6/10, even if they're "on pace" to do so, and "per unit of time" can make just as much of a contribution to the overall rating of an album. So in terms of relative value, the best short tracks are just as worthy as many of the best longer tracks -- it just might not be best reflected by an "overall" rating, but would be better reflected by something closer to a rating based on "per qualitative pace/per unit of time". That would put longer and shorter tracks on equal ground and I've considered possibly doing a sub-list for this, below the main one, or maybe having "per unit of time" ratings in parenthesis/brackets to the right of each of the main list entries. Just not a priority until maybe I'm working on this again. But these are all good reminders for if/when I do so and N Er Gee Crisis Blues should be on here any way for sure.

N Er Gee Crisis Blues is a truly bizarre song that will probably never be replicated. I would say that Kim is probably the 3rd best rap song ever (IMO). And I'd say In/Flux is probably DJ Shadow's best work, with Step/Long Step being his 2nd best.

Also, I forgot to mention "Zaar" off of Peter Gabriel's Passion; and "I Do Not Want This" from Nine Inch Nails. And I've always thought "The Sprawl" was Daydream Nation's best song, or maybe "Trilogy" if you count it all as one song.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/24/2021 19:01
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
Recommendations:
-Daddy - Korn
-Kim - Eminem
-In/Flux - DJ Shadow

Thank you!

N Er Gee Crisis Blues is a truly bizarre song that will probably never be replicated. I would say that Kim is probably the 3rd best rap song ever (IMO). And I'd say In/Flux is probably DJ Shadow's best work, with Step/Long Step being his 2nd best.

Also, I forgot to mention "Zaar" off of Peter Gabriel's Passion; and "I Do Not Want This" from Nine Inch Nails. And I've always thought "The Sprawl" was Daydream Nation's best song, or maybe "Trilogy" if you count it all as one song.

Thank you, maybe I'll start updating this again once I've tapered off from paintings a bit. Though I also have my sights on Classical, and some Rock reviews/analysis, so... I dunno
  • Visit poster's website