New Year's Music Resolutions

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2017 08:58
  • Post subject: New Year's Music Resolutions
There was an older thread for this but it closed. Anyway, what are some of your musical goals for the year? Exploring a new artist, genre, sub-genre? Trying to finish all of BEA's Top [insert number]?

Personally I would like to listen to more albums from the current decade and hopefully discover one I can really get into. I say that all the time and I always fail. If anyone wants to help me on that, I'm all ears.
WhySoManyCats

• Posted: 01/03/2017 09:58
  • Post subject:
As I'm fairly new into listening to music and the BEA scene I'm trying to gain more knowledge and experience of music by making my way through the top 100 and I would say I'm probably about half way through.

I'm also a very big fan of ranking things, I like putting things in an order so I hope to complete some discographies of some bands and see how each album compares to one another.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2017 11:43
  • Post subject:

my resolution is for the 2017 version of this to not have a pac man that's eating all the other decades. more balance in my attention towards other decades than the current one.

StreetSpirit my top 3 recommendations of stuff from the current decade for you would be

Micachu And The Shapes - Never
Fog - For Good
Last Ex - Last Ex
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/03/2017 13:21
  • Post subject:
More jazz, hip hop and "world" music to put it as broad as possible, meaning more "traditional" (or some modern variants) music from all around the world. Western Africa for example has been particularly rewarding so far...

To keep following new music at least in the range I do now (50-60 albums per year, I feel like that was quite enough, the trick is finding the right ones...).

To go to more live shows...
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 01/03/2017 13:35
  • Post subject:
My music resolutions for this year is just to get around to albums that I really should've heard by now - whether they're classic albums or are albums that I wanted to get into for years. Already getting that off the ground by listening to Blondie's Parallel Lines on New Years Day and now listening to Portishead's Third. I also wanted to get my music diary up-and-running again, as I feel like I've abandoned it a lot and also because I was too jaded and uninspired to contribute anything to it last year. I won't revive it immediately and it won't be a regular thing for me, but after this first week of the new year, I'll get to it then.

Hopefully, these will follow through, this year.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2017 16:39
  • Post subject:
My goal is to fall in love with the Dave Matthews Band once and for all. I've tried any nmbr of times y'know four close friends of mine SWEAR by this band, but I've nvr.... Nah, who I kidding? I don't like DMB. I probably never will.

OK so remix. My goal is to discover more local music. What makes Portland tick? What are the gems that I've been missing? The diamonds in the rough? Etc. I want to get more into supporting stuff in my area.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/03/2017 16:52
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
More jazz, hip hop and "world" music to put it as broad as possible, meaning more "traditional" (or some modern variants) music from all around the world. Western Africa for example has been particularly rewarding so far...

If I could help at all: Africa, Jazz, plenty of my personal recs on those. If you need help finding copies of anything, just let me know too Smile

Craola wrote:
My goal is to discover more local music. What makes Portland tick? What are the gems that I've been missing? The diamonds in the rough? Etc. I want to get more into supporting stuff in my area.

That's a great resolution. If I was closer to Toronto I would definitely try to get into the local scene there. Trying to figure out what's big, what's new, etc... Make the people who release new albums slightly more tangible, if that makes sense.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/03/2017 16:57
  • Post subject:
Hmmm... a 2017 goal? Don't really make them to be honest, although if I were to it would probably be more of the same - to discover lots of little indie pop bands who get criminally overlooked year-on-year despite producing some of the most delicious music of the decade thus far, delve even deeper into Brazilian and African music, find more obscure JA curios to drop in Plug, locate vinyl copies of The Blue Trees by GZM and It's Only Right And Natural to call my own and finally write and record my long-overdue LP.
  • Visit poster's website
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 01/03/2017 21:09
  • Post subject:
My goal is to get out to at least 40 shows this year. Last year I made it to 29, which is probably my most since 2010, and when one considers I didn't see a show last year until June (money was kind of tight), that should be quite possible as long as the money station stays stable.

I would also like to make a dent in my "to listen" list. There is stuff that has been on there since this time last decade.

Live Albums

Death Metal
  • Visit poster's website
slurpdurp

Canada

• Posted: 01/03/2017 22:11
  • Post subject:
My goal is to finish catching up on the history of music. I only started listening to music in 2016 so I want to make my way through the best albums of each decade since the 60s according to BEA. I also want to listen to an album a week that was released in 2017. Once I'm caught up in the history of music I want to stay current with what is coming out nowadays.
  • Visit poster's website