New Year's Music Resolutions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2020 22:12
  • Post subject:
I don't remember if I made a resolution for 2020. Probably did, but completely zoned out since how turbulent the year was. But I will say the fact I got my Greatest chart to the full 100 was a big shock for me. I could see some things happen for 2021. Some top 100 years being finished. Like 1993 would be done by early 2021. 2020 needs a clean up. And there is other years I want to tackle. But I will keep that a surprise.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2021 00:24
  • Post subject:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9d...f96iNbn98Q

@baystate, just saw this playlist to commemorate the artists we lost this decade and reminded me of your efforts as well.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/01/2021 20:17
  • Post subject:
I need to try start listening to less music lol

Seriously just one or two albums a day would be better for me.

I could get SO much other stuff done.

Although I am good at doing things while listening to music especially household chores so I will keep doing that
  • Visit poster's website
planetneutral

• Posted: 01/01/2021 20:24
  • Post subject:
I started a diary here this week that I am resolving to stick with for a while. A successful result of that effort would be ratings for the entire Rolling Stone 500 album list from last year. I'm almost 70% of the way there.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/01/2021 20:49
  • Post subject:
idk maybe actually be consistent with my diary i guess
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2021 21:29
  • Post subject:
One year ago, CA Dreamin wrote:
So resolution for 2020...try harder. I got a turntable and joined Spotify in 2019, but haven't fully utilized them yet. But I know they're what I need in 2020.
Try harder? That's vague but I know what I meant. I have a small vinyl collection now, hope to expand that in '21. And thanks to corona and Spotify, I listened to more music in 2020 than 2019. It should've been more though. I found myself using Spotify to explore a ton of comedy albums this past year. 2020 was rough, the humor helped. For 2021, just keep expanding.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2021 14:22
  • Post subject:
CharlieBarley wrote:
I need to try start listening to less music lol

Seriously just one or two albums a day would be better for me.

I could get SO much other stuff done.

Although I am good at doing things while listening to music especially household chores so I will keep doing that

Gonna be completely honest, I'm sort of in the same boat. In 2019 I read something like 30-40 books and didn't listen to a ton of new music (my 2019 chart is my sparsest since the 90s I think). In 2020 I listened to thousands of albums but only read 1-2 books. Though... I used to read on my commute (by train) and during lunch breaks, neither of which are a thing for me anymore... But I received a couple very thoughtful books for the holidays this year, so I definitely at least need to read them. One of them is about music so I'm counting that in my "music goals" haha.

I don't think it's reasonable to listen to thousands of new albums the way I did in 2020, but I think at the very least I can try to keep up-to-date with 2021, and listen to at least 100 albums released this coming year. Once the pandemic eases up here, I'll plan to start frequenting my favorite record store again. That should help with new music discovery.

I'd also like to continue listening to non-US/UK music moving forward. I made headway in 2020 listening to continental European, African, and Latin American music, and I think I need to broaden that to all of Asia (not just Japan) as well while continuing my journey into African and Latin American music. I think a good goal for 2021 would be to have my "listened" albums to be <50% US- or UK-based (currently around 50% US and 75% US+UK).

Another goal is to listen to more classical or pre-1940s music. While I don't include classical music in my charts (which is why I think I focused so much less on classical this year, I was so focused on expanding my charts), I still love it and enjoy listening to stuff I haven't heard before. In 2020 I only listened to one classical piece I hadn't heard before, so this should be an easy goal. Frequenting the record store should also help with this.

So my 2021 goals are (in order from easiest to hardest):
1) listen to more classical music
2) read more books, including at least one about music/musicians/etc (fiction or non-fiction)
3) listen to at least 100 albums released in 2021
4) listen to enough non-US/UK-based artists that my "listened" list is <50% US/UK

On another note, is there a way to bookmark this to remind me to check again next year? haha
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/04/2021 14:29
  • Post subject:
Finally find the time to make a greatest album chart. I think it's a realistic target, since I've done quite some re-listening during the last months and I expect it to be ready in the next 6-8 months.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/04/2021 14:41
  • Post subject:
Keep listening to shit I like really and find new stuff too.

Probably listened to roughly 1000 albums last year give or take (my job allows for this, it's great, I'm on lunch now but have had 5 albums on earlier), got a lovely new vinyl stand as a Christmas gift also so I'm revising that and playing stuff at home in the evenings.

It really is the best time to be listening to music, maybe the magic in the hunt is lost a little, depends on what you're into (I remember fighting through file site after file site, dodgy ad after dodgy ad, to find some Minutemen songs, now it's all accessible through my phone in seconds). There's only one thing I haven't been able to get my hands on online that I really want (there were these lads in my uni a decade or so ago and they were insane, like nothing else I've ever heard, fluctuating between hip hop and jazz and prog and tons of other shit that sounds terrible on paper but damn did it work and I still haven't found anything remotely like it, anyway, one of my mates gave me a dodgy recording of one of their sets via USB and now I can't find it, but damn was it good, like if that was an album it'd crack my top 20 easily, last I heard they disappeared after uni and remnants of their music are non-existent online).

• Visit poster's website
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 01/04/2021 16:37
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
There's only one thing I haven't been able to get my hands on online that I really want (there were these lads in my uni a decade or so ago and they were insane, like nothing else I've ever heard, fluctuating between hip hop and jazz and prog and tons of other shit that sounds terrible on paper but damn did it work and I still haven't found anything remotely like it, anyway, one of my mates gave me a dodgy recording of one of their sets via USB and now I can't find it, but damn was it good, like if that was an album it'd crack my top 20 easily, last I heard they disappeared after uni and remnants of their music are non-existent online).

What's the band's name? I have some archivist friends left over from my what.cd days, I'll see if I can track it down for you
  • Visit poster's website