Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2021 16:49
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
1. Update my overall chart at least once. It's crazy how quickly this gets out of date.

Updated in May, though I suppose it's out of date again now.

babyBlueSedan wrote:
2. Stop thinking so much about the rating I'm going to give an album while I'm listening to it. This has really become a problem lately, and it make me enjoy albums less.

I think I was better at this. I've started to not rate albums I don't care about, or turn them off midway through if I'm not feeling them. Starting to feel less obsessed about rating every single thing I listen to.

babyBlueSedan wrote:
3. Related to 2, listen to new albums or favorites more often. Most of my listens lately have been to albums I'm unsure of my opinion on in an attempt to solidify my opinion. But there's really no reason I have to have a strong opinion on everything and would rather spend time listening to things I love or new things I might love.

However, I was pretty bad at this. Definitely listened to more new albums than in past years but also spent way too much time revisting them to solidify opinions. Maybe that's not all a bad thing? But it still feels like a large chunk of my album listens are albums I don't end up caring for and most of the albums in my iTunes that I love haven't been listened to in over a year.

babyBlueSedan wrote:
4. Go to more concerts. I think I only went to 1 last year and I have 2 lined up for this year so hopefully I'll be able to do it!

Well, about that...

As for this year, I'm going to keep things simple:

1. Start my music diary again at some point. I never intended to stop my techno/house diary but it just kind of happened between being really busy and not being in the mood for the genres. I got a lot out of them early in quarantine as they seemed like escapism but as things have dragged on and only gotten worse I haven't felt like listening to upbeat music as much. I also kind of burned out after listening to nothing but techno for like two weeks haha. Regardless of what the diary is about though I'd like to start writing more about music again. I went through week-long periods where I was obsessed with thrash metal and sophisti-pop earlier this year, and while those obsessions never last long enough for me to fully chronicle I could at least write about them in the moment. So yeah, this is pretty vague but I think most of my resolutions for 2021 will be non-music related.
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 01/04/2021 17:38
  • Post subject:
Need to reach the goal of listening to min. 2000 albums before I turn 20.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/04/2021 19:33
  • Post subject:
PossiblyMichigan wrote:
What's the band's name? I have some archivist friends left over from my what.cd days, I'll see if I can track it down for you

Appreciate it but we're talking about a band which changed its name and members on a weekly basis within a tiny niche of the (already tiny) Cork music scene at a time when Bandcamp and online recordings hadn't become as big as they are now (at least in the case of Ireland), there was probably at the absolute most 2 dozen of us who had the files of a band with no online presence, no self-recorded or released music and no idea what they really wanted to be, but damn was it good. From asking around no one seems to still have it, the band members have all moved on long ago, but I'm sure it's buried somewhere in my parents house on an old disc or drive if I can just get lucky...

• Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2022 16:54
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
My resolutions for 2021:

1. To run a 2020 album tournament successfully.
2. To repeat my February Black History Month and March Women's History Month listening projects. May make some exceptions for the hip-hop tournament as necessary.
3. To play the canon game all year again.
4. To make a 2021 remembrance chart in addition to my 2021 year chart, like I have in 2020.

The first three resolutions were all successes. I decided to abandon the fourth before I started it. How did music resolutions go for you all?

~~~~~

Music resolutions for 2022:

1. To run the 2021 album tournament successfully.
2. To repeat the February Black History Month and March Women's History Month listening projects.
3. To play the canon game all year again.
4. To get at least one of my (non-year) charts to a state that feels 'finished.'
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2022 18:27
  • Post subject:
Thanks for bumping this Baystate, and for your wonderful resolutions which result in the contests, etc.!

Well, let's see how I did:
EyeKanFly wrote:
So my 2021 goals are (in order from easiest to hardest):
1) listen to more classical music
2) read more books, including at least one about music/musicians/etc (fiction or non-fiction)
3) listen to at least 100 albums released in 2021
4) listen to enough non-US/UK-based artists that my "listened" list is <50% US/UK

On another note, is there a way to bookmark this to remind me to check again next year? haha

1) resounding success! I listed to over 150 classical albums (or album-equivalents), comprising about 10% of my listened albums over the year. By hours listened though, it's probably much more. Since some "albums" are whole operas, or a cycle of symphonies (e.g. Beethoven's 9 symphonies or Haydn's 12 London symphonies each as their own single "album"). Opera was one of my most listened genres on Spotify. One big success with my classical listening is that I've been able to hone in on classical subgenres and understand what I like and don't like. For example, I'm not a huge fan of sonatas but I love piano concertos and cello concertos. I've also learned about what some genres are. I never understood the difference between sonatas (typically a solo piano piece or piano + 1 featured instrument framed in 3 movements: fast-slow-fast) and concertos (featured instrument with a backing orchestra, also in the fast-slow-fast movement structure) before this year.

2) no idea what book I was referring to last year when I said I was gifted a music book lol, I guess I didn't read that one. However I think I'd count this goal as a success. I read 6 books in 2021, more than my 4 from 2020. One book I read also introduced me to a new genre: powow-step and the band A Tribe Called Red/The Halluci Nation. I think I'll keep this goal for 2022 though, since 6 books is still significantly less than my 2019 number.

3) success, I think I may have done 200. Solid year for music

4) not quite, although I did managed to bring my "listened" list from ~75% US/UK to ~67%. 50% was ambitious, not sure how attainable that goal is.

Well anyway, some new (similar) goals for 2022, also ordered from easiest to hardest:
- listen to musicians from at least 2 countries I've never listened to before
- listen to music by Native American/first nations/Indigenous American/Amerindian musicians
- listen to at least 100 albums from 2022
- visit a new record store (if it's safe to do so)
- read more than 6 books, including at least one about music (fiction or non-fiction) - this year I did receive a book on music, so I will try to make sure to read this: Major Labels by Kelefa Sanneh
- fill up at least one year chart to 100 albums (in addition to 2022)
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/01/2022 22:24
  • Post subject:
The goal I had set for 2021 was to create an overall chart. It’s fair to say I failed spectacularly. To be honest, I don't see it happening any time soon, so I’m going for something more realistic this time, namely to finish my ‘60s exploration and create a decade chart.
When it comes to other forms of art, I watched more movies than usual, but read less books than my average, so maybe try to improve on the latter.
May everyone have a successful 2022!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/02/2022 03:26
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

Well anyway, some new (similar) goals for 2022, also ordered from easiest to hardest:
- listen to musicians from at least 2 countries I've never listened to before
- listen to music by Native American/first nations/Indigenous American/Amerindian musicians
- read more than 6 books, including at least one about music (fiction or non-fiction)

Throw some countries my way, I'll see what I can rec Smile 2 is easy, you could probably do that by tomorrow.

And if you want to get into Native/Indigenous music/works, my main recs all come from Canada, but if you also want to read some books, I'm going to merge those last two categories and toss you some author recs — N Scott Momaday (Kiowa), Lee Maracle (Sto꞉lo, RIP), Tanya Tagaq (Inuk), Zitkála-Šá (Sioux), Louise Erdrich (Ojibwe), Natalie Diaz (Mojave), and Ofelia Zepeda (Tohono Oʼodham— I don't remember if she actually has any novels, but check out her poetry).

(Tagaq also has some solid albums/EPs).

My goal for the year is to stray away from albums a little and focus on singles/rarities/one-off tracks from the 50s-70s. Go through stacks of 45s. I know a lot of albums. I want to dive into what never landed on one.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 01/02/2022 09:42
  • Post subject:
Listen to as many 2022 albums as I have time to. Hope it'll be 200-300 minimum.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/02/2022 11:45
  • Post subject:
I want to discover more through radio shows instead of streaming services. Im not using a streaming service at the moment and I might completely abstain for a few months to keep my listening simple and more old school. Ive been listening to quite a bit of BBC 6music lately.

I’m also feeling the need to return to my collection more after listening to a lot of new (or at least new to me) stuff in 2021.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/02/2022 12:21
  • Post subject:
Quote:
- Finish the 90s chart, try to trim down metal picks and listen to a lot of stuff that I've missed from the decade. I'd love to do an early version of 80s chart as well.
- 2021. (Re)listen to some 2020 stuff as well and start a 20s chart.
- Finish "Metal albums not in BEA top 10000" chart

Did not finish the 90s chart. I've cut the metal picks a bit (still >20% of the chart is metal, but what can you do, it's the best metal era), I've heard some of the classics I've missed, but there's more work to do. I do miss only 5-6 albums before having 100 I'm completely happy with, so that's something.
2021 wasn't as good as 2020, I've heard less albums (for now), my interests were elsewhere. I still got to ~250 rated albums and a further who knows how many listened but not rated. I did get the time to go over some 2020 gems again.
Didn't finish the metal chart, but it's 95% done.

For the next year I'm going with similar goals:
- finish the 90s chart (should be fast), but also listen to as many 90s classics as I can
- have the 80s chart almost done or fully done
- 2022, beat the 2021 tally of listened albums. Also get the 20s chart up to 60 entries, only the worthy ones
- fill the overall draft chart (currently at 90-95 entries)
- tourneys and get to know a top 10 (maybe run a tourney?)

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website