View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2022 15:16
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:

Well anyway, some new (similar) goals for 2022, also ordered from easiest to hardest:
- listen to musicians from at least 2 countries I've never listened to before
- listen to music by Native American/first nations/Indigenous American/Amerindian musicians
- read more than 6 books, including at least one about music (fiction or non-fiction)

Throw some countries my way, I'll see what I can rec Smile 2 is easy, you could probably do that by tomorrow.

And if you want to get into Native/Indigenous music/works, my main recs all come from Canada, but if you also want to read some books, I'm going to merge those last two categories and toss you some author recs — N Scott Momaday (Kiowa), Lee Maracle (Sto꞉lo, RIP), Tanya Tagaq (Inuk), Zitkála-Šá (Sioux), Louise Erdrich (Ojibwe), Natalie Diaz (Mojave), and Ofelia Zepeda (Tohono Oʼodham— I don't remember if she actually has any novels, but check out her poetry).

(Tagaq also has some solid albums/EPs).

My goal for the year is to stray away from albums a little and focus on singles/rarities/one-off tracks from the 50s-70s. Go through stacks of 45s. I know a lot of albums. I want to dive into what never landed on one.

Admittedly some of the goals are low bars, but I'm happy to have the recs! Maybe let's go with Bangladesh and Vietnam first? I believe those are the 2 biggest countries where I haven't heard anything from.

Thanks very much for the authors, I do have a few books lined up, most notably The Inconvenient Indian by Tom King (who claims some Cherokee descent), a nonfiction book which I've seen referenced in tons of other books, articles, etc. I've read, but haven't gotten around to reading it myself. I'm of course more than happy to read novels and poetry as well, I usually get through that quicker than nonfiction.

Straying away from the album format is also something I'm working on for 2022 as well, I think I did a good job with this in the last few months. I've learned not to fear the compilation, and also forayed into lots of classical music, musicals, soundtracks, and music from the pre-album era. A deep dive into singles isn't really on the agenda for me, but who knows, maybe I'll get there.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/03/2022 16:13
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Admittedly some of the goals are low bars, but I'm happy to have the recs! Maybe let's go with Bangladesh and Vietnam first? I believe those are the 2 biggest countries where I haven't heard anything from.

Bengali musicians, (from Bangladesh before it was Bangladesh)—

Ali Akbar Khan, who is probably my favourite Hindustani classical musician—

Morning And Evening Ragas by Ali Akbar Khan

The 80 Minute Râga by Ali Akbar Khan

Vilayat Khan (Ustad Vilayatkhan), one of the all-time sitar greats—

A Treasure From Solomon's Mines by Vilayat Khan
(this one is available on Youtube I believe)

Shyamal Sinha, whose only known album had an excellent reissue in 2019—

Sarod Ragas by Shyamal Sinha

And Pannalal Ghosh, who favoured the flute and got a bit more of a chill-psych sound because of that—

Raag Yaman • Raag Shri by Pannalal Ghosh

Most are given Indian nationality on BEA though.

Modern Bangladeshi albums are rare to come by, and all the ones I've heard are bad. ( Anxious )

Vietnam has a lot more offerings due to a recent surge of releases in the country, so here's a few new releases, and two that are more traditional—

Triad by Triad God
(Cloud rap)

Ngủ Ngày Ngay Ngày Tận Thế by R...p Đuôi
(Experimental, hard to define, maybe... glitchy post-industrial?— pretty good though, and only came out a few months ago)

Snail Skeleton by Ly Trang
This one vaguely reminded me of The Books. Need to revisit it, but I remember it being a very lovely and quaint work.

Saigon Rock & Soul (Vietnamese Clas...us Artists
Probably the best comp you could ask for. Think Nuggets, but Vietnamese.

From Rice Paddies And Temple Yards: Tra...ong Nguyen
Bizarrely, this one is technically a book. It just comes with a CD of some of the most pristine recordings of traditional music from that era.

Ensemble Nguyên Vinh Bao by Ensemble Nguyên Vinh Bao
And this one is an easier-to-find traditional record, but it doesn't get a super hot rec from me. I'd go with the others first.

Khanh Ly is a big name in the history of Vietnamese pop, but I always find it hard to rec her.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/03/2022 16:19
  • Post subject:
The last (and maybe only) time I made a genuine New Years’ resolution of any sort that I genuinely intended to stick to was at the beginning of 2020, when I resolved to support local and upcoming artists by attending more gigs. I started off pretty well, but that was swiftly curtailed by a global pandemic and the subsequent shutdown of almost all public and social activity. As such, I’m reluctant to make the same mistake again. I suppose it would be good to quit smoking at some point. I’d also like to start a podcast, which will almost certainly be music-adjacent if not completely musical in scope. Besides that, I could definitely make a better attempt to keep up with more new music. Seeing various year-end lists and BEA user charts really makes clear to me how few of 2021’s major or widely liked releases I actually bothered to check out, including within my own sphere of personal preference.

Anyway, I’ve got a ticket to see Open Mike Eagle at my local venue in April, so that’ll be nice.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2022 22:58
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
*awesome recommendations*

This is awesome, thanks Hayden!

I'm not as interested in where an artist is "from" on BEA; though it helps for my own understanding and my attempts to branch out into different genres of world music, it can be understandably difficult pinning down where someone is "from" or where the band was formed for a number of different reasons. And someone being born before their (current) nation gained independence is certainly one of those reasons.

I've listened to Ali Akbar Khan before, though I didn't realize he was from what is now Bangladesh. I don't think I've listened to either of the albums above.

Thanks again, I already have a bunch of First Nations' albums from your "Maple Syrup" chart in the pipeline, I genuinely appreciate it! Although I guess I should wait to thank you until after I've listened Laughing
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/04/2022 04:18
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Although I guess I should wait to thank you until after I've listened Laughing

I kid, I kid. Don't worry. The raga albums are super easy listens as long as you're in the mood, but all of those Vietnamese recs could be hit-or-miss depending on personal tastes. Nguyên Vinh Bao and Khanh Ly can be a bit grating, wasn't sure I'd tack them on there at all, and the first three are all at least a little experimental. At the end of the day, despite their populations, neither area is particularly 'strong' when it comes to music. Hoping you like the recs from the Canada chart too. I'll probably give it a quick update some point soon.

And yeah, nationality gets tricky when borders change/countries appear/countries dissolve. I'm not positive, but I think Khan even had American citizenship too. Sachin Dev Burman is another big Bengali name in music with that distinction. Ideally, they should count as both nationalities. Imagine if your State all of a sudden became its own country. Hoping AM is still working on that dual-flag update.

Anyway, that's what the site is all about. Hope you like at least two or three of them. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2023 02:48
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Music resolutions for 2022:

1. To run the 2021 album tournament successfully.
2. To repeat the February Black History Month and March Women's History Month listening projects.
3. To play the canon game all year again.
4. To get at least one of my (non-year) charts to a state that feels 'finished.'

Looks like I completed 1.5 of these, depending on how you score the canon game given that it's been mostly dormant since July... anyone want to jump back into that? I abandoned resolutions 1 &4.

Musically, 2022 sharply diverged from the norm for me. Unfortunately, the amount of time I devoted to music (and albums in particular) in past years no longer seems to be sustainable, at least for the near future. In 2022, I listened to less music, more of it was radio (traditional and streaming) and shuffles, more of the albums I heard were selected by others (mostly my partner), fewer of the albums I heard were new to me, and I was less regular about cataloguing my listening and building charts. This past year I listened to fewer new-to-me albums than in any year since 2013, and my 2022 chart hasn't even hit 50 albums yet. That's not to say the year's new releases didn't interest me - I've really loved many of the albums I've made time for, and have over 100 2022 albums left on my to-do list (most of which I probably won't get to).

One contributing factor to these shifts is that I discovered a really good oldies radio station near me, which has been such an easy and consistently great thing to put on while driving, instead of battling other noise to absorb and form an opinion on an album. Another is that I experienced a long period of time where I wasn't interested in listening to music and used that time to play games instead. This year I also started to feel much less driven to listen comprehensively or methodically, and more driven to listen to whatever makes me happy or relaxed in the moment. Finally, as someone who was a big fan of the musical output of the man formerly known as Kanye West, becoming aware of his Nazism hit me hard. I now feel no interest in listening to his work again, and at the same time felt moved to exile a bunch of other discographies from my collection, like those of Mark Kozelek and Arcade Fire.

On the other side of the coin, in 2022 I went to some great concerts (The Roots, Alvvays & Rina Sawayama), after I hadn't gone to any since February 2020. I also finally replaced the needle on my turntable and started buying cheap vinyl semi-regularly. I don't have the proper conditions for storage, so I figure it's not worth spending more than $5.

So where does this leave me for 2023? I'd like to accept that I'm moving into a more laidback stage of music hobbyism, whether for the short or long term. I'm not going to complete an extensive review of new music every year, and that's okay. I'd like to go to at least four concerts. And I'd like to keep posting here semi-regularly (album below you games especially, *cough*) and work on my lists/charts when I feel moved.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2023 03:41
  • Post subject:
My 2022 New Year's Music Resolution was to finally organize my MP3 collection, and I got it done! Everything is properly tagged with cover art and a consistent folder structure and everything (though I still get dates wrong, of course).

So my 2023 New Year's Music Resolution is to try and figure out why I bothered.

I'm not hopeful...
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2023 03:57
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
My 2022 New Year's Music Resolution was to finally organize my MP3 collection, and I got it done! Everything is properly tagged with cover art and a consistent folder structure and everything (though I still get dates wrong, of course).

So my 2023 New Year's Music Resolution is to try and figure out why I bothered.

I'm not hopeful...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 01/09/2023 09:01
  • Post subject:
My new year's music resolution for 2023 is to listen to:

- All my saved albums on BEA ✓
- RYM's top Psychedelia albums that are Christian ✓
- RYM's top Punk albums that are Christian ✓
- RYM's top 20 Neoclassical New Age Albums ✓
- All albums that Piero Scaruffi has rated an 8 throughout history from the 60s to the 00s (7.5 as well as 7 too in those discographies where it's included) - those I haven't heard. I have compiled a list of maybe 400 albums, right now I am down 5-10.
- Focus on writing, composing and recording my next record and market it better.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/11/2023 11:39
  • Post subject:
I’m honestly a bit bored of albums at the moment..maybe I’m becoming more millennial in my middle age d'oh! I still like discovering music so I think I will try to explore playlists and radio shows a bit more this year. I got into listening to some podcasts last year ( not music related) so more of that too. Might start some threads on all the above so we can share and share alike.

I guess I will finish up comments on my overall chart as well. They are basically done but probably need a bit more finessing to be properly readable from top to bottom.