Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 06/05/2018 18:43
  • Post subject:
Hey, what would you say the instrumentals on Soft Machine's Third are trying to express? And, is the album tainted by Moon In June being unrelated?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/09/2018 00:44
  • Post subject:
DelBocaVista wrote:
Hey, what would you say the instrumentals on Soft Machine's Third are trying to express? And, is the album tainted by Moon In June being unrelated?

Nah, I don't think it's tainted at all. Though the other tracks are quite good, Moon in June, above all else, is what elevates it to 8.8/10+. And it's not particularly incongruous anyway, imo.

Let me revisit it before I go into specifics of its emotional/conceptual content. Just too many Classical works impressed upon my mind right now to really think with it.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/17/2018 14:40
  • Post subject:
The Velvet Underground live album is the original vinyl version, or the CD with two bonus tracks (a shorter version of Heroin and I Can't Stand It)?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/18/2018 19:14
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
The Velvet Underground live album is the original vinyl version, or the CD with two bonus tracks (a shorter version of Heroin and I Can't Stand It)?

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Velvet-Undergrou...&qid=1
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/19/2018 15:33
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
This one: https://www.amazon.com/Velvet-Undergrou...&qid=1

Ah yes, that's the original vinyl version. I was asking because the CD version has two more tracks, which might affect your rating, or maybe not.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/19/2018 19:11
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
Ah yes, that's the original vinyl version. I was asking because the CD version has two more tracks, which might affect your rating, or maybe not.

Ok cool, I will check if I've heard that one. I've been listening to the VU for about 20 years, so it's probable I have -- even though I wasn't really aware there were separate versions particularly. I don't generally count "bonus tracks" unless perhaps if the artist intended them as an updated and actual version of the album itself.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/20/2018 11:49
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Ok cool, I will check if I've heard that one. I've been listening to the VU for about 20 years, so it's probable I have -- even though I wasn't really aware there were separate versions particularly. I don't generally count "bonus tracks" unless perhaps if the artist intended them as an updated and actual version of the album itself.

Well the album itself is not really a product put together by the band, as far as I know. You might want to check out The Complete Matrix Tapes by the way. It's a much more complete record (as implied by the name), with all four sets the band played at the club, most of which ended up on the Live 1969 album (according to Wikipedia, only four of the songs on the Live 1969 album are not Matrix recordings).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/21/2018 00:43
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
Well the album itself is not really a product put together by the band, as far as I know. You might want to check out The Complete Matrix Tapes by the way. It's a much more complete record (as implied by the name), with all four sets the band played at the club, most of which ended up on the Live 1969 album (according to Wikipedia, only four of the songs on the Live 1969 album are not Matrix recordings).

Thank you, sounds badass Cool
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 07/10/2018 21:37
  • Post subject:
Purely out of curiosity, is there any indication of a rating /10 for Scaruffi's Jazz selections?

As a rule of thumb, would it be safe to say that if it appears on his "best of the decade" then it's 8+, on up to 9.5 for the highest selections, Black Saint and A Love Supreme etc.?

Also, what's the rationale behind his main Jazz list of 163 records? It doesn't seem to have any correspondence to his decade lists (as he himself notes), just wondering what its purpose is.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 07/10/2018 22:53
  • Post subject:
I wouldn't use Scaruffi for jazz recommendations. One reason being this quote

Scaruffi wrote:
Live albums are usually... bad albums. The improvised format rarely yields good music. A studio album has been made (hopefully) by selecting the best takes of a piece. The odds that a live version is as good as a studio version are rather slim. Which is exactly what I keep finding in live albums: bad versions of studio cuts.

I hope you can understand that a critical approach to jazz with this mentality is one built on sand because of the necessity of improvisation and performance to jazz. Forget having a set definition of jazz, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one - from literally any decent critic and any "jazz" musician - that doesn't include something about improvisation and performance. Absurd.

The other reason being that, though many of the albums he lists are good to great, it's the same 60s/70s-biased inside/outside to free/~~spiritual~~~ selections that you get literally any where else on the internet. His taste is just barely not generic. I believe he thinks jazz pretty much stopped happening towards the end of the '70s outside of a few musicians like Melford, Perelman, Gregorio, Shipp, and Bloom (did I hit literally every single one he's mentioned post-'80), and I believe he thinks many musicians that he praises for their 60s/70s output just stopped making music past 1980. Allmusic is a more helpful resource for working through the music and musicians up to the mid-'00s; freejazzblog is your best bet in the '10s. RYM is also usually trash. Just follow all your favorite musicians on facebook (even the dead ones) and you'll learn more about them and their music than you would from a critic