Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/14/2017 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2238): Magical Mystery Tour
Today's album of the day

Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1967.
Overall rank: 80
Average rating: 85/100 (from 1506 votes).

Tracks:
1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. The Fool On The Hill
3. Flying
4. Blue Jay Way
5. Your Mother Should Know
6. I Am The Walrus
7. Hello Goodbye
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Penny Lane
10. Baby You're A Rich Man
11. All You Need Is Love

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2017 03:51
  • Post subject:
Terribly underrated in my book. I mean for a beatles album that is. Somehow this concept of one side is a bunch of singles and the other side is a bunch of b sides makes people think it is subpar, but I think both sides has some of their best work.

I actually like that it's a sister album to Sgt. Pepper's. Probably would've been terrible as a double album though.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 01/15/2017 06:02
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Terribly underrated in my book. I mean for a beatles album that is. Somehow this concept of one side is a bunch of singles and the other side is a bunch of b sides makes people think it is subpar, but I think both sides has some of their best work.

I actually like that it's a sister album to Sgt. Pepper's. Probably would've been terrible as a double album though.

Need anyone say more? Applause

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/15/2017 08:19
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Somehow this concept of one side is a bunch of singles and the other side is a bunch of b sides makes people think it is subpar, but I think both sides has some of their best work

Not true of course, as the 6 tracks from Side One were from the Magical Mystery Tour EP (which originally came out on 2x7" - essentially the film soundtrack) and the rest (bar ...Rich Man) were all singles/Double-A sides.

I wouldn't consider it as a 'sister album' to Pepper in the slightest, although interestingly both Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were originally written for Pepper's original concept (an album about the Beatles' childhood) but culled from that when EMI demanded a single. Nevertheless, whilst SPLHCB is a defined artistic statement with a deliberate track order, MMT is more akin to a compilation to present the film's soundtrack as well as a convenient place to stick some of their most-loved tracks on an LP for more L,s and d (or should that be $$$, as it never got a British release until after the band had split). Not saying it's bad, but as an LP the sequencing doesn't hang together, regardless of what you think of the material.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/15/2017 12:04
  • Post subject:
By far the most underrated Beatles record. Not in any way inferior to the their best albums.
Strawberry Fields and I Am The Wallrus are psychedelic masterpieces and Penny Lane is pure pop perfection.

If Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane did finish on Stg Pepper it would without a doubt be the best album of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
albumceleste

• Posted: 01/15/2017 13:43
  • Post subject:
It's not an original album as @Jimmy Dread said. It's a compilation for the USA just like Yesterday and today and other US albums.
Ok the songs are all brillant and from the same era so it works fine. But the band never intended those tracks as an album.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/15/2017 14:15
  • Post subject:
albumceleste wrote:
It's not an original album as @Jimmy Dread said. It's a compilation for the USA just like Yesterday and today and other US albums.
Ok the songs are all brillant and from the same era so it works fine. But the band never intended those tracks as an album.

I know, but does it matter? If I can tolerate Radiohead putting a song from 1995 on a 2016 album (and some other songs have been played live from 2012 onwards), than I can really consider this an album since all the songs were written in a couple of months.
  • Visit poster's website
scoops

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2017 17:00
  • Post subject:
For what is not a commonly talked about album, this has a high number of Beatles songs that are in the public consciousness.
  • Visit poster's website
Perring

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/15/2017 18:41
  • Post subject:
This did use to be my favourite Beatles album but it's grown off me and I'd put that down to how the tracks flow from one another. I just don't ever feel the desire to listen to it start to finish anymore.

It's a shame because on paper this has more classic singles in the tracklist than almost any other Beatles work.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2017 21:01
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Not true of course, as the 6 tracks from Side One were from the Magical Mystery Tour EP (which originally came out on 2x7" - essentially the film soundtrack) and the rest (bar ...Rich Man) were all singles/Double-A sides.

I wouldn't consider it as a 'sister album' to Pepper in the slightest, although interestingly both Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were originally written for Pepper's original concept (an album about the Beatles' childhood) but culled from that when EMI demanded a single. Nevertheless, whilst SPLHCB is a defined artistic statement with a deliberate track order, MMT is more akin to a compilation to present the film's soundtrack as well as a convenient place to stick some of their most-loved tracks on an LP for more L,s and d (or should that be $$$, as it never got a British release until after the band had split). Not saying it's bad, but as an LP the sequencing doesn't hang together, regardless of what you think of the material.

I suppose the release depends on which side of the pond you live on and I also shouldn't perpetuate opinions I've heard on BEA without looking it up myself... just an opinion I've heard over and over, and said that part didn't matter to me.

As for the sister album part, I made that claim because it partially perpetuated this idea of a film/album going on tour for the band instead of actually going on tour, coupled with it being written around the same time, and released just 5 months after Sgt. Peppers, some claim that songs on it could have been on Sgt. Peppers...in my book=sister album. But I don't claim to know anything about sister album or The Beatles.
  • Visit poster's website