"You're the only one who really knew me at all"

- Phil Collins

Tonally Lonely

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Komorebi-D

Australia

#1 | Posted: 01/18/2017 07:09 | Post subject: Tonally Lonely Reply with quote
Introduction:

Hi, I guess. If someone ever reads this, thanks I suppose...

I don't think I need to explain the process involved, saves time in getting to the album talk. I'll give an explanation regarding my name though (In case you were wondering and of course, providing that if you're actually there). Komorebi is the kanji representation of a Japanese word meaning sunlight filtered through leaves, for which there is no one-word English equivalent. The D however, is just the first letter of my name (if you're reading this, you may already have guessed that). I think that covers the pleasantries...

Yours, D.

2019: The Special (Not So) Few [RYM]

Last edited by Komorebi-D on 01/19/2017 06:03; edited 1 time in total
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Komorebi-D

Australia

#2 | Posted: 01/18/2017 07:10 | Post subject: Reply with quote
So recently I've been compiling my 10 favourite records from each year of the '70s, consecutively. I'm currently up to '78. Until today Wire, Brian Eno ("Ambient 1..." not "Music for Films"), Elvis Costello & Talking Heads occupied the top 4 spots. Now enters:

Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.

Germ Free Adolescents by X-Ray Spex

From the opening track I was completely engrossed, what a record! Now I feel like the obvious comparison needs to be gotten out of the way... yes, Sleater-Kinney. It's a similar feeling I had on first listen of Elvis Costello's This Year's Model (still at #3 for the year of release) when constantly drawing connections to his sound and Spoon's (on records like A Series of Sneaks & Ga, Ga, Ga). I'd like to make it a known fact that I love Sleater-Kinney's discography (especially the albums: Dig Me Out, All Hands on the Bad One & The Woods), they are quintessential feminist punk (or just the "punk" genre in general). However, I'm willing to bet all I have that Sleater's sound and approach to lyricism was not without this record making a lasting impression.

Ok so, comparsion out of the way, let's discuss the album itself. That initial appeal of this album was definitely not lost by the end, I can't find a weak track - let alone a favourite. All the way through each track is carried out with the ferocity as the last, if not in musicality then in lyricism or delivery. For its 45+ minute run time, I felt this achieved what its modern counterparts couldn't... assimilation. Now don't get me wrong, its just that if you compare the styling of Riot Grrrl to what the male punk equivalent was doing at the time, you might notice an intrinsic separation in the delivery. It feels venomous and purposeful, that's what - most likely - draws me to style. X-Ray Spex proves that they can doubtlessly do both and are worth of being a part of the pantheon of the punk movement of the time. With more renowned acts like Sex Pistols, Ramones & so on.

In my mind - just like Sleater-Kinney's Dig Me Out & the other 4 LPs mentioned for 1978 - "Germ Free Adolescents" truly engenders a 10. It's a shame though that it had to knock out "More Songs About Buildings and Food" for #4, its an album I just love to love (along with the other of Talking Heads' first 4 records).

I highly recommend this. Yours, D.

Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Komorebi-D

Australia

#3 | Posted: 01/19/2017 05:07 | Post subject: Reply with quote
I have nothing better to do atm. So I decided to throw together my favourite 5 records for each individual year of the decade so far (in complete honesty too). Here goes nothing, I guess:

#2010:
#5 - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West
#4 - The Wild Hunt by The Tallest Man on Earth
#3 - Teen Dream by Beach House
#2 - High Violet by The National
#1 - The Suburbs by Arcade Fire

2011:
#5 - SMILE by Beach Boys (technically its a reissue but I'll let it slide)
#4 - Days by Real Estate
#3 - Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest
#2 - My Head Is An Animal by Of Monster & Men
#1 - Mylo Xyloto by Coldplay
(Yeah I know about the last two, it's personal but they can invalidate me + honourable mentions to Fleet Foxes & Bon Iver)

2012:
#5 - 2 by Mac Demarco
#4 - Fear Fun by Father John Misty
#3 - The Seer by Swans
#2 - Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City by Kendrick Lamar
#1 - Bloom by Beach House
(Very honourable mentions to Death Grips & Godspeed You!)

2013:
#5 - MBV by My Bloody Valentine
#4 - Monomania by Deerhunter
#3 - Reflektor by Arcade Fire
#2 - Trouble Will Find Me by The National
#1 - Walkin' On a Pretty Daze by Kurt Vile
(Honourable mentions to Kanye West & Foxygen)

2014:
#5 - They Want My Soul by Spoon
#4 - Salad Days by Mac Demarco
#3 - Lost In The Dream by The War on Drugs
#2 - To Be Kind by Swans
#1 - Atlas by Real Estate
(Very honourable mentions to Sun Kil Moon & Run The Jewels)

2015:
#5 - Depression Cherry by Beach House
#4 - The Epic by Kamasi Washington (can I get a Hallelujah on this one?!)
#3 - Sometimes I Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Sit by Courtney Barnett
#2 - Carrie & Lowell by Sufjan Stevens
#1 - I Love You, Honeybear by Father John Misty
(A very, very honourable mention to Kendrick Lamar, for obvious reasons)

2016:
#5 - A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead
#4 - 22, a Million by Bon Iver
#3 - My Woman by Angel Olsen
#2 - Coloring Book (3) by Chance The Rapper
#1 - Teens of Denial by Car Seat Headrest
(Very honourable mention to Kevin Morby, that record was some surreal beauty Applause)

If anyone actually reads this; feel free to eviscerate me. Yours, D.

Last edited by Komorebi-D on 02/25/2017 06:57; edited 2 times in total

AfterHours

#4 | Posted: 01/19/2017 08:12 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you heard TV on the Radio's Return to Cookie Mountain yet? That's an album Id definitely recommend based on what I can make of your tastes so far.

Also, have you heard peak-Swans albums? If not, Children of God is astonishing.
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Komorebi-D

Australia

#5 | Posted: 01/19/2017 08:45 | Post subject: Reply with quote
AfterHours wrote:
Have you heard TV on the Radio's Return to Cookie Mountain yet? That's an album Id definitely recommend based on what I can make of your tastes so far.

Heard both. Love both.

Anything by Swans is generally phenomenal. And I love Return to Cookie Mountain equally as much as Dear Science, 2000's highlights.

Thanks so much for reading this.

Tap
to resume download

United States

#6 | Posted: 01/19/2017 09:49 | Post subject: Reply with quote
so when you say complete honesty and that the last two on 2011 are personal, what sort of relationship do you have with them now? like I remember being 5 years removed from something that was a prime album in high school like Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica and not being the same person I was when I absolutely loved it but still valuing the time I spent with it, but going back to it would never feel the same, the moment for it had passed, still a good experience but never able to get back at that prime level. I think if that sorta thing is your position with the music, it's totally fair to throw that on the top of a list like this still because that time where you loved it was still important. But maybe your relationship with them is different?

oh if you're taking recommendations, I would suggest Micachu and the Shapes - Never from 2013 2012.

edit: said wrong year, I was close tho

Last edited by Tap on 01/19/2017 10:46; edited 1 time in total

Komorebi-D

Australia

#7 | Posted: 01/19/2017 10:32 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Tap wrote:
so when you say complete honesty and that the last two on 2011 are personal, what sort of relationship do you have with them now? like I remember being 5 years removed from something that was a prime album in high school like Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica and not being the same person I was when I absolutely loved it but still valuing the time I spent with it, but going back to it would never feel the same, the moment for it had passed, still a good experience but never able to get back at that prime level. I think if that sorta thing is your position with the music, it's totally fair to throw that on the top of a list like this still because that time where you loved it was still important. But maybe your relationship with them is different?

oh if you're taking recommendations, I would suggest Micachu and the Shapes - Never from 2013.

First off, thank you the rec will get to it tomorrow. And Second, my relationship with the records from 2011 is high-school based, I used to spend a lot of time alone and walking around listening to them. So I'm still a teen and they still apply to me but I could see that particular list changing in a few years, like you're saying. Third, if I was doing one for 2000, M&A would be #1, KID A just behind.

AfterHours

#8 | Posted: 01/20/2017 05:16 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Komorebi-D wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Heard both. Love both.

Anything by Swans is generally phenomenal. And I love Return to Cookie Mountain equally as much as Dear Science, 2000's highlights.

Thanks so much for reading this.

Right on, if you post, say, your top 50 favorite albums (or similar such list), I'll send some more recommendations your way!

Komorebi-D

Australia

#9 | Posted: 01/20/2017 06:30 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright... I've seen others do this on their diaries, so I elected to do it on my own. I'm going to to be a track-by-track reviews of two albums released today (20/01/17). My rating system goes up in .25s. These are some of the first albums I'll be listening that see a release from this year (outside of "Pink Season" & The xx), so if all goes well I'll be doing more of these as the year goes on and more albums come out:

1st:

"Apocalipstick" by Cherry Glazerr:

Track #1: "Told You I'd Be With The Guys" - 8.5/100 (Great start, seems like the mission statement of the album.)
Track #2: "Trash People" - 8/10
Track #3: "Moon Dust" - 8.25/10 (Love the delivery. Grabbing bass & guitar lines.)
Track #4: "Humble Pro" - 8.75/10 (Another great delivery. Fluent & fast.)
Track #5: "Nuclear Bomb" - 9/10 (Slower but leads into a gripping chorus. Intriguing imagery.)
Track #6: "Only Kid on the Block" - 8.75/10 (Alike to last but I don't even mind Smile .)
Track #7: "Lucid Dreams" - 8/10
Track #8: "Sip O' Poison" - 8/10 (Things are getting angrier.)
Track #9: "Nurse Ratched" - 8.75/10 (Already loved this as a single.)
Track #10: "Instagrafication" - 8.5/10 (Lyrically, this is probably the strongest track on the album. Organs are cool.)
Track #11: "Apocalipstick" - 8.25/10 (Sustained instrumental, nice way to end the album"

Overall: I feel like this is more focused & accessible project than 2014's Haxel Princess. More driven conceptually, lyrically and instrumentally which just makes this effort a much more cohesive improvement (Not to mention, how much I love that cover art Wink ). First-listen score: 8.5/10.

2nd:

Hang by Foxygen

Track #1: "Follow The Leader" - 7.25/10 (Nice start. More 70s pop style than usual.)
Track #2: "Avalon" - 6.75/10
Track #3: "Mrs. Adams" - 7/10 (Sounds reminiscent to "Station To Station" - era Bowie.)
Track #4: "America" - 7/10 (More of an orchestral streak from them. Piano parts sound so Wes Anderson.)
Track #5: "On Lakershim" - 6.75/10 (Starts Folk-y than evolves into something like the opener.)
Track #6: "Upon on a Hill" - 6.5/10
Track #7: "Trauma" - 7.25/10 (Beginning sounds like a theater ballad then it turns into something like Floyd or Zeppelin.)
Track #8: "Rise Up" - 7.5/10 (My favourite song on the tracklist. A high to end on.)

Overall: I'll be honest, I kind of struggled to get through "...And Star Power" because of the excess of filler tracks it dragged itself on with. It was a shame since I loved the album that came before it so much. Even though "Hang" seems to be following in a similar direction in terms of sound, I feel like it is more realized on here than its predecessor. It definitely benefits from having a shorter run-time too. The influences Foxygen are exploiting on here are as prominent as ever, though in comparison to a record like "We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic", Foxygen's individual voice seems a little lost. First-listen score: 7/10.

Out of the two, I think "Apocalipstick" is a definite winner and justifies a vinyl purchase.

Last edited by Komorebi-D on 01/20/2017 06:35; edited 1 time in total

Komorebi-D

Australia

#10 | Posted: 01/20/2017 06:32 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Right on, if you post, say, your top 50 favorite albums (or similar such list), I'll send some more recommendations your way!

Haha I don't think I have it in me to work that out! Wink

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Page 1 of 94
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music Diaries

Jump to: