Album Discussion Party Redux

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 05/08/2017 19:34
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
If anyone wants to slide into this week, they're welcome to.

Also, this could be a productive time to strike up some more discussion about The Rite of Spring, myself included.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 05/17/2017 21:46
  • Post subject:
@seth

No idea when I'll be able to host an ADP so it's entirely open to anyone else interested. I would like to do one sooner or later, just not sure when. I think the whole concept is a great idea and I'm glad you came up with it.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2017 23:17
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
@seth

No idea when I'll be able to host an ADP so it's entirely open to anyone else interested. I would like to do one sooner or later, just not sure when. I think the whole concept is a great idea and I'm glad you came up with it.

Ok cool - thanks for the update!
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2017 15:20
  • Post subject:
It's time somebody did an ADP again. AfterHours, we never heard from you. Come on dude, I enjoy reading your insight. If not, I might do one soon.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2017 22:33
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
It's time somebody did an ADP again. AfterHours, we never heard from you. Come on dude, I enjoy reading your insight. If not, I might do one soon.

AfterHours wrote:
Thank you, I like your insights too, and many others on this site. I would like to do one and when I find the time I will probably do so. I've only been able to show up on BEA for very short increments, just quick updates and usually having to limit my posts/replies content (unless I put them together over multiple occasions, which maybe I'll do to put an ADP together).

I hear ya. Been busy as hell myself the past couple months. When I said somebody should do an ADP again, Jimmy Dread provoked me to do one. So guess what? BEA's first ADP in nearly two months is going up tonight, or tomorrow morning for BEAers in Europe. I already have it written out. I'll post it around 10PM Pacific. AfterHours, I hope you find time to do one soon.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 01:31
  • Post subject:
So how does this work? Can I just do something whenever?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 03:22
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
So how does this work? Can I just do something whenever?

Sure - I mean the idea in the past was to wait a week so people can create good dialogue, but at this point, I'm just happy you want to do one. (and it's not like I actually manage this - it's more like I wanted to start something to have actual dialogue specifically about an album).

Go ahead and post something and I'll add it to the first post showing all the other ADP's.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/20/2017 15:25
  • Post subject:
This looks like a great idea, sorry I missed these discussions earlier in the year. I'd be really interested if this or the album listening club got up and running consistently again. I suppose its a matter of folks time and interest though.

I did have a thought about a twist on the format to kick start things again. Maybe instead of picking an album to discuss based purely on our own interests, we could pick an album that we are interested in hearing, which we have recently discovered because we saw it on another user's chart (maybe even because it was a number one choice that caught our attention).

This could encourage a bit more open mindedness in selections (avoiding our own interests that may be a bit too singular to appeal to a large number of others). It might then be a way of generating interest from a greater number of users. Personally, I could think of a handful of albums already on other people's charts that I'd be keen to explore and get to know better, just from picking out some quirky or interesting number 1 choices I've seen. This could potentially be a way of making the process of discovery more fun and also a more collective experience.

We would need to make sure that the discussion remains on the topic of the nominated album and doesn't drift into discussion of the tastes of the user who has this album on his or her charts, which would be unfair on this user and could just turn the discussion into an unwanted popularity contest.

Anyway, just a thought. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this? If there is some enthusiasm for this I'd be keen to give it a go, either as part of the Album Discussion Party thread, or a new thread if people would prefer this to be something different? Think
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/20/2017 16:23
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
This looks like a great idea, sorry I missed these discussions earlier in the year. I'd be really interested if this or the album listening club got up and running consistently again. I suppose its a matter of folks time and interest though.

I did have a thought about a twist on the format to kick start things again. Maybe instead of picking an album to discuss based purely on our own interests, we could pick an album that we are interested in hearing, which we have recently discovered because we saw it on another user's chart (maybe even because it was a number one choice that caught our attention).

This could encourage a bit more open mindedness in selections (avoiding our own interests that may be a bit too singular to appeal to a large number of others). It might then be a way of generating interest from a greater number of users. Personally, I could think of a handful of albums already on other people's charts that I'd be keen to explore and get to know better, just from picking out some quirky or interesting number 1 choices I've seen. This could potentially be a way of making the process of discovery more fun and also a more collective experience.

We would need to make sure that the discussion remains on the topic of the nominated album and doesn't drift into discussion of the tastes of the user who has this album on his or her charts, which would be unfair on this user and could just turn the discussion into an unwanted popularity contest.

Anyway, just a thought. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this? If there is some enthusiasm for this I'd be keen to give it a go, either as part of the Album Discussion Party thread, or a new thread if people would prefer this to be something different? Think

Just realised that this is a pretty similar idea to Listmeister's discovering new bands diary- sorry didn't realise that before but should acknowledge it, I'm sure this influenced me subconsciously! The difference is this would probably be a forum rather than a diary and we would take turns to introduce our new BEA discoveries.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2017 16:37
  • Post subject:
@Michael1981

Start a new ADP thread whenever you want. It'd be great to hear from ya.
  • Visit poster's website