Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2018 11:01
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

I've also listened to:

Free-For-All by Michael Penn
His March album is one of my all-time favorite albums and one of the most underrated ones on this site (it's not even in the top 10000) but this album (which is ranked much higher) is of much less quality than March: he's doing so much his best that the songwriting seems a bit forced.
I'm still gonna put it in my top chart of 1992 though because the voice of this guy on itself is sufficient to make me melt.

I like this. Reminds me a bit of Matthew Sweet. Especially the vocals. Here's my one-liner...

Singer-songwriter troubadour with a smidge of power pop hits a college rock bar.

Packing up for home. We had rain all week. Confused
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 18:45
  • Post subject:
'92:4 The Old Guard Strikes Back - Maiden Vs. Sabbath!!!

Fear Of The Dark by Iron Maiden

vs.

Dehumanizer by Black Sabbath

Metal was (supposedly) dead in 1992. Death by Nirvana (they declared)! Of course, that was bullshit. The metal scene may not have been radio friendly unit shifters anymore, but with bands as varied & awesome as Kyuss, Darkthrone & Dream Theater releasing three of the most important albums of the year, metal was clearly doing just fine, thank you very much. What's interesting to me is that even traditional metal bands such as Sabbath & Maiden were ripping it up this year and acquitting themselves in fine fashion. Despite being a massive Sabbath & Maiden fan in the 80s, I totally wrote both of these bands off by the time 1992 rolled around. Well it looks like I have some crow to eat because both of these albums are quite good and will almost certainly be making my all important list. I still can't figure out which one I like better so I'm going to have a little battle over the next couple of days here at Repo Records. Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts about these two underappreciatatted gems!
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/02/2018 20:29
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

vs.

Metal was (supposedly) dead in 1992. Death by Nirvana (they declared)! Of course, that was bullshit. The metal scene may not have been radio friendly unit shifters anymore, but with bands as varied & awesome as Kyuss, Darkthrone & Dream Theater releasing three of the most important albums of the year, metal was clearly doing just fine, thank you very much. What's interesting to me is that even traditional metal bands such as Sabbath & Maiden were ripping it up this year and acquitting themselves in fine fashion. Despite being a massive Sabbath & Maiden fan in the 80s, I totally wrote both of these bands off by the time 1992 rolled around. Well it looks like I have some crow to eat because both of these albums are quite good and will almost certainly be making my all important list. I still can't figure out which one I like better so I'm going to have a little battle over the next couple of days here at Repo Records. Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts about these two underappreciatatted gems!

To be able to give my opinion I first had to listen to Dehumanizer which, as I suppose many people, I had never listened to; plus after reading the Allmusic review my hopes were not very high.
But the album surprised me in a good way, although it's maybe a bit too much focused on Dio to be called a classic Black Sabbath album.
But Dio is adding a powerful tone to the album and together with the still great interplay between Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, they succeed to make this one of the better latter day Sabbath albums.

BUT, Fear Of The Dark is one of my favorite Iron Maiden albums (although only listened fully only recently and only ranked seventh in my Maiden list but then again I'm a big fan of theirs) so it's difficult to win from this one so for me again a no-brainer.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/03/2018 19:17
  • Post subject:
I've listened to two more 1992 albums:

Red Heaven by Throwing Muses
Just good old Throwing Muses (without Tanya Donelly but that's alright: we got Belly instead) with Kristin Hersch at her best

and

Everything's Alright Forever by The Boo Radleys
This album walks a bit on two legs: first they're steeped completely in contemporary shoegaze with fuzz guitars and everything and this is in fact the more boring side of this album. Room At The Top is the best example of this: the fuzz guitar is ruling so much it even becomes unbearable to listen to it. The next track Does It Hurt? and also Smile Fades Fast are also very shoegazy but here they manage better to stick to a good tune.
But where they really rule on this album is where they trade in their fuzzguitar for a more regular guitar sound but with still a very distinctive sound. The way that guitar rocks in especially the shorter tracks like Towards The Light and Lazy Day is incredibly to the point.

In short: two album for my 1992 top chart.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2018 13:35
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:

vs.

To be able to give my opinion I first had to listen to Dehumanizer which, as I suppose many people, I had never listened to; plus after reading the Allmusic review my hopes were not very high.
But the album surprised me in a good way, although it's maybe a bit too much focused on Dio to be called a classic Black Sabbath album.
But Dio is adding a powerful tone to the album and together with the still great interplay between Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, they succeed to make this one of the better latter day Sabbath albums.

BUT, Fear Of The Dark is one of my favorite Iron Maiden albums (although only listened fully only recently and only ranked seventh in my Maiden list but then again I'm a big fan of theirs) so it's difficult to win from this one so for me again a no-brainer.

It's still a dead heat over here in Repo World. I'm confused by your bolded statement above though considering Black Sabbath had two classic lineups - The Ozzy Years & The Dio years. Heaven & Hell & The Mob Rules are both (RIGHTLY) considered classic Metal albums from the late 70s. What's your thoughts on those? Do u consider them to be more Dio albums than Sabbath albums (as some do)?
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/04/2018 18:23
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:

vs.

It's still a dead heat over here in Repo World. I'm confused by your bolded statement above though considering Black Sabbath had two classic lineups - The Ozzy Years & The Dio years. Heaven & Hell & The Mob Rules are both (RIGHTLY) considered classic Metal albums from the late 70s. What's your thoughts on those? Do u consider them to be more Dio albums than Sabbath albums (as some do)?

I'm indeed inclined to consider the Ozzy years as the classic Sabbath period. At that time they had that specific Sabbath sound created as a band and where every band member had a unique position in creating that unique (wall of) sound. Of course the last albums of the Ozzy period were not so good anymore so it was clear that new blood was needed to revive the band so enter Ronnie James Dio.
I'm also a big fan of Rainbow so I like Dio (and of course also Ritchie Blackmore) but I have indeed the impression that he just prolongued what he did in Rainbow just with a different band and a band which was not so much different from other bands from around that time (including what he did in his own band Dio after the Sabbath period). Although Iommi soloed in a great way on Heaven and Hell the original sound of Black Sabbath was gone and they just became another (but still very good as was confirmed by my positive review of Dehumanizer) heavy metal band.
(sorry for the heavy use of the word band Wink ).
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2018 01:47
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:
'92 :4 The Old Guard Strikes Back - Maiden Vs. Sabbath!!!

vs.

I'm indeed inclined to consider the Ozzy years as the classic Sabbath period. At that time they had that specific Sabbath sound created as a band and where every band member had a unique position in creating that unique (wall of) sound. Of course the last albums of the Ozzy period were not so good anymore so it was clear that new blood was needed to revive the band so enter Ronnie James Dio.
I'm also a big fan of Rainbow so I like Dio (and of course also Ritchie Blackmore) but I have indeed the impression that he just prolongued what he did in Rainbow just with a different band and a band which was not so much different from other bands from around that time (including what he did in his own band Dio after the Sabbath period). Although Iommi soloed in a great way on Heaven and Hell the original sound of Black Sabbath was gone and they just became another (but still very good as was confirmed by my positive review of Dehumanizer) heavy metal band.
(sorry for the heavy use of the word band Wink ).

Yeah. You're not alone in that opinion, but obvs I feel differently. There was nothing else quite like Mob Rules & Heaven & Hell. Still isn't. But those were two of the first albums I owned. And Dehumanizer and Heaven & Hell's The Devil You Know also r totally Sabbath albums (to me). I like Rainbow, but they could never touch Sabbath. Love Dio's Holy Diver & The Last In Line -, but again to me they sound nothing like those Sabbath albums. Just like Ozzy's solo albums sounded nothing like Sabbath either.

btw, I love ...

Technical Ecstasy by Black Sabbath

Which is very much Sabbath's take on 70s hard Rock. Yet it's still very much Sabbath.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2018 12:30
  • Post subject:
'86:1 Forced Intervention

Guitar Town by Steve Earle

vs.

Lyle Lovett by Lyle Lovett

Country had gotten downright hokey. Fallen on the "hard times" that had become such a cliche in their songs. Yup. It was lightweight fluff. The mid 80s is were things really started changing. Where country became respectable again and even the punks started listening & (more importantly) stealing to eventually create alt country as we know it.

The two biggest reasons for the sea change were Lyle Lovett and Steve Earle who forced their way into Nashville, hit their bars & stole their girls. Both released stunning, fully formed debuts back in 1986. I think Lyle's is a bit better, but I'd be damned if I don't have both these in my collection and high up on my '86 chart. Essential stuff especially for those who want to get into country & are looking for a place to start.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2018 00:51
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
'86:1 Forced Intervention

vs.

Lyle Lovett by Lyle Lovett

Country had gotten downright hokey. Fallen on the "hard times" that had become such a cliche in their songs. Yup. It was lightweight fluff. The mid 80s is were things really started changing. Where country became respectable again and even the punks started listening & (more importantly) stealing to eventually create alt country as we know it.

The two biggest reasons for the sea change were Lyle Lovett and Steve Earle who forced their way into Nashville, hit their bars & stole their girls. Both released stunning, fully formed debuts back in 1986. I think Lyle's is a bit better, but I'd be damned if I don't have both these in my collection and high up on my '86 chart. Essential stuff especially for those who want to get into country & are looking for a place to start.

When I was real young I bought Guitar Town from one of those record clubs they used to have where you get albums in the mail. At the time I probably didn't think of it as country music, but I loved it. Of course now I can see that it's country, but I think at the time I just thought it was southern rock or something. Heh heh
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2018 16:55
  • Post subject:
[quote="bobbyb5"]
Tilly wrote:
[b][size=18]'86:1 Forced Intervention

When I was real young I bought Guitar Town from one of those record clubs they used to have where you get albums in the mail. At the time I probably didn't think of it as country music, but I loved it. Of course now I can see that it's country, but I think at the time I just thought it was southern rock or something. Heh heh

lol. I used to so the same thing. Columbia House. It's what got my addiction started. I blame them for everything. 12 albums for a penny. What kid couldn't refuse. Total dealers.

Yeah. This Steve Earle album is very much just 80s Heartland ROCK not that different from what John cougar and even Springsteen were doing at the time. It's definitely country with a major debt to Johnny Cash but it fits in nicely with AOR/MOR 80s rock for the most part. Just great songs and not a bit of filler. True 80s rock classic.

The one drawback on this album is the MOR 80s rock production with robs it of its power, but if you can track down the 30th Anniversary release (which is available on Spotify), he plays the entire album live in Chicago in 1987 without any of that production gloss. Totally worth hunting down!!!
  • Visit poster's website