View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/08/2021 19:58
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
'80:17 Solid Rock

Making Movies by Dire Straits

The Setting: Let’s face it. Classic rock fans did NOT have a lot of good options in 1980. Neil Young was dealing with domestic issues. Dylan was busy getting Saved. Zeppelin were done. And Pete Townsend was out on his lonesome. So the scene was set for a new face to capture this ardent set of fans. Enter Dire Straits who had already proven their classic rock bonafides with two back-to-back 5 STAR albums of laid-back JJ Cale inflected rock n' roll with their debut and the underrated Communique. Could the boys deliver again?

The Listen: Yes! AND no! Mark and the boys prove that they certainly had what it takes. Although I’m (unsurprisingly) more of a fan of the sparse, stripped down sound of their first two albums, it's hard to argue that Mark and his boys created something epic, romantic and downright beautiful on side 1 of Making Movies. Like the title says, this is cinematic music. Music that transports. BUT, side two feels like an afterthought with “Solid Rock” in particular just being a pretty generic rocker. The record simply runs out of steam on the back side to get that coveted Five Star mark.

The Verdict: Were Dire Straits the last great Classic Rock band? I’m sincerely asking. We get so caught up in who was first (The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc.) but how about the brothers who kept the torch lit for another decade for all us Dad Rockers & Mama Bunnies out there. Dire Straits don’t get the love they deserve. Their first two albums are untouchable, laid back, whiskey drinking rock n’ roll. With Making Movies, they added more elements. More cameras. But that second side just runs out of gas. That first side, though? Damn. Its fuckability factor is through the roof.

Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

==========================================================================================

1980 Essentials (Thus Far) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
1. Joy Division - Closer (post-Punk, Goth)
2. Talking Heads - Remain In Light (Art Punk, Post-Punk)
3. The Cure - Seventeen Seconds (Post-Punk, Goth)
4. Fela Kuti - Coffin For Head Of State (Afrobeat)
5. Circle Jerks - Group Sex (Hardcore, Punk)
6. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (Metal, NWOBHM)
7. The Heats - Have An Idea (Power Pop)
8. Lucinda Williams - Happy Woman Blues (Country, Folk)
9. Diana Ross - Diana (Pop, R&B)
10. Specials - More Specials
11. Angel Witch - Angel Witch (NWOBHM, Metal)
12. Merle Haggard - Back To The Barrooms (Country)
13. Angry Samoans - Inside My Brain (Hardcore, Punk)

HMs
1. Dire Straits - Making Movies
2. Judas Priest - British Steel (NWOBHM, Metal)
3. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables (Hardcore, Punk)
4. Paul McCartney - II (Art Pop)
5. Echo & The Bunnymen - Crocodiles (College Rock, Post-Punk)
6. Kurtis Blow - Kurtis Blow (Hip Hop)

I'm glad you at least liked it. Of course that side 1 is stunning but all in all I also think that Solid Rock is a bit more than a solid rocker.

And News flash: I don't hate Bruce Springsteen and I will even go further: I like his most recent albums even more than his older ones. I suppose I deserve to get shot on the spot now.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2021 02:01
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

I'm glad you at least liked it. Of course that side 1 is stunning but all in all I also think that Solid Rock is a bit more than a solid rocker.

And News flash: I don't hate Bruce Springsteen and I will even go further: I like his most recent albums even more than his older ones. I suppose I deserve to get shot on the spot now.

Shocker!!! Wink Razz Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2021 13:49
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
'80:17 Solid Rock

Making Movies by Dire Straits

The Setting: Let’s face it. Classic rock fans did NOT have a lot of good options in 1980. Neil Young was dealing with domestic issues. Dylan was busy getting Saved. Zeppelin were done. And Pete Townsend was out on his lonesome. So the scene was set for a new face to capture this ardent set of fans. Enter Dire Straits who had already proven their classic rock bonafides with two back-to-back 5 STAR albums of laid-back JJ Cale inflected rock n' roll with their debut and the underrated Communique. Could the boys deliver again?

The Listen: Yes! AND no! Mark and the boys prove that they certainly had what it takes. Although I’m (unsurprisingly) more of a fan of the sparse, stripped down sound of their first two albums, it's hard to argue that Mark and his boys created something epic, romantic and downright beautiful on side 1 of Making Movies. Like the title says, this is cinematic music. Music that transports. BUT, side two feels like an afterthought with “Solid Rock” in particular just being a pretty generic rocker. The record simply runs out of steam on the back side to get that coveted Five Star mark.

The Verdict: Were Dire Straits the last great Classic Rock band? I’m sincerely asking. We get so caught up in who was first (The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc.) but how about the brothers who kept the torch lit for another decade for all us Dad Rockers & Mama Bunnies out there. Dire Straits don’t get the love they deserve. Their first two albums are untouchable, laid back, whiskey drinking rock n’ roll. With Making Movies, they added more elements. More cameras. But that second side just runs out of gas. That first side, though? Damn. Its fuckability factor is through the roof.

==========================================================================================

1980 Essentials (Thus Far) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
1. Joy Division - Closer (post-Punk, Goth)
2. Talking Heads - Remain In Light (Art Punk, Post-Punk)
3. The Cure - Seventeen Seconds (Post-Punk, Goth)
4. Fela Kuti - Coffin For Head Of State (Afrobeat)
5. Circle Jerks - Group Sex (Hardcore, Punk)
6. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (Metal, NWOBHM)
7. The Heats - Have An Idea (Power Pop)
8. Lucinda Williams - Happy Woman Blues (Country, Folk)
9. Diana Ross - Diana (Pop, R&B)
10. Specials - More Specials
11. Angel Witch - Angel Witch (NWOBHM, Metal)
12. Merle Haggard - Back To The Barrooms (Country)
13. Angry Samoans - Inside My Brain (Hardcore, Punk)

HMs
1. Dire Straits - Making Movies
2. Judas Priest - British Steel (NWOBHM, Metal)
3. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables (Hardcore, Punk)
4. Paul McCartney - II (Art Pop)
5. Echo & The Bunnymen - Crocodiles (College Rock, Post-Punk)
6. Kurtis Blow - Kurtis Blow (Hip Hop)

It was a few years after release before I heard this. Up to that point, all I knew of Dire Straits was having heard Sultans of Swing on the radio a few times.
I saw this in a used bin for a buck and picked it up and was immediately irritated at yet another great album having slipped my knowledge (due to my living in a remote area with limited radio and no record stores, may years pre-internet).

I liked the whole album, but Skateaway became an instant favorite.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/12/2021 04:24
  • Post subject:
JTD Hit Riot Fest 2021

Ok! I need to change things up just for a couple of months. Which is probably good anyways so that I can hear that 1980 sound with fresh ears once more

I'm going to RiotFest in just a couple of months. It totally snuck up on us. And by us I mean my new girlfriend. Who was my old girlfriend! lol. That's right after all that sniveling and whining to you guys we got back together. She was sick of reading how miserable I was without her I'm guessing! Razz

So yeah. I'm pretty happy!!! And Riot Fest is totally sneaking up on us so I have to turn my light beam on that! I love geeking out and making playlists for whatever fest I'm about to attend. Especially when it has a lineup like this...

https://riotfest.org/chicago/lineup/

But, I could totally use your guys help determine which acts I should check out! So...

1. Tell me your favorite headliner(s)!!! I'll do Rank 'Ems for them
2. Tell me about your favorite unheralded band(s). They're are a TON of bands I do NOT know in this lineup! I'm getting old!
3. And of course your favorite LIVE band(s) on this list. I'll check 'em out and let you know what I think.

\m/

================================================================================

Dihansse
Rank Em'
1. Dinosaur Jr 2. Pixies. 3. Smashing Pumpkins
Unheralded/Lesser Known
1. Melkbelly 2. Ratboys
Live
1. Fucked Up

Mecca
Rank Em'
1. NIN 2. Faith No More 3. RTJ 4. Dinosaur Jr 5. Pixies 6. Devo

Unheralded/Lesser Known
1. Mr Bungle!!!!, 2. The Gories, 3. Ganser

Live
Les Savy Fav, Gogol Bordello, Andrew WK, Fishbone! Fucked Up

Last edited by Repo on 07/14/2021 11:57; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/12/2021 05:09
  • Post subject:
First congrats with your new/old relationship. I wish you two all the happiness in the world.

That Riot Fest has a great line-up so there is certainly a number of bands I really (would) appreciate.
Which ones did I already see live:
I saw Smashing Pumpkins also at a festival when they had just released Siamese Dream and it was one of the best and most intense concerts I have ever seen and is one of the main reasons why this album is still one of my all-time favorites. But do I want to see them again: I think not.
Dinosaur Jr. is one of my favorite bands which I have seen many times live, both on festivals and in smaller venues. Some of those concerts were great and some weren't but I would certainly love to see them live again because they keep on releasing great albums.
And the Pixies I always like to see live, if not only to see how is the condition of Frank and how he interacts with whatever bass player is now in the band.
I saw Rancid but they didn't make a big impression on me and I have never been a big fan of them.

But the band I would die to see is Fucked Up, one of my favorite bands of the year(s) 2000. Maybe it has been a while since they released their most relevant albums but it is certainly one of those bands I would like to see live.
Of the smaller and newer bands on the list (which I obviously didn't see live) I would certainly recommend Melkbelly who have released a great album in 2020: Pith. The voice of the singer sounds a bit like Kim Deal and also the sound is a bit Pixies, but great music. Ratboys with Printer's Devil was also a great album of 2020.
And of course Faith No More and Andrew WK would have to be checked out as well but I wouldn't die if I wouldn't see them. And maybe also Best Coast.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 07/12/2021 10:02
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
'80:15 The FUN Factor

More Specials by The Specials

The Setting: The Specials were THE definitive band of the second wave of ska. Their debut could almost be considered a greatest hits album for the Two Tone scene. So this is just More of the same, right? Probably just a weak collection of B-sides rushed to market to capitalize on the ska revival, right?

The Listen: I know what you’re thinking. THIS can’t be the FIVE star Specials album. That’s the debut. EVERYONE knows that. That’s what I always assumed too, guys. So I was pretty surprised to see Purplepash pick this. BUT, you know what? It actually works far better as an ALBUM than the debut. The debut feels like a collection of singles whereas this feels cohesive & remarkedly varied. And there’s even MORE genre mashing. The Specials ability to mash up multiple different genres from years past and make it fresh & new & that's right - FUN - is pretty much unparalleled.

The Verdict: A remarkable diversion of an album. Throwing this on creates an instantaneous House Party atmosphere. Like when you were hanging out in your dorm room and that one cool guy down the hall not only had alcohol but new how to make Fuzzy Navels (with Vodka of course!). A total house party classic. I NEED one second-wave ska album on this list to capture the spirit of 1980. This may get knocked off further down the line by The English Beat, but this is certainly a worthy contender for the 1980 ska throne.

Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yeah!!!! 5/5 all day long from me. The Specials were/ are one of the great British bands. I've not heard their latest yet (how can you have The Specials without Jerry Dammers?) First two albums are total classics even if, like you say, they are totally different.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2021 16:12
  • Post subject:
Good to hear that you're glowing from the new/revived relationship!

If I could make it out to Chicago, I'd love to catch RiotFest. It's an interesting lineup for sure

Rank Em'
1. NIN 2. Faith No More 3. RTJ 4. Dinosaur Jr 5. Pixies 6. Devo

Unheralded/Lesser Known
Mr Bungle!!!!, The Gories, Ganser

Live
Les Savy Fav, Gogol Bordello, AWK, Fishbone! Fucked Up

There's so many great live bands performing. Les Savy Fav is one of the most entertaining live bands I've ever seen. Gogol Bordello and Andrew WK bring a truly intoxicating level of fun and energy. Fishbone's long been know as one of the wildest live bands ever. I've never been super into their records but Fucked Up rules live. Mr Bungle is one of the most mindblowing bands I've ever seen live. I assume this is gonna be the thrash metal version of the band with Dave Lombardo on drums and Scott Ian on guitar with the core of Patton, Spruance and Dunn. How could that not be insane?! Faith no More is great live.

Not to be overlooked, the Gories are an awesome dirty garage rock band from the 80s. Ganser is a really tight recent post punk band. In a festival full of loud heavy bands, Alex G could be a relief (think the poppier experimental side of Elliott Smith).

I know I'd have a tough time skipping NOFX, Rancid, Bosstones, Dropkick Murphys, or Thursday for the pure nostalgia of it all. I haven't seen any of them in decades
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2021 16:30
  • Post subject:
Can't help myself. This is how I'd rank every band that I've seen who's playing based solely on live performances I've witnessed

Mr Bungle
Faith No More
Les Savy Fav
Gogol Bordello
Dinosaur Jr
The Pixies
Fucked Up
Devo
Gwar (if you haven't seen them, you definitely need to catch part of the set)
Dropkick Murphys
Bosstones
NOFX
The Bronx
Night Moves
Thursday
The Sounds
Taking Back Sunday

Sublime with Rome (I hate this stupid band)
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2021 01:14
  • Post subject:
'81:1 Punk’s NOT Dead!

Punk's Not Dead by Exploited

Say to me that punk is dead
I wish you even more contempt
Don't like the music, don't like the words
You can all piss off, you're a bunch of turds

The Setting: The Crass famously said it first. Presumptiously all the way back in 1978. (Maybe they were just the first click baiters?! That's my guess! ) Those who didn’t just pay attention to the headlines of the New Musical Expressive, those of us who actually went to shows, knew otherwise. Punk was alive and well post The Class of '77 with killer bands like The Buzzcocks, Sham 69, The Ruts, 999, and yes, even The Crass themselves still making important and creative music (not to even mention the entire Post-Punk scene). Some also say, that the early 80s British punk scene in particular couldn’t compete with what was going in the good 'ol US of A. Was punk rock at the start of the 80s in England really as stale as a day old chip dropped on the wharf?

The Listen: Bloody hell, my friends. Of course not! It’s in the freakin' album title for Christsake. A big middle finger to all the haters. And the press. The music critics who, as we have discussed previously, are usually no better than the paparazzi. More interested in making a splash (or getting "clicks" even back then) than actually talking about the actual music. Like scientists fudging their data just to get published. Thoughts on music by the press is typically just fashion and typically has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with THE music itself.

Like a lot of Hardcore in the 80s (and I'm talking about BOTH the Brits & the Americans here), it can get a bit monotonous at times with some songs running into each other. So this is NOT a 5 star album. BUT, there are some all time great punk ANTHEMS on this gnarly mofo such as “Punk’s Not Dead”, "Mucky Pup” and of course “Sex and Violence”. AND, this 1981 album served as crucial bridge to the legendary Class of ’82 (that we will get into if it ever dawns around here).

The Verdict: If you were at a Cockney punk club back in 1981, you'd better believe that THESE were the bloody songs that YOU were belting out until your voice went hoarse no matter how many bitters you were swilling.

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2021 10:42
  • Post subject:
They Could Have Been as Big as… AC/DC!!! (1978)

Rose Tattoo by Rose Tattoo

Ok. I’m not saying they’re AC/DC. I am saying that if you squint just a bit after downing an oil can of Fosters (go green, my friends!), they’re close enough. I mean it's TWO in the mornin.' What more do you want? So if you’re hankering for some sweaty & sleazy rock n’ roll Aussie style, and you’re just stone cold tired of cueing up Powerage for the millionth time, this trick will do!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (Highly Recommended!!!)
  • Visit poster's website