The Repo Zone: 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 154, 155, 156  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2021 02:30
  • Post subject:
Holy AHIT! OF COOOURRRSSSSE!!! For some reason I thought you’d already ranked the great Motörhead. Great top 2.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2021 03:18
  • Post subject:
Repo's Top 13 "METAL" Albums of 1981

Night Of The Demon by Demon

Bait & Switch

Ok. So the album cover is a bit of a bait & switch. For those (like me!) who were expecting something akin to Venom. Something evil and from the grave, maybe. Forget about it! These guys had much more in common with the 70s hard rocking stuff you'd find blaring from a biker bar's beer garden. BUT, they did have something that makes them stand out - Dave Hill. Dave Hill sang like the second coming of Roky Erikson (who himself was having a second coming in the early 80s that I'll get to soon enough!) And that's more than enough to catapult these songs South of the Dial...

Fair Warning by Van Halen

"C'mon Dave, give 'em a break! "

Even MORE sleazy punk metal as only Diamond Dave and his crew of idiot savants could deliver. The last truly great "Van Halen" album as they mailed it in with Diver Down and 1984 (as good as it is! And it's really, really good!) was a different beast entirely.

Fire Down Under by Riot

AMERICAN STEEL

Life ain't fair. You know it. I know it. It just ain't. Never has been. Never will be. Despite that, kids, particularly my kids, spend a gazillion hours lamenting about how things just aren't fair. How they’ve gotten the proverbial shaft. How their friends have it so much better. “Why do Hana and Jay get iPhones? And we don’t? Huh? Why, Dad?!?! Why? Why? Why? It’s NOT fair."

To which I always reply, “Yes, life isn’t fair. Get used to it!” And then I just start laughing like the crazy person I am. That shuts them up pretty quick, I tell ya. Hard to worry about life being unfair, when your Dad’s losing his grip on reality right before your eyes. And then I tell them this very story. This story about geography. The world is a big place. And our boys Riot were in the wrong place at the right time. New York City instead of Anywhere, UK.

Riot were one of the first bands to inject some molten metal into the 70s hard blues kettle mash. Along with Motorhead and Priest, they invented the whole NWOBHM sound. Yet, they've been excluded from the club! Just because some bozo rock critic from London didn't think how unfair it would be to exclude - oh, I don't know- THE REST OF THE WORLD from his pithy acronym. How imperliastic can you get? It's enough to send me into a tantrum.

So. If one band in the history of late 70s rock besides UFO have the right to squawk, it's Riot.

Riot put out an album in 1977 called Rock City that is a NWOBHM classic years before NWOBHM had even materialized. They did it again in 1979 with Narita. And then unleashed their best in 1981 with Fire Down Under. Three NWOBHM classics in a row!

And then their inimitable singer left them for a career as an exterminator. (That’s how metal his voice was! Black Flag has nothing on that!) And then they sank back down into bluesy generic rock on Restless Breed. Hell, the title track sounds like a cover of Bad Company's eponymous track. I ain’t kidding! Bad Company! That’s a slide. Luckily, they would reinvent themselves in a couple of years into one of the most influential power metal bands. But, that’s a story for another time. I got kids to tuck in. Squawking about water & melatonin gummies. Life ain't fair!

to be continued...

Last edited by Repo on 12/16/2021 08:58; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2021 04:02
  • Post subject:
Repo's Top 13 "METAL" Albums of 1981. (cont.)

Breaker by Accept

The (Teutonic) Metal Gods

If you were trying to pick one band that encapsulated the sound of metal, it would have to be British Steel/Screaming For Vengeance - era Judas Priest. That’s a given. But Accept’s early 80s output would be a close second! In fact, no other metal band dominated the early 80s metal scene quite like Accept besides Iron Maiden (whose run of FIVE utterly essential albums over FIVE years is downright mind boggling.) But Accept (sorta) had (nearly) FOUR classic albums over that same span with Breaker, Restless & Wild, Balls To The Wall, and Metal Heart.

But, I’m getting ahead of myself. It took two albums for Accept to find themselves. Their first two albums (self-titled and I'm A Rebel) are competent but entirely generic late 70s hard rock. But then BAM! Accept arrive fully formed on Breaker in 1981. People will tell you that Breaker’s a transitional album. That's utter bullshit. Especially the first side which is an unqualified masterpiece of 1981 heavy metal and completely on the forefront of where metal was going. Especially the title track “Breaker” itself which just may be the very first speed metal song. Check it out here and see what every future metal band was about to mainline.

Completely metallic, mechanical, fast, dirty and brutal. Taking their key twin influences of, let’s say, 80% Priest and 20% Bon Scott-era AC/DC and running with it. That's right. AC/DC. People forget, perhaps because the Brian Johnson second-rate era far outlived the Bon Scott one, that AC/DC were one of the rawest, dirtiest and heaviest bands on the planet back in the late 70s. If you don’t know this, do yourself a favor and spin “Go Down” or “Dog Eat Dog” from Let There Be Rock. That shit is nasty!

Warhead by More

Here Comes Sickness

The Grunge-iest of all the NWOBHM bands. Their track "Depression" should be cannon. And the best was yet to come!

Fire Of Unknown Origin by Blue Öyster Cult

Satan’s Music

Satan is a suave, sophisticated fuck, right? Sleek and smooth with style for miles. At least, that’s the way I think of him. The way I like him portrayed best. He’s not an outright crass lout slamming back a Miller Lite. No. He leaves that for his demon buddies. His henchman. He's the kind of girl that can talk you into bed even though you're pretty sure there might be a dagger under the pillow. The Devil may care simply takes over you. It's taken nearly forty years for the metal world to catch up with BOC, but finally the Devil's been given her due. And he's burning for you!

tbc ...
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2021 04:24
  • Post subject:

Welcome To Hell by Venom

GROUND ZERO

Weirdly enough despite their infamy, Venom still do not get enough credit. They created this sound. The sound of all extreme metal. They made music that was willfully evil. Ugly. Brutal. And they did it on purpose. Were they best players. Hell no. But they were bloody, unhinged visionaries which is worth so much more. They were willing to tear down all that came before. They took Motorhead and Priest licks & riffs ripped them to shreds, chewed them apart, stretched them too thin and then spat them out from the grave. They were filthy, putrid, and vile. And they made sure that you knew they loved every minute of it. The guitar solos are some of the most influential in metal history, and you can hear their echos in Slayer’s early albums.

Nowadays their sound is called Black n’ Roll and you can still hear their influence on such killer bands as Midnight.

Influences: Motorhead. Motorhead. Motorhead. Priest. (Motorhead's Overkill is pretty much essential listening for this stuff.)

Diary Of A Madman by Ozzy Osbourne

Life is a Motherfuckin' Rollercoaster

One of the few cases where the sequel surpasses the original. That's right. Diary is better than Blizzard of Oz. Tragically, the last we would hear from the great, inimitable Randy Rhodes who married neo-classical and metal like no one else ever had or would again.

Too Fast For Love by Mötley Crüe

Come On and Dance

Inarguably one of the best sleaze albums of all time and the rightful descendants of the the New York Dolls. This is glam rock at its finest. I don't always listen to Motley Crue, BUT when I do, I prefer this!

EASILY their best!

tbc...
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/18/2021 15:12
  • Post subject:
GREAT writing. It's always a pleasure following this diary, but now it's inspired me to try some Blue Öyster Cult records for the first time. Which album do you think I should start with? I own a greatest hits collection and love their sound, but never did listen to the albums...

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2021 12:56
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
GREAT writing. It's always a pleasure following this diary, but now it's inspired me to try some Blue Öyster Cult records for the first time. Which album do you think I should start with? I own a greatest hits collection and love their sound, but never did listen to the albums...

Thanks, brother!!!

And that's a great question because they kept changing up their sound and style throughout the years. Their early years - often called The Black and White Years due to the graphics of their early album covers- are where they're at their heaviest and hardest. Their initial desire was to be America's answer to Black Sabbath. And they came fairly close especially with that first self-titled album. Roeser, who plays lead guitar, came up with some of the best riffs of the entire 70s. How his name isn't more well known is beyond me. Plus they had this mad genius of a producer/manager/lyricist named Sandy Pearlman who came up with this unique three-pronged guitar layering technique in the studio that created a downright mystical & occultish sound on those early LPs.

tl;dr: START HERE...

Blue Öyster Cult by Blue Öyster Cult
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/21/2021 23:55
  • Post subject:

The Nightcomers by Holocaust

CROSSOVER

We've all heard the story. How punk injected new life into staid hard rock in the late 70s giving birth to NWOBHM which gave birth to thrash which in turn gave birth to a gazillion metal subgenres that no-one can even keep track of. You know. That story.

But, it's still pretty easy to tell a NWOBHM album from an early 80s punk album, right? Turns out not so easy! (although still pretty easy! lol. Gotta have something to write about, guys!) Anyways, Holocaust were such a band. Reminding me at times of High Time- era MC5, Orange County surf punk legends Agent Orange, and Portlandia Gawds The Wipers (especially the production and the vocals).

BUT, the album it is most genetically linked to is Ace Frehley's solo Kiss album from 1978. Those in the know, realize that that is not a diss, but insanely high praise. In fact, if you want a tell tale sign of a kickass punk club, just check it's jukebox for a copy. It should be right there next to The Stooges. It's a highly esteemed cult classic, and probably my second favorite Kiss album (after their debut of course).

In fact, due to its intelligence, flat out fun and lo-fi punk feel, this may be my favorite album of the entire NWOBHM movement excluding Maiden's two albums with Di'anno!

Mob Rules by Black Sabbath

Slack Jawed

Mob Rules is BETTER than Heaven & Hell. That’s right. You heard me correctly. Now, don’t get me wrong. Heaven & Hell RULES! It’s not like I’m trying to pick a fight even though I know I could win. That’s just not my style. But, I do have a bone with a bit of meat on it to pick if I wanted to gnaw on this topic for just a bit. I mean for starters Dio sounds like he's really settled in, and I would wager that THIS record is his best vocal performance in his entire oeuvre.

BUT, let's get to the more important takeaway. Long before Opeth were even off their training wheels, these guys were seamlessly throwing a bit of folk into the forge. And if you ask me, (“We’re asking, Jeff!”) they do it even better. It sounds more organic. It's not just some sort of device or gimmick. It's just a natural part of the song. So much so that you don't even realize it until you've eaten one two many tricked out gummy bears, and you're like "Gazooks! This is folk! I've been had!"

Dio & Iommi were made for each other it seems, and it’s a damn shame their sizable egos got involved because I would have loved a few more albums like this. Not that I'm complaining exactly. Dio’s Pop Metal masterpiece Rainbow In the Dark was right around the corner after all. No. Mostly , I’m just slack jawed that these absolute giants of metal created yet another massively influential sound that was quite distinct from the Ozzy DOOM ones of the early 70s.

In short, Mob Rules is one of those sequels that defy the odds. Every bit as good (if not better Razz ). And yet another chapter was added to their sizable canon.

tbc ...
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2021 02:47
  • Post subject:

High 'N' Dry by Def Leppard

Quantum Leap

The Setting: They were ambitious right from the outset. Naming a song “Hello America” as the second track on your debut On Through The Night speaks volumes about your desire for world domination. But, it was a crowded field in the NWOBHM multiverse. Their songwriting just wasn’t there yet; oftentimes just sounding like generic rockers. At this point you wouldn't even think of mentioning them in the same breath as the NWOBHM royalty such as Saxon, Angel Witch, Diamond Head and of course Maiden. BUt, they showed promise. Especially on the track "Sorrow Is A Woman." If they could just pen a few more songs like that, I gave them a puncher’s chance.

The Listen: Well, We all know what happened. They landed more than just a few blows. They landed a full blown hay maker with their second album High N' Dry, knocking 80s Hard Rock in a whole different trajectory. For most of us metal heads, High N’ Dry is where it's at. The leap in quality from the debut in …. EVERYTHING (singing, songwriting, & production) is staggering. The songs were more expansive & creative but continued to pack a wallop. Joe Elliot's voice hit that perfect sweet spot of raw emotion and vulnerability while still being tough & with some bad boy danger to get you all nice & wet. And we all know what Mutt Lange can do behind the big board after AC/DD's Back In Black. They were 60% AC/DC to 40% Loverboy, and that golden ratio was just the trick for their sound. And their popularity. The girl’s wanted in and the boys wanted in on the girls. And arguably the best hard rock band of the entire 80s was about to say “Hello America” for reals.

The Verdict: The platonic ideal of Hard Rock, NWOBHM and AOR. Arguably the best hair metal album of all time. Inarguably one of the best party albums of the early 80s. And Def Leppard's best!

tbc...
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2021 00:04
  • Post subject:

Killers by Iron Maiden

Reality TV

I was never much into theater. That’s how I explain it. But, I’m ahead of myself. As usual. Let’s put the shadow back into the body shall we and dig deep into one of metal’s enduring debates: Dickinson vs. DiAnno.

Iron Maiden captured the world and became one of the two biggest metal bands on the planet once Dickinson stepped up to the mic after Di'Anno was unceremoniously dumped by Steve Harris for being an overall dirtbag. A smokin', beer drinkin', undependable lout. Dickinson was a far more technically gifted singer. And by all accounts a very likable guy. BUT, Bruce Bruce just couldn’t help himself. Restraint is not his forte. He's more than a bit theatrical if you know what I mean. And I personally happen to prefer my metal singers on the raw side. A bit more dangerous. Like they’re singing their real, unhinged inner thoughts. That’s what made Ozzy sooo amazing on his early solo LPs and with Black Sabbath. Likewise for Bon Scott of AC/DC and Lemmy of Motorhead. God know those three weren’t gifted singers. Shit. Lemmy’s voice was essentially an unfiltered cigarette hooked up to a mic and plugged in. (Let’s call him the very first e-cig! ) But they were believable. They could haunt your dreams. Make you believe that they regretted selling their souls to the Satan and now, had no choice but to hunt down YOURS. You could feel their breath at the back of your neck. And you half felt obliged to give it to them. Just because they were hurting so bad. You know what I mean?. That’s what Di’Anno had. He was the streets. The alleys. The low-lifes waiting behind the dumpster to snatch your purse. With Bruce Bruce, you always knew that it was just good fun. Brilliant fun. But, theater nonetheless. You weren’t going to lose any sleep over it. And wasn’t that half the point?
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/26/2021 00:45
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
That’s what Di’Anno had. He was the streets. The alleys. The low-lifes waiting behind the dumpster to snatch your purse.
Brilliant. Bruce is definitely a very theatrical 80s power metal style singer, but honestly he's the best at that style. Both him and Di'Anno hold a special place in my heart. If only they made another one or two albums with Di'Anno...

I've been browsing the Iron Maiden internets a bit lately, and it seems the new crop of Iron Maiden fans love the post 00s stuff a lot, while not being too interested in the Di'Anno years. Never thought I'd say this, but it seems Killers has become a vastly underrated album. It makes sense though, the only "big" song which is still performed live is Wrathchild. If you don't dig deeper, it might seem this is one of the lesser 80s releases from the Irons. Glad Repo knows it's not Cool

That being said, Bruce CAN do the more dirty, punky style well (though probably not as good as Paul)

Link

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website