Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2022 13:48
  • Post subject:
OR is it this?!?! Think

Link

Where Fear breaks down the meaning of life! Twisted Evil

edit: This entire album is KILLER btw. Fear were way more than just The Record!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2022 17:55
  • Post subject:
Can you feel it, brothers & sisters? Something new. WAIT! It's not new at all. why it's only the...

RETURN OF THE MELLOW ZONE!!!

This time around I'm headed way back to 1956. So send it some R&Rs => requests & recommendations!!! I'll do my best. After all, that's all I can do!

========================================================================================== =============

'56:a Guitar. Piano. Fiddle.

Link

Forget what you knew
We’ll start life anew
Down on the corner of love
- Buck Owens (1956)

Sometimes life just needs to be pared back to the basics. In Buck Owens case, it was a simple, catchy melody with guitar, piano, & fiddle. The bedrock of a good country song with a simple BUT much needed message.

Forget the past. <It’s gone!> You have to have faith in yourself. That you tried your best. And this is where life has taken you. A place to start anew.

It’s at these times when it’s good to get back to the basics. A good country song. A cold beer. Just chilling in a comfortable and well-worn lawn chair and watching the clouds go by. The bees dancing amongst the flowers getting their last taste of summer.

A good nights sleep. A nice walk along the lake. Take in that fresh morning air. These are the basics of life => Guitar. Piano. Fiddle. <Repeat as directed.>

ps. I'm just a startin' to worship Buck Owens, and this is his very first song!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2022 18:07
  • Post subject:
Dude that was before the founding fathers Abraham Lincoln and Henry the VII invented electricity during the battle of the bulge! What music even existed at that time besides a smattering of early EDM and Bach?

In all seriousness though this sounds fun! I won’t have much to r&r.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/22/2022 19:27
  • Post subject:
Going all the way back to 1956?

One of my favorite jazz albums ever was released that year:

Jazz At Massey Hall by The Quintet

You don't get a quintet much better than Dizzy Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, and Max Roach. Some of the best jazz around

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 08/22/2022 20:44
  • Post subject:
Hardly any surprising picks, as they are all reasonably well-known, but you can't go wrong with either of those:
- Pithecanthropus Erectus by Charles Mingus
- Mingus At The Bohemia by Charles Mingus
- Ellington At Newport by Duke Ellington
- Bound For Glory by Woody Guthrie
- Gospel Train by Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Since you went that back, I'd suggest taking a look at 1957 as well. Based on what I've listened - admittedly not that much -, I consider it an even better year.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/24/2022 02:40
  • Post subject:
'56:b ...then this shit is X!

Johnny Burnette And The Rock N' Roll Tr... Roll Trio

“Did you hear me scream?” – Black Francis

I LOVE Elvis. I’m not coming for his crown. Not ever. BUT, <& this is a big ol’ butt> Johnny Burnette and his gang of delinquents positively destroys Elvis’ debut LP (and anything else Elvis ever put out.) If the big news back in 1956 was that Elvis was rated R, making all those teenage girls swoon and whatnot, then this shit is X!

Which is not at all surprising. You see these guys were fighters. And not just metaphorical ones. No. I’m talking real world, lace-up the-gloves fighters. Golden Gloves champions even! That’s actually how the Burnette brothers (Johnny & Dorsey) met their guitarist, Paul Burlison – at a boxing tournament in Memphis. Bonus fun fact just for kicks => Johnny was a real live Repo Man too!!! These dudes were badass with a capital B.

Johnny had the scream. Burlison brought the fuzz. And Dorsey could slap that big ol’ bass something fierce. And together they made hands-down the best rockabilly album of all time. Every track just jumps right out of and grabs you by the shorties. If you throw this on, and it does not start an instant party, do yourself a favor. Don’t change the record. Find new friends!

Link

Last edited by Repo on 09/02/2022 03:30; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/24/2022 23:12
  • Post subject:
I know I'm late and now commenting on your old project, but I have to say that ranking of top 20 1983 albums was glorious. Loved the write ups - especially loved the Show No Mercy write up! Excellent stuff!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2022 14:47
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
I know I'm late and now commenting on your old project, but I have to say that ranking of top 20 1983 albums was glorious. Loved the write ups - especially loved the Show No Mercy write up! Excellent stuff!

There’s NO expiration date for compliments! Laughing

<I’ll take them WHENEVER! Lol>

Thanks, Mercury! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/29/2022 01:45
  • Post subject:
'51:a The Country Standard

Hank Williams Sings by Hank Williams Wi...ng Cowboys

I'm a rollin' stone, all alone and lost
For a life of sin, I have paid the cost
– "Lost Highway"

Some artists just cannot be touched. Towering figures in their field even years after their passing and/or disbanding. Take The Beatles. You CANNOT talk about the history of Rock without name checking those giants. <Well you can, but that would just make you an idiot.>

And in Country Music, the same would be true of Hank Williams. He is not only the bedrock of the sound but “The Mansion On The Hill.” The target. The standard. Just like The Beatles, pretty much ANYTHING Hank Williams touched in his all too short career is gold. The BEST country you’ll ever hear.

Authentic. Harrowing. These are songs that worm there way not just into the ol’ earhole but your gut. Songs that live with you. Like a good pair of blue jeans, these are songs that fit ya’ better with each listen. A veritable well worn wardrobe to keep you warm and comfy when life inevitably sends you down that “Lost Highway.”

So get yourself a “jug of wine”, pour yourself a glass or two, and join me & ol’ Hank reminiscing about the countless lives that could have been lived but weren’t. The paths not taken that should have been. Because that’s what country music is all about. I don’t know a lot. I know that now. <But then NONE of us do.> BUT, there is one more thing I DO know. And THAT'S that joining me & my pal Hank here is the one sure thing you will NOT regret come morning. Wink

Link

Last edited by Repo on 09/02/2022 03:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2022 02:54
  • Post subject:
'47:a Riffin' the Scotch
aka Better To Burn Out...

Teddy Wilson - Billie Holiday by Teddy ...ie Holiday

He's hot as Hades
A lady's not safe in his arms when she's kissed
But I'm afraid that when he's cooled off
And maybe I'm ruled off his list
I'll never be missed
- I MUST Have That Man (Billie Holiday)

People forget. They just do. Jazz was the Devil’s music. It wasn’t no place for a “Lady.” Day or night. These people lived hard. Partied harder. And you know who ruled that scene back in the thirties? Came in and turned everything upside down. A young Billie Holiday. The tempestuous Lady Day!

We tend to be too referential of the old-timers. Especially if they were a Lady. But there’s no denying it. Billie Holliday was a badass. She could zip when Teddy & his gang would zag. Her improvisational skills & riffing changed jazz forever. And she could drink you under the table while doing it. Don’t ever forget that. That would be cheapening her legacy.

And before I bid you good night, remember this as well, Teddy Wilson and His Orchestra was just positively sick => Benny Goodman on clarinet. Roy "Little Jazz" Eldridge on trumpet, & Ben Webster on tenor sax. Those three are household names for a reason. Billie's early recording sessions were positively oozing with talent.

Try just a little taste & you'll see what "just a little moonlight can do"...

Link
  • Visit poster's website