The Repo Zone: 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2022 18:13
  • Post subject:
For my next performing act, I'm going to go through the discographies of FOUR different bands, and slowly rank 'em. YOU, the all powerful viewer, gets to choose which act goes first. So get those mice ready, BUT make like a cat and ... POUNCE! <First come, first served!>

<PS. I know no one really reads this, but I like to have fun! lol Mr. Green >

here it is... The BIG Four!
============

A] Pharoah Saunders

B] The Gun Club

C] Saint Vitus

D] Sepultura

Last edited by Repo on 09/07/2022 03:13; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/05/2022 20:36
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
For my next performing act, I'm going to go through the discographies of FOUR different bands, and slowly rank 'em. YOU the all powerful viewer gets to choose which act goes first. So get those mice ready, BUT make like a cat and ... POUNCE! <First come, first served!>

============

A] Pharoah Saunders

B] The Gun Club

C] Saint Vitus

D] Sepultura

Without any doubt: The Gun Club !!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2022 02:43
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Repo wrote:
For my next performing act, I'm going to go through the discographies of FOUR different bands, and slowly rank 'em. YOU the all powerful viewer gets to choose which act goes first. So get those mice ready, BUT make like a cat and ... POUNCE! <First come, first served!>

============

A] Pharoah Saunders

B] The Gun Club

C] Saint Vitus

D] Sepultura

Awesome! And I was all psyched to whip something up right now. I mean. I got a few beers in the system. The kids are tucked in upstairs after watching Paddington 2 . <Total Five Star FAMILY Film!!! Applause > Something like... "The Gun Club. The first punk band to suck in that arid desert air & some stray cacti shrapnel and... rip punk to shreds! BLAH! Blah. BLAH!" But they weren't. Don't get me wrong. The Gun Club rule. BUT, to set the stage just right, we (meaning I) have to go even further back. To 1978. And flip the world on it's back. To Australia.

And this...

Prehistoric Sounds by The Saints

<review forthcoming>
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/06/2022 04:44
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Repo wrote:

============

A] Pharoah Saunders

B] The Gun Club

C] Saint Vitus

D] Sepultura

Awesome! And I was all psyched to whip something up right now. I mean. I got a few beers in the system. The kids are tucked in upstairs after watching Paddington 2 . <Total Five Star FAMILY Film!!! Applause > Something like... "The Gun Club. The first punk band to suck in that arid desert air & some stray cacti shrapnel and... rip punk to shreds! BLAH! Blah. BLAH!" But they weren't. Don't get me wrong. The Gun Club rule. BUT, to set the stage just right, we (meaning I) have to go even further back. To 1978. And flip the world on it's back. To Australia.

And this...

<review forthcoming>

Is there a connection? I’m curious because as you know I am a great fan of The Saints as well.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2022 01:01
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

============

A] Pharoah Saunders

B] The Gun Club

C] Saint Vitus

D] Sepultura

SEPULTERAAAAAA!!!!! (Because it’s in all caps, that counts as 2 votes fyi)

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2022 20:56
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Is there a connection? I’m curious because as you know I am a great fan of The Saints as well.

Other than the similarity in their (blues-punky) approach, I seem to recall that Ed Kuepper and J.L. Pierce both did stints with Nick Cave (and the Bad Seeds?), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't at the same time.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2022 02:03
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:

============

A] Pharoah Saunders

B] The Gun Club

C] Saint Vitus

D] Sepultura

SEPULTERAAAAAA!!!!! (Because it’s in all caps, that counts as 2 votes fyi)

I LIKE THE ENTHUSIASM!!! Love

I'll alternate! I'm currently teaching my kids about SHARING! Wink <It AINT easy! Brick wall >

Plus I have ADHD anyways! lol.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2022 02:45
  • Post subject:
My Record Collection is Better Than Yours
Aka The Rise of Blues Punk in the Queensland

But they crawl to the moon and the sun, he won't crawl to anyone – All Times Through Paradise

Or... Think

Now that My baby left me, I’ve been sleeping with my dog – Crazy Googenheimer Blues

(Seriously, brothers. What's the better approach post-breakup?!?! Think )

The Setting: Looking back, they were already showing their hand as early as their classic debut (I’m) Stranded - one of the defining Punk albums of the Class of ’77. Essential even. Just check out the bluesy, Stonesy swagger of “Messin’ With The Kid” …

Link

The jangly-crunch of the guitars combined with Ed Keuper’s lamenting acid washed extro make it my favorite song on the entire debut. And then The Saints upped the ante on Eternally Yours. For my money, an EVEN better album than their debut. And I'm NOT alone in that their opinion! <Can I get an AMEN, sisters?!>

The Listen: Prehistoric Sounds is not a punk record. It’s just not. It’s Rock ‘n Roll infused with the Blues, R&B, Psychedelia & Garage Rock. Not that dissimilar to what the Stones were doing in the late 60s, but FAR more rough & raw. And that’s what makes Prehistoric Sounds such a pivotal release in the Punk/Indie Rock cCanon. It sounds like what the Stones would want to sound like after drinking a case of The Class of ’77 Brewskis. Something that other bands wouldn't really even begin concocting for a few more years. <such as... The Gun Club <Here's the tie-in, Dihansse. MadHatJack got it! >There were two key bands mining this slightly prehistoric sound at this time - The Saints and The Only Ones. I'm a-guessin' they both had older brothers <or Dads!> with wicked cool record collections!

Regardless, Prehistoric Sounds is their Blues Punk MASTERPIECE! A Van Morrisonfronted Them come to life ten years later. THIS is where it all started. So happy I took a step backwards on this Blues Punk jaunt!

The Verdict: A crucial link between ‘60s Country Rock/Garage Rock and The '80s American Underground. The Saints effortlessly and organically fused fuzzed-out R&B and the Blues into Punk Rock. This was music of the past , redirected and repurposed for the future. With future destinations in such sleazy stops as Los Angelas where our little bloggy blog just a happens to be headed next.

The Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

<Next Stop: Los Angelas (No. NOT the album Rolling Eyes ) and Fire of Love. or Sepultura's Bestial Devastations! Twisted Evil >

Last edited by Repo on 09/08/2022 08:21; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/08/2022 05:02
  • Post subject:
I beg to disagree sister: Eternally Yours is maybe more blues punk but I like the real punk of their first better with the title track but especially Erotic Neurotic as my favorite.
From Eternally Yours I prefer Know Your Product (also not really their most bluesy side), a track which Ed Kuepper perfected further (meaning added more guitar) in his incredibly good follow-up band The Aints, to me still one of the quintessential guitar bands nobody knows.
Counting each one once a difficult choice between The Gun Club and Sepultura Brick wall Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2022 19:29
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
I beg to disagree sister: Eternally Yours is maybe more blues punk but I like the real punk of their first better with the title track but especially Erotic Neurotic as my favorite.
From Eternally Yours I prefer Know Your Product (also not really their most bluesy side), a track which Ed Kuepper perfected further (meaning added more guitar) in his incredibly good follow-up band The Aints, to me still one of the quintessential guitar bands nobody knows.

I'll fix that! I'll definitely add an Aints album to this particular project. I'm super impressed by all THREE of The Saints albums with Ed Kuepper!

My Rankings are likely upside down from yours! lol.

1. Prehistoric Sound (1978) < Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil >
2. Eternally Yours (1978) <Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil >
3. (I'm) Stranded (1977) < Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil >

dihansse wrote:
Counting each one once a difficult choice between The Gun Club and Sepultura Brick wall Cool

Laughing

Do you really dislike Sepultura that much?! A couple of their albums r essential metal listening! Have you ever checked out either Arise or Chaos AD?

Last edited by Repo on 09/08/2022 20:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website