Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2022 01:27
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Same number 1. The one at Number 2 I have at 6. The rest I’ve not heard but there is at least 3 I should check out.

Thanks (!), but I should probably point out that since I posted that, it has come to my attention that Kitchens of Distinction's Strange Free World LP was released in 1991, not 1990. Once again, I'm a victim of my own shoddy MP3 tagging... But in case anyone's interested, that means Reading, Writing & Arithmetic moves into the coveted #10 spot, as per my newly-posted 1990 chart.

In a way it's unfortunate, because that 1990 Top Ten was probably the most colorful for any chart I've yet posted in terms of album-cover art, but Reading, Writing & Arithmetic, while not unattractive, is just all black and grey. Sad

(Strange Free World will still be in my Top Five for 1991, if I ever get around to doing a chart for that year — though it'll be competing with Loveless and Just For a Day, among others, so it probably won't be #1.)
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2022 01:33
  • Post subject:
Holy shut, it’s happening it’s happening!!!! *insert The Office meme here*

Awesome write up as usual. With your unique flair and touch and signature. Haven’t heard Running Wild and it wasn’t on my list of albums to delve into soon - for the diary of thrash and more extreme stuff. But maybe I’ll add it to the Expansive side list of all albums to check out.

Sounds cool.

Glad we are getting rolling with 1984. Looking forward to your write ups on some of my faves… those ones on the more disgusting end of the street.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2022 04:00
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

1990 is a year I have not delved into as much as I'd like (obviously) and it may be the one year of that decade that I think I have heard the least albums from. But somewhat recently I have found some cool new faves from that year.

Here is my somewhat hastily created top 10 of 1990:

1. Seasons In The Abyss by Slayer
2. Left Hand Path by Entombed
3. Spectrum of Death by Morbid Saint

Spectrum Of Death by Morbid Saint

Holy shit, brother! This stuff is brutal! \m/
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2022 16:05
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
So let's start with something nice and simple. My top ten albums of 1990! Please share yours if you'd like!
1. Fugazi - Repeater [Post-Hardcore]
2. Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas [Dream Pop]
3. A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels ... [Hip Hop]
4. Megadeth - Rust In Peace [Thrash]
5. Depeche Mode - Violator [Synth Pop, College Rock]
6. The Posies - Dear 23 [Power Pop]
7. Ride - Nowhere [Shoegaze, Dream Pop]
8. The Breeders -Pod [Indie Rock, American Underground]
9. The Lemonheads - Lovey [Punk, American Underground, Indie Rock]
10. Sonic Youth - Goo [Indie Rock, American Underground]

great list. only three overlaps, but i really need to revisit a few of these. i recall enjoying fugazi, a tribe called quest, and the breeders to varying degrees, but it's been quite a while. my list as stands looks kind of like this:

nusrat fateh ali khan: mustt mustt [qawwali]
cocteau twins: heaven or las vegas [dream pop]
tim buckley: dream letter: live in london 1968 [singer-songwriter]
the sundays: reading, writing, and arithmetic [jangle pop]
fairuz: good friday eastern sacred songs [syriac chant]
pale saints: the comforts of madness [shoegaze]
sonic youth: goo [alternative]
daniel johnston: 1990 [singer-songwriter]
depeche mode: violator [synthpop]
the jesus lizard: head [noise rock]
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2022 00:28
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Mercury wrote:

1990 is a year I have not delved into as much as I'd like (obviously) and it may be the one year of that decade that I think I have heard the least albums from. But somewhat recently I have found some cool new faves from that year.

Here is my somewhat hastily created top 10 of 1990:

1. Seasons In The Abyss by Slayer
2. Left Hand Path by Entombed
3. Spectrum of Death by Morbid Saint

Spectrum Of Death by Morbid Saint

Holy shit, brother! This stuff is brutal! \m/

Fuck yeah! Insane how far they push thrash in terms of just brutality, unrelenting speed and heaviness, etc.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/02/2022 16:38
  • Post subject:

No Depression by Uncle Tupelo

One of the most important records of 1990; mixing alternative and country tropes in a way that were only flirted with before in the 80s with cowpunk and other scenes. Merges essentially elements of Husker Du, Replacements, and such with Cowboy Junkies and the like. Was part of the same scene as The Jayhawks, Whiskeytown, and Drive By Truckers. Essential.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2022 23:37
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

No Depression by Uncle Tupelo

One of the most important records of 1990; mixing alternative and country tropes in a way that were only flirted with before in the 80s with cowpunk and other scenes. Merges essentially elements of Husker Du, Replacements, and such with Cowboy Junkies and the like. Was part of the same scene as The Jayhawks, Whiskeytown, and Drive By Truckers. Essential.

Totally! Been listening to it all day while on a short hike and doing some yard work.

I'd say it is singularly THE most important record in the entire Alt Country scene. And I think most Alt Country heads would agree. Can you even think of an album to seriously rival its "Linchpin" status?!

It will be in MY Next Ten of 1990 for sure!

edit: just found this article on a google search => https://cigarjukebox.com/2021/08/01/199...ound-zero/
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 11/03/2022 23:53
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
I'd say it is singularly THE most important record in the entire Alt Country scene. And I think most Alt Country heads would agree. Can you even think of an album to seriously rival its "Linchpin" status?!

Hard ask. Alt-Country was a burdgeoning scene by 1988 with a few landmark records but none of them really defined what that sound was going to become quite like Uncle Tupelo's No Depression.

A few were close and certainly just as important (or nearly as such)... Guitar Town by Steve Earle had neo-traditionalist sheen with Tom Petty-esque energy, In the Pines by The Triffids had more of a post-punk/jangle pop heritage, The Trinity Session by The Cowboy Junkies is in the conversation, but other than that... Blue Earth by The Jayhawks is the only album of these bunch that comes close. Lucinda Williams's s/t was also impactful to the singer-songwriter side of the genre (sort of like Steve Earle and Lyle Lovett were) as well...
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/04/2022 00:26
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Repo wrote:

Hard ask. Alt-Country was a burdgeoning scene by 1988 with a few landmark records but none of them really defined what that sound was going to become quite like Uncle Tupelo's No Depression.

A few were close and certainly just as important (or nearly as such)... Guitar Town by Steve Earle had neo-traditionalist sheen with Tom Petty-esque energy, In the Pines by The Triffids had more of a post-punk/jangle pop heritage, The Trinity Session by The Cowboy Junkies is in the conversation, but other than that... Blue Earth by The Jayhawks is the only album of these bunch that comes close. Lucinda Williams's s/t was also impactful to the singer-songwriter side of the genre (sort of like Steve Earle and Lyle Lovett were) as well...

Of course, the roots go further back...there's this...

Sweetheart Of The Rodeo by The Byrds

...and the Gram era albums from The Flying Burrito Brothers. Michael Nesmith and Gene Clark are both important figures. Then you have bands like Jason & The Scorchers, Blue Mountain, Whiskeytown, and X (yes, X).

And I would say that if anyone involved with making decisions for The Rolling Stones ever decided to release an album of the band's best country and country influenced sides, it would show just how important they really always have been in the rise of alt-country. You ask ANY alt country musician who their influences are, and I will bet money that not a one of them fails to mention the Stones.

Can you imagine this album...

Country Honk
Far Away Eyes
Dead Flowers
Wild Horses
Torn And Frayed
Sweet Virginia
Dear Doctor
Let It Bleed
Prodigal Son
High And Dry
Moonlight Mile
No Expectations
Tumbling Dice
All Down The Line

...and you could easily double this tracklist.

This is the BLUEPRINT for No Depression. And I believe that this would be considered one of the most important alt-country albums of all time. If someone would just freakin' MAKE IT!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 11/04/2022 14:06
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I mean obviously alt-country borrows from The Byrds, Parsons, Burrito Brothers, and a whole bunch of other things. Heartland Rock is an important piece of the puzzle too, but the syntheses of all of that probably starts with No Depression and a few other records between 87 and 92. It's quite amazing how cowpunk sort of evolved into this in retrospect.
  • Visit poster's website