The Repo Zone: 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 154, 155, 156  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 12/03/2017 08:48
  • Post subject:
I’m not a big fan of the National other but I quite dig their 2017 album so all opinions are possible Wink
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2017 00:33
  • Post subject:
47. The Grinch Gets a Heart

A Very Kacey Christmas by Kacey Musgraves

It’s not that I don’t like Christmas. I do! I mean I have a Christmas tree up the entire year! For real. It’s great in the background when I’m doing my tai chi. One of my friends bought it for me last year, and I just never bothered to take it down. I get the occasional snickers from passing drunk frat boys coming from the bars, but I don’t pay them no mind. They don’t bother me.

And my deck is adorned with these cool ass christmas tree lights. They look like little twinkling, globes. They were here when I moved in. When I saw them on the back deck I just knew this random little house was going to be my home.

And I love all the gifts. Watching my kids’ eyes turning two sizes bigger come Christmas morning. I mean that shit is priceless. I even love their manipulative, cajoling little hearts this time of year. As they try to butter me up to buy them certain stuff. Circling stuff on catalogs. Asking me to take selfies of them with random stuff we pass at the mall. There’s no way they believe in Santa. It’s always ME their pleading to their little earnest hearts to. They’re just conning me that they still believe so that they get EVEN MORE presents. I just know it!

But I HATE Christmas music. I’m positively Grinch-like when it comes to that stuff. I hate how it starts in October. I hate how it’s played EVERYWHERE - at the Kwik Mart, Walmart and every fricken' other Mart you could ever think of. I hate how it seems like there’s the same fifteen standards in rotation for like thee freakin’ months of the calendar year.
But most of all, I hate that it’s non-stop. Couldn’t they just sprinkle some Christmas songs in with you know… regular songs? Why does it have to be all Christmas all the time this time of year. I mean variety people. Jeez.

And the new stuff? That’s the worst. Most of it sounds canned. Thrown out as some afterthought to make some quick bucks on the hot new artist of the year.

But NOT this here album! I got it on a whim for my kids from the library, and it’s Daddy who’s really taken a shine to it (although they love it too. especially that Hippo song. lol)

Kacey may talk a good game about growing up in trailer parks and the like, but this album is first class all the way. From the production to the arrangements to the stellar backing band, she’s assembled an incredible supporting cast. A lot of heart went into this here album. This was a love affair. This wasn’t kicked out to make a couple of extra bucks for the holiday season. No siree. Kacey loved making this album. She wanted to make this album. For herself. And it shows. It really, really shows.

From Kacey’s take on all old standards such as Have Yourself A Merry Christmas to originals like Christmas Makes Me Cry, this album has a ton of heart. There’s a warmth. A glow. I feel like I know Kacey far more after this album than her first two proper albums. I loved those first two albums but her spirit really shines through here and gives me a whole different perspective on her.

It’s the perfect album to turnaround those winter blues.

Grade: A. That’s right. A fricken’ A for a Christmas album. That’s how good it is. Merry christmas, y’all!

• Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/11/2017 18:36
  • Post subject:
  • Visit poster's website
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 12/12/2017 14:49
  • Post subject:
A Very Kacey Christmas is awesome, I'm listening to it for the second time...maybe I'll buy it <3
thanx for the rec
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 12/12/2017 21:19
  • Post subject:
this one is mellow, fluffy I would say (don't know if it's the right word..)

Air: Moon Safari

Also these two:

The Beach Boys : Sunflower

The Beach Boys : Friends

And finally:

Prefab Sprout: Andromeda Heights

Prefab Sprout: Jordan The Comeback

Smoothness at full power !
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 13:31
  • Post subject:
Thanks Gowi & pa! Glad you like it! Very Happy

@Yann: Thanks for the awesome recs. I remember checking out Prefab sprout back in the 80s and thinking they were too "mellow". lol. I wonder what I will think of them now. Will totally check them out. Peace!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2017 16:45
  • Post subject:
48. On The Road

Bert Jansch by Bert Jansch

Strollin' down the highway
I'm going to get there my way
Dusk till dawn I'm walkin'
Can hear my guitar rocking? (Strolling Down The Highway)

If Neil Cassady & the gang (from Jack Kerrouc’s classic On The Road) weren’t so into jazz - if they had been born perhaps just five years years later - Jansch is the kind of music they would have been into. Music about the inherent conflict born of being human and having human desires. Between freedom & responsibility. Safety and comfort vs. excitement and adventure and the desire for something new. The freedom to explore and not be tied down while searching for the ultimate expression of who your are. In a way, this is the folk equivalent of that Southern Rock archetype that The Allmans' & Skynyrd loved to wax poetic about - The Ramblin' Man. The Renegade. The Outlaw. “Ain’t no girl going to tie me down.”

Hey girl, oh how my heart is torn
Hey girl, now that your baby's born
What shall it cost? Is my freedom lost?
What is the price of nature's own way (Oh How Your Love is Strong)

But there’s a weariness in this album. A realization that this particular path is not the easiest. There’s an internal conflict. That maybe he’s got it all wrong. That maybe he’d been better off - happier, more content, even more self-realized - if he had just stuck back home. Married that love that he knocked up back in his early twenties. Settled down & relaxed. Been a good father. Because life on the road ain’t easy. Loneliness ain’t easy.

Because restlessness is just greed in another form. It’s an impatience. An inability to surrender to the moment and just be.

Ask me why a rambler ain't got no home
Ask me why I sit and cry alone
I wish I knew
I wish I knew
If I knew, I'd know what to do (Rambling’s Going To Be the Death of Me)

But like Cassidy and the rest of the beats, Jansch probably had no other choice. And this is THE album for embracing those regrets you’ve made along the way with a kindred spirit. For accepting that a part of you never would have been satisfied with that orthodox life. The wife you no longer found attractive. The 2.5 kids and the hour commute to that cubicle 8 floors up in the sky. It’s an album that helps you embrace the randomness of life. Accepting that life doesn’t go according to expectations. For accepting the regret. For accepting that you’ve probably made your life a whole lot more difficult than it had to be because that’s part of who you are. That’s part of being human. We’re never satisfied. Never content. And that Jansch is able to capture this uniquely human quality and the conflict born of it in a folk album is staggering. And makes it one of the true great masterpieces of 60s music.

I love what I wrote about this album a few years back when I first heard it shortly after joining BEA…

Herein lies sparse, finger-picked folk songs on acoustic guitar mostly about how one's quest for personal freedom can sometimes be the very cause of our loneliness & isolation. In a sense one's quest for freedom to find the ultimate can leave you old and exhausted at the side of the road. Wearied. Jealous of all the smart folks who were satisfied with less.

Because less is almost always more. But some of us alas need to go On The Road to learn this.

Grade: A+. Do you want a kickass record collection? Of course you do! Why else would you be here, right? Well then there are two folk albums from 60s that EVERY music aficionado NEEDS. One has to be Dylan. Duh. So take your pick between Freewheelin’ and Another Side. It doesn’t really matter. They’re both Dylan at his folk peak before he plugged in. And then get THIS. Jansch’s debut. England’s true answer to Dylan (it certainly wasn’t Donovan. Donovan was something else completely.) Jansch was already rocking on just a acoustic guitar on this here album. His guitar playing lightyears beyond what most of The Village doing across the pond. And then you’ll be set. Sated. Satisfied to have two of the best folk albums of all time.

Until you’re not.

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2017 16:23
  • Post subject:
49. Jigsaw Puzzle

Nocturne by Wild Nothing

Finally! Someone loves The Cure and 80s college rock as much as me. Thank you, Jack Tatum, for this absolute gift of an album. One giant homage to the 80s college rock of my youth. Just like me, every guitar line, every bass line, every drum fill has become a part of Jack’s DNA . The strings from Morrissey’s first solo album, early JAMC vocal stylings, the bass of MBV. It’s all here. Like pieces of an elaborate jigsaw puzzle. Rearranged. Put back together to create something entirely new. A reimagining of 80s college rock by the ultimate fan.

But, just like me, it’s mostly about The Cure. The Cure’s shadow over 80s college rock is similar to Sabbath’s over metal/stoner rock. It always comes back to them. And Robert Smith is quietly, ( very, very quietly) one of the most influential guitarists of all time. His swirling, kaleidoscopic guitar licks are all over this album. And Robert Smith makes up the bulk of the pieces of this here jigsaw puzzle.

Grade: A+. There’s really only one question when it comes to this album. If it had actually come out in 1987 instead of 2012, would it be considered the best college rock albums of all time? Because this is 80s college rock perfected.

I’m a massive fan of 80s college rock. Let’s face it - it’s what I grew up on. It’s part of my DNA. And this is EASILY some of the best college rock this boy has ever heard. It captures that winsome, romantic spirit at the heart of so much of 80s New Wave. There was a ton of hope in that music. A naive, romantic innocence. And its so great to find that spirit so alive and well here. Intact. Inviolate. And I will be returning to its well often I have a feeling. Long live the 80s! Wink

Aside: This album also reminds me that I NEED to get back into the Pale Saints. I have a feeling that they’re a big influence on JackTatum as well, but I don’t know them well enough to be sure.

• Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 12/20/2017 21:21
  • Post subject:
amazed to see there are some neo-dream-pop bands like this one. I thought it was an old band. Reminded me of Moose (and Slowdive)
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/21/2017 04:38
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
amazed to see there are some neo-dream-pop bands like this one. I thought it was an old band. Reminded me of Moose (and Slowdive)

oh, cool!

I always wanted to check out Moose. Cool
  • Visit poster's website