• Posted: 10/26/2018 01:17
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tilly wrote:
'18:2 Why.

Twin Fantasy (Face To Face) by Car Seat Headrest

Why.

What seems to be the problem? Think

It's redundant and not as good. The original is a great LO-FI indie rock. On first listen, I just don't like this one nearly as much and it seems like the exact same songs to my ears with an inferior sound. Keep in mind that I love lo-fi and early 90s indie rock. I just don't get why this was done when the original is perfect the way it is. I can't see myself ever listening to this since I will always choose Mirror To Mirror. It's production better suits the nature of the songs.

This is just my first take, but the new production/recording doesn't seem to add that much while definitely losing the charm and relatability of Mirror To Mirror.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 10/26/2018 04:52
  • Post subject:
I didn’t now Mirror to Miirror at the time it was released and when I wanted to find out more about it after I had listened to Twin Fantasy (which I loved) I didn’t find it on Apple Music so I didn’t bother; but maybe after your comments I should.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2018 05:01
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
It's redundant and not as good. The original is a great LO-FI indie rock. On first listen, I just don't like this one nearly as much and it seems like the exact same songs to my ears with an inferior sound. Keep in mind that I love lo-fi and early 90s indie rock. I just don't get why this was done when the original is perfect the way it is. I can't see myself ever listening to this since I will always choose Mirror To Mirror. It's production better suits the nature of the songs.

This is just my first take, but the new production/recording doesn't seem to add that much while definitely losing the charm and relatability of Mirror To Mirror.

I listened to the original first and loved it, but when I listened to this I also loved it. I don't really have a preference between a lo-fi sound and a polished sound, so maybe that's why I see this as an interesting new take on the material rather than a step down. I also don't usually consider whether an album is "necessary" when evaluating it, just whether it sounds good.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2018 05:03
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
I didn’t now Mirror to Miirror at the time it was released and when I wanted to find out more about it after I had listened to Twin Fantasy (which I loved) I didn’t find it on Apple Music so I didn’t bother; but maybe after your comments I should.

I just went to Allmusic to get their perspective on this new release and hopefully a backstory, and interestingly they have chosen not only not to review this album but not to even list it in their discog. Considering how encyclopedic Allmusic is, what's up with that?

Yeah, if you like early GBV, pavement, and Sebadoh (which I know u do Very Happy ), Mirror to Mirror's probably the better listen except for the huge fact that you know these songs from listening to Face to Face first. It could easily be a case of preferring the album you heard first as is so often the case with so many band's discogs nevermind an instance when its just a re-recording of the exact same songs.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2018 05:14
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tilly wrote:

I listened to the original first and loved it, but when I listened to this I also loved it. I don't really have a preference between a lo-fi sound and a polished sound, so maybe that's why I see this as an interesting new take on the material rather than a step down. I also don't usually consider whether an album is "necessary" when evaluating it, just whether it sounds good.

If I had shelled out good money for what is essentially a disc 2/bonus disc, I wouldn't be very happy about it. lol. It's fine if one is a super fan of Car Seat Headrest and want to hear a subtly different take on these songs , but for most of us, this is an entirely unnecessary release.

Most importantly, it took up one of my EIGHT listens for the week!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Looks like I now have an excuse to listen to NINE!!! Twisted Evil I believe this is called Bargaining! lol. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2018 15:37
  • Post subject:
'18:3 How?

Heaven And Earth by Kamasi Washington

How did one man single-handedly make a genre - jazz fusion - cool again?

This is great stuff. Epic, spacey, jazz fusion. The playing is impeccable across the board. And I was wrong to blow him off a couple of years ago as a step below the jazz fusion greats of the late 60s/early 70s. With this release I realize he's not. And certainly this belongs in the conversation with my favorite jazz fusion albums.

Hard to see any album beating this out for (my*) 2018 AOTY.

*the only AOTY that really matters. Wink
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 10/27/2018 16:38
  • Post subject:
It's a great album but could you give some of my AOTY albums* a try

*only my AOTY matter Wink
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2018 16:48
  • Post subject:
#AllAOTYsMatter

I am so sorry...
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 10/27/2018 18:02
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
#AllAOTYsMatter

I am so sorry...

of course they do Bay
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2018 02:00
  • Post subject:
'18:4 7 For Seven

7 by Beach House

Beach House prove that they are the most dependable band in indie rock right now with a batting average that would make Mookie Betts blush. There's really not much to say with this album. If you like Beach House, you will like this. Sometimes things are just that simple.
  • Visit poster's website