Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 154, 155, 156  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/30/2018 10:13
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
'18:4 7 For Seven

7 by Beach House

Beach House prove that they are the most dependable band in indie rock right now with a batting average that would make Mookie Betts blush. There's really not much to say with this album. If you like Beach House, you will like this. Sometimes things are just that simple.

Yes, this exactly. I find all there albums are really strong, maybe without having an outright classic. I really like how this one is structured; it seems to build and get better as it goes along towards a great finale.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2018 17:23
  • Post subject:
'18:5 Boreas

Konoyo by Tim Hecker

Hecker rules the atmosphere. A wind god, our emotions are just puppets for him to play. This is the perfect album for today - Halloween. It is dark & subtly frightening. Ambient & atmospheric. If you run out of candy tonight, throw this on. It just might be enough to deter further trick-or-treaters from your door.

First Impression: B+
RIYL: Intense ambient music that's just a bit frightening and unnerving.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 11/02/2018 01:48
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Tilly wrote:

7 by Beach House

Beach House prove that they are the most dependable band in indie rock right now with a batting average that would make Mookie Betts blush. There's really not much to say with this album. If you like Beach House, you will like this. Sometimes things are just that simple.

Yes, this exactly. I find all there albums are really strong, maybe without having an outright classic. I really like how this one is structured; it seems to build and get better as it goes along towards a great finale.

I love this but are we going to glaze over the ways they messed with their formula here? It’s astonishing. I honestly can’t wait until February to finally see them.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2018 01:56
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
'18:3 How?

Heaven And Earth by Kamasi Washington

How did one man single-handedly make a genre - jazz fusion - cool again?

This is great stuff. Epic, spacey, jazz fusion. The playing is impeccable across the board. And I was wrong to blow him off a couple of years ago as a step below the jazz fusion greats of the late 60s/early 70s. With this release I realize he's not. And certainly this belongs in the conversation with my favorite jazz fusion albums.

Hard to see any album beating this out for (my*) 2018 AOTY.

*the only AOTY that really matters. Wink

I do want to mention that though this album belongs to Kamasi Washington, there are plenty of other people helping him making this record. And it shows because this album is brilliant. Best album of the year. Also if you haven't Tilly go listen to his first album The Epic from 2015. Another phenomenal album. Whenever album 3 comes out, I'll be hyped.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2018 04:42
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Tilly wrote:

7 by Beach House

I love this but are we going to glaze over the ways they messed with their formula here? It’s astonishing. I honestly can’t wait until February to finally see them.

School us, brother. Lead us to the promised land! I'm all ears. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2018 12:55
  • Post subject:
'18:6 Naut

The Sciences by Sleep

I never thought this day would happen. But I'm burned out. Saturated with this particular sound. I loved Sleep in the 90s. Along with Earth and Electric Wizard and a score of other bands taking the sound of Sabbath and skewing it, muddying it into dronish ambient heaven & hell for Sabbath lovers such as myself. Back in the 90s, Sabbath simply were not cool. No one understood how they could be my favorite band. So it was fresh and exciting. But, now? Their sound is ubiquitous. It's everywhere. And honestly other bands are doing more interesting things with it than Sleep at this point in time. Plus, I much prefer Sleep's earlier albums such as Vol 1, Jerusalem, and my favorite Holy Mountain. It's certainly not a bad album. But I literally have about twenty other albums that mine Sabbath rifts in a similar fashion. Including four others by Sleep alone.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/04/2018 16:40
  • Post subject:
'18:7 Old Dog. New Tricks

Double Negative by Low

It's not without precedent. In fact it's sort of the new thing in the indie world. Indie bands embellishing their sound with electronica. This is closest to what Sufjan Stevens did with his material with Age of Adz. It's still Low just like that was still Sufjan. It's not the seismic shift in sound that Radiohead pulled off transitioning from OK Computer to Kid A. But, it is great! And it has rekindled my enthusiasm for Low. I'll now have to dive into some of their other later efforts as well.

Grade: A-
RIYL: Sufjan's Age of Adz
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2018 20:56
  • Post subject:
'18:8 Body Language

Isolation by Kali Uchis

This is it. The seed I needed to get enthused for modern R&B. Highly addictive. Seductive. Versatile. Diverse. Pretty much a perfect R&B album that appealed to both my kids and me. Definitely an album that will be in the top ten of many critics list in a couple of months. If only I could bet on that stuff!

First Impression: A

Last edited by Repo on 11/07/2018 21:07; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2018 21:06
  • Post subject:
My Rankings of Last Week Today: 2018 (Week 2)

Essential Listens for The Year
Kamasi Washington - Heaven & Earth
Beach House - 7
Kayli Uchis - Isolation
Pusha T - Daytona

Highly Recommended
Low - Double Negative
Tim Hecker - Konoyo

Skippable
Sleep - The Sciences (Listen to Holy Mountain or Jerusalem instead
Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy: Face to Face (Listen to the original Mirror to Mirror instead)
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/09/2018 10:39
  • Post subject:
1. What's Going On

Urban Hang Suite by Maxwell

I don't have a lot listening experience with Modern R&B. But I'd challenge anyone to tell me a better modern R&B album than this. Maxwell is often credited with starting the whole Modern R&B sound back in the mid-90s and this debut is head turning stuff guaranteed to keep you warm under the sheets come this winter. This is (fingers-crossed) what will be going on the turntable at my house on those extra cold nights.

Grade: A+ (essential)
Year: 1996: top 10 material for the year easy
  • Visit poster's website