Greatest Films of All Time (Mid-Revision)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic :: View next topic
matbezlima

• Posted: 04/08/2022 17:40
  • Post subject:
Did you like my last post in this thread in the previous page?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/08/2022 19:49
  • Post subject:
matbezlima wrote:
Did you like my last post in this thread in the previous page?

Yeah man, thank you for sharing your views. Avery was tremendously influential as an animator and animated comedy, most likely drawing from the likes of Chaplin, Keaton (the Marx Bros?). But of course, carved his own as a cartoon artist with his special flair for ultra-kinetic-dexterous, wacky-crazy-goofy-loony, hilariously violent/conniving characters that would go on to become a staple in many cartoons/animated films thereafter (and in contrast to Disney's generally more "loving" and "Christian" animal characters).

I've been very busy on putting together a "Best Animated Films" list, plus revisiting various music and paintings in between. You may find my "Top 10+" thread over in the Music Diaries forum interesting because I am especially featuring this list (temporarily) as I am updating it, revisiting animated films, seeing some new ones, etc. And some users have been providing recommendations, discussion, etc, along the way.

You can see the most current (in progress) "Best Animated Films" list here: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...566#647566

Note that I bump it to the front every few days or so when it gets a bit behind the conversation...

You can see the most current "Top 10+" list and ratings updates here: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...069#647069

Note that I tend to update to a new list every 1-3 weeks depending on how busy I am, which also "bumps" it to the front to start anew (on a new week or weeks)....

You can find out what the hell the log is all about at the beginning of the thread here: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...094#571094

Of course, you're welcome to continue discussing films here too as it is the most precise forum to do so. I just thought I would mention the above because it is right up your alley and I happen to be featuring animated films in my diary at this time (which covers mostly music: classical, rock, jazz, but also pretty consistently includes films and paintings too). I'll most likely be on the animated kick for a little while longer (but it's hard to say for sure how long).

Eventually this Animated list (once a bit more filled out) will be transferred over to this "Movies and TV" forum, probably merged with this "Greatest Films" list along with other "genre" lists, that will be featured just below it.
  • Visit poster's website
matbezlima

• Posted: 04/08/2022 21:42
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Yeah man, thank you for sharing your views. Avery was tremendously influential as an animator and animated comedy, most likely drawing from the likes of Chaplin, Keaton (the Marx Bros?). But of course, carved his own as a cartoon artist with his special flair for ultra-kinetic-dexterous, wacky-crazy-goofy-loony, hilariously violent/conniving characters that would go on to become a staple in many cartoons/animated films thereafter (and in contrast to Disney's generally more "loving" and "Christian" animal characters).

I've been very busy on putting together a "Best Animated Films" list, plus revisiting various music and paintings in between. You may find my "Top 10+" thread over in the Music Diaries forum interesting because I am especially featuring this list (temporarily) as I am updating it, revisiting animated films, seeing some new ones, etc. And some users have been providing recommendations, discussion, etc, along the way.

You can see the most current (in progress) "Best Animated Films" list here: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...566#647566

Note that I bump it to the front every few days or so when it gets a bit behind the conversation...

You can see the most current "Top 10+" list and ratings updates here: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...069#647069

Note that I tend to update to a new list every 1-3 weeks depending on how busy I am, which also "bumps" it to the front to start anew (on a new week or weeks)....

You can find out what the hell the log is all about at the beginning of the thread here: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...094#571094

Of course, you're welcome to continue discussing films here too as it is the most precise forum to do so. I just thought I would mention the above because it is right up your alley and I happen to be featuring animated films in my diary at this time (which covers mostly music: classical, rock, jazz, but also pretty consistently includes films and paintings too). I'll most likely be on the animated kick for a little while longer (but it's hard to say for sure how long).

Eventually this Animated list (once a bit more filled out) will be transferred over to this "Movies and TV" forum, probably merged with this "Greatest Films" list along with other "genre" lists, that will be featured just below it.

Huge thanks! I loved this reply, and your comments on Tex Avery are also spot-on! If I'm not mistaken, The General from Buster Keaton was a huge favorite for Avery. He also understood how within the animation medium, you can and often should exaggerate the gags far more than what live-action can. To quote Avery: "you can't out Chaplin in a bottle".

Chaplin was very reverential towards animation, having called Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs the best film ever made when it was released, and also jokingly saying that cartoon stars were gonna put him out of business!

I'll also check out your lists of animated films in those links too! It's also a great way for me to discover many cool recommendations! Cheers, I wish you the best!
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/04/2023 20:39
  • Post subject:
Welles' mutilated masterpiece restored to a semblance of its original glory? The work that he put into this is quite impressive and the results very intriguing:

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/03/11848396...-ambersons
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2023 23:33
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Welles' mutilated masterpiece restored to a semblance of its original glory? The work that he put into this is quite impressive and the results very intriguing:

I prefer if an original negative was unearthed. There's a rumor there's one in Brazil. But this is the next best thing, I suppose. I think it's a good thing an enthusiast is going this far to reconstruct a lost classic, and I'm curious if/how it turns out. Didn't Peter Jackson do the something similar to resurrect a lost scene from King Kong?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/05/2023 04:25
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

I prefer if an original negative was unearthed. There's a rumor there's one in Brazil. But this is the next best thing, I suppose. I think it's a good thing an enthusiast is going this far to reconstruct a lost classic, and I'm curious if/how it turns out. Didn't Peter Jackson do the something similar to resurrect a lost scene from King Kong?

Agreed, and that would be an incredible find if someone came up with it. Along with the original Greed, it would be the ultimate holy grail of lost film.

What I like about his reconstruction is he seems to have been very careful to honor the mood/tone and movement/angles of Welles. The animation isn't going to match Welles/Cortez cinematography but if these early teasers are an indication of what he has done across the whole, then they seem to be a promising, perhaps "post-impressionistic-esque" rendition, that approximates a similar enough tone to at least give the viewer a sense and estimate of what the whole was really like in its original form (or at least I hope). Even if it isn't entirely successful by the end product, it still might prove to be a touchstone for a future, more successful effort.

Not sure about Jackson remaking a lost scene from King Kong, unless you just mean it was some shots or a scene in his big budget King Kong remake with Naomi Watts?
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2023 05:58
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Not sure about Jackson remaking a lost scene from King Kong, unless you just mean it was some shots or a scene in his big budget King Kong remake with Naomi Watts?

He's referring to this:

Link

This scene where the sailors trying to rescue Ann Darrow (Fay Wray), having been dumped into a ravine by Kong, were then attacked and eaten by giant spiders was excised from the original 1933 film as too disturbing, and after years of searching for a print containing that scene for the 2005 digital restoration, they gave up and declared it "lost forever." Jackson made one himself instead, using a combination of live action, stop-motion and CGI "tuned" to look like the original film, though it's fairly easy to see which bits were added.

Live-action+CGI "replacement" footage for lost scenes in The Magnificent Ambersons would require a decent-sized budget, at least until AI has reached the point of being able to do it without the live action. In the meantime I can't imagine anyone footing the bill for it — it's a great film, but there's just not enough market demand to justify it. In fact there wouldn't be enough market demand for King Kong now either, if it were being proposed today. There was a short window of opportunity between the point where CGI made it possible to do (starting in the late 90's) and strong DVD sales made it economically viable (ending in the late-oughts), so fans of giant spiders at the bottom of ravines just got lucky with the timing, really.

Maybe some billionaire Ambersons fan will take it on as a hobby project someday, though — it would make more economic sense than, say, buying Twitter for $44 billion just to run it into the ground and turn it into a penny stock.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/05/2023 16:45
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
He's referring to this:

Link

This scene where the sailors trying to rescue Ann Darrow (Fay Wray), having been dumped into a ravine by Kong, were then attacked and eaten by giant spiders was excised from the original 1933 film as too disturbing, and after years of searching for a print containing that scene for the 2005 digital restoration, they gave up and declared it "lost forever." Jackson made one himself instead, using a combination of live action, stop-motion and CGI "tuned" to look like the original film, though it's fairly easy to see which bits were added.

Live-action+CGI "replacement" footage for lost scenes in The Magnificent Ambersons would require a decent-sized budget, at least until AI has reached the point of being able to do it without the live action. In the meantime I can't imagine anyone footing the bill for it — it's a great film, but there's just not enough market demand to justify it. In fact there wouldn't be enough market demand for King Kong now either, if it were being proposed today. There was a short window of opportunity between the point where CGI made it possible to do (starting in the late 90's) and strong DVD sales made it economically viable (ending in the late-oughts), so fans of giant spiders at the bottom of ravines just got lucky with the timing, really.

Maybe some billionaire Ambersons fan will take it on as a hobby project someday, though — it would make more economic sense than, say, buying Twitter for $44 billion just to run it into the ground and turn it into a penny stock.

Thanks Madhattan!

Re: Ambersons ... We can hope Elon takes you up on that, maybe a tweet to him is in order?
  • Visit poster's website