Greatest Films of All Time (Mid-Revision)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/30/2018 19:55
  • Post subject:
Recent updates...

FAMILIAR FILMS - RE-RATED:
Landscape in the Mist - Theo Angelopoulos (1988) 8.3/10 to 8.4/10
Ace in the Hole - Billy Wilder (1951) [aka, "The Big Carnival"] Not Rated to 7.8/10
Badlands - Terrence Malick (1973) 7.4/10 to 7.8/10
The Apartment - Billy Wilder (1960) 7.3/10 to 7.6/10
Some Like it Hot - Billy Wilder (1959) 7.4/10 to 7.6/10
Alien - Ridley Scott (1979) 7.4/10 to 7.5/10
Peeping Tom - Michael Powell (1960) 7.3/10 to 7.4/10
To Be or Not To Be - Ernst Lubitsch (1942) 7.3/10 to 7.4/10
Manhattan - Woody Allen (1979) 7.4/10 to 7.3/10
Casablanca - Michael Curtiz (1942) Not Rated to 7.3/10
Fury - Fritz Lang (1936) Not Rated to 7.0/10
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/31/2018 18:27
  • Post subject:
@ Facetious

Re: Cassevetes

I just finished Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore which Id watched a bit of years ago but never actually completed before. An excellent film much in the style of Cassavetes, with a bit more visual flair and progressive change of scene than most of his (Cassavetes') films. I rated it a 7.3/10 but there may be more to be studied in terms of Scorsese's camera movement and visual sense, which could have a greater correlation to Burstyn's state of mind and emotional episodes than seems immediately obvious. Scorsese's camera movement (at times) seems less "purposeful" than usual, but in thinking about it during and after the film, this may be entirely part of his plan and (if attended to with full attention) may prove to be fully congruous and in step with the main character's spontaneous emotions, states, predicaments and so forth.

Burstyn's performance is really great, deservedly heralded.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2018 06:14
  • Post subject:
In case anyone was curious how I did on my Criterion haul, here are my blurays. Imagine this shelf but only half as full, with DVDs filling out the half shelf (and the third shelf empty). That's where I was 3 weeks ago. Now my Criterion DVDs (which include a handful of new buys) are on a different shelf. Anyway I'm probably gonna get another $150-200 in stuff tomorrow to finish out. I still need some obvious individual films (His Girl Friday and Mulholland Dr come to mind) but I'll probably wind up getting the Before Trilogy and the Zatoichi box set which is considered by many their finest release. Box sets seem to be the way I should have gone all along but I'm nonetheless thrilled with all the new Powell & Pressburger and Fassbinder I got.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/05/2018 14:38
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
In case anyone was curious how I did on my Criterion haul, here are my blurays. Imagine this shelf but only half as full, with DVDs filling out the half shelf (and the third shelf empty). That's where I was 3 weeks ago. Now my Criterion DVDs (which include a handful of new buys) are on a different shelf. Anyway I'm probably gonna get another $150-200 in stuff tomorrow to finish out. I still need some obvious individual films (His Girl Friday and Mulholland Dr come to mind) but I'll probably wind up getting the Before Trilogy and the Zatoichi box set which is considered by many their finest release. Box sets seem to be the way I should have gone all along but I'm nonetheless thrilled with all the new Powell & Pressburger and Fassbinder I got.

Wow! Hell of a collection!
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2018 17:48
  • Post subject: I ove Movies but my list is not very traditional at all
My list hasn't changed all that much in many years: This a favorites list Id have to think about a "best" list

1. Fast Times At Ridgemont High
2. Dazed And Confused
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Star Wars
6. Mallrats
7. Revenge Of The Sith
8. Midnight Madness
9. Nice Dreams
10. Vacation
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/05/2018 21:17
  • Post subject: Re: I ove Movies but my list is not very traditional at all
glynspsa wrote:
My list hasn't changed all that much in many years: This a favorites list Id have to think about a "best" list

1. Fast Times At Ridgemont High
2. Dazed And Confused
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Star Wars
6. Mallrats
7. Revenge Of The Sith
8. Midnight Madness
9. Nice Dreams
10. Vacation

Right on Smile

Just a hunch, but you might dig the excessive, absurd, epic, extreme Love Exposure. One of the funniest and most outlandish films of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2018 02:49
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Applause respect.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2018 04:54
  • Post subject:
Thanks guys. I just ordered 6 more individual titles (Before Trilogy was out of stock and I don't like waiting): It Happened One Night, His Girl Friday, Dr. Strangelove, House ('77), Brazil and Mulholland Dr. A few (mostly) English language films for easy watching (ie when the kids are awake or I'm messing around on my phone not worrying about missing a subtitle or a key piece of camerawork - at least in the case of the comedies - I honestly haven't gotten much time to myself to watch foreign language stuff uninterrupted lately but now that summer is about over that should change)

Speaking of easy watching, I popped open Dazed & Confused. Very nice packaging with this release, with a great booklet and poster. Cool to see it in your top ten there. Especially second to Fast Times at Ridgemont High. That's probably my favorite teen comedy ever (and D&C very well may be second). As I was shopping around I ran across the Criterion release of Election. Didn't know they did that one so I almost bought it on impulse (surely it's a recent release; hopefully it stays in print a while), but that's another modern high school comedy that has become an American classic in my eyes.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2018 01:32
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I just ordered 6 more individual titles: It Happened One Night, His Girl Friday, Dr. Strangelove, House ('77), Brazil and Mulholland Dr.

How many Criterions have you bought overall this summer?

Quote:
As I was shopping around I ran across the Criterion release of Election. (surely it's a recent release; hopefully it stays in print a while)

It is a recent release, and it shouldn't go out of print at all. Criterions rarely go OOP, except the ones that were licensed from StudioCanal (big Franco-British company) and I believe all those titles are all OOP already. If you have any questions about titles going OOP, hit me up because I have a lot of knowledge of Criterion I rarely get to use.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2018 04:01
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
How many Criterions have you bought overall this summer?

Quote:
As I was shopping around I ran across the Criterion release of Election. (surely it's a recent release; hopefully it stays in print a while)

It is a recent release, and it shouldn't go out of print at all. Criterions rarely go OOP, except the ones that were licensed from StudioCanal (big Franco-British company) and I believe all those titles are all OOP already. If you have any questions about titles going OOP, hit me up because I have a lot of knowledge of Criterion I rarely get to use.

If I'm not mistaken I picked up 54 items during the sale. Some were box sets so it's 62 films total (unless you consider each episode of Berlin Alexanderplatz and Dekalog as separate films).

Regarding OOP criterions, it does appear StudioCanal is related to the ones I know of. Thanks for the insight; definitely curious what all they own. Pretty sure they have The Third Man, Contempt, Pierrot Le Fou and Last Year at Marienbad (I own the former two on Criterion DVD; would love to have the latter two on BluRay but the OOP discs are going for like $100 minimum).

Edit: They also have Grand Illusion if I'm not mistaken. I picked up the oop dvd a few years back for around $40. Spine #1.

What about Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein? To my knowledge those aren't StudioCanal but I may be wrong.

Re-Edit: How about Peeping Tom?
  • Visit poster's website