Greatest Films of All Time (Mid-Revision)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2018 08:31
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
If I'm not mistaken I picked up 54 items during the sale. Some were box sets so it's 62 films total (unless you consider each episode of Berlin Alexanderplatz and Dekalog as separate films).

Impressive! I've never bought that many in such a short period of time. Once I bought 14 single titles, 2 Eclipse sets and Rossellini's War Trilogy in one online order, but that's the most Criterions I've bought in a short span.

How many Criterion BDs you own before your buying spree?

Quote:
Regarding OOP criterions, it does appear StudioCanal is related to the ones I know of. Thanks for the insight; definitely curious what all they own.

What about Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein? To my knowledge those aren't StudioCanal but I may be wrong.

You're right about the Warhol titles -- they went OOP in the DVD era, years before Criterion entered the Bluray market. So did Woo's The Killer and Hardboiled and several others. Some have come back recently.

[Sam Elliott V.O.] Lemme tell you about the StudioCanal bloodbath of 2010. Toward the end of 2009. it was just a movie here, a movie there -- Nights of Cabiria, Ran, Contempt and the biggest of 'em all, The Third Man. Then came the February 2nd massacre:

Alphaville
Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy (Eclipse Series 6)
Le corbeau
Coup de torchon
Diary of a Country Priest
The Fallen Idol
Forbidden Games
Grand Illusion
Le jour se lève
The Orphic Trilogy (Jean Cocteau)
Peeping Tom
Pierrot le fou
Port of Shadows
Quai des Orfèvres
The Small Back Room
The Tales of Hoffmann
Trafic
Le trou
The White Sheik

We barely had a chance to recover before a second round of bloodletting in June:

Diary of a Chambermaid
The Milky Way
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
The Phantom of Liberty
That Obscure Object of Desire
The Man Who Fell to Earth
A Woman is a Woman
Bob le Flambeur
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Billy Liar
Touchez pas au grisbi

Since then, these StudioCanal titles went OOP. Don't think there are any left now:

Army of Shadows
Le cercle rouge
Le doulos
Leon Morin, Priest
Last Year at Marienbad
Mafioso

Except for The Third Man (which I bought later), Ran and Nights of Cabiria, I was able to score most of the ones I wanted. The StudioCanal affair and Paramount putting most of their back catalog OOP the same year (they brought most of it back in 2013) was what motivated me to become a serious DVD collector. Before then I was more casual.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2018 12:25
  • Post subject:
Nice. I have been a big fan of collecting on and off throughout life but never really kept up with who gets what and for how long. I know I was pissed when I went broke a couple years back just to get online and find out how much of it is OOP and going for 50-100x what I sold it to the pawn shop for. So as of late I havent gotten rid of anything. But I never let go of a single Criterion. I don't remember the exact order but I know Third Man, Hamlet, M, and 8 1/2 have all been in my collection for roughly 15 years.

In regards to how many I had before, I stopped counting a while back so it's hard to say, although I haven't really Criterion binged in 3 years or so. To get an idea, subtract about 51 items from the shelf pictured (I bought a few DVDs: the aforementioned Berlin Alexanderplatz, Onibaba and Early Summer). To be honest there's nothing I bought that I haven't seen yet (I used Hulu A LOT when they had Criterion) but yeah I probably spent a grand or so in about a 3 week span on everything. Picked up a couple other things in the time frame (Metropolis, Suspiria, and two novels by Nick Cave) but yeah I Criterion'd the hell out. And I'm hooked. When did you say the sales take place?
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2018 06:10
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
And I'm hooked. When did you say the sales take place?

The Criterion site has 50% off flash sales twice a year in October and February. When you've spent $500 on the site, you get a $50 giftcard (so 10% off if you buy from them enough) and no tax in most states. They only last a day-and-a-half, I think, and popular new titles sometimes sell out fast. If you're interested, you should subscribe to their newsletter (if you're not getting it already), because I could pm you a heads up, but the sale may be half over by then.

I've actually been cutting back on buying movies in the last year or two, after collecting pretty seriously for seven or so years. One reason is Barnes & Noble used to allow coupon codes (15%-30% off) during Criterion sales and they stopped two years ago. I was also spending a little above my means and have enough movies to keep me busy for decades.

badseed wrote:
To be honest there's nothing I bought that I haven't seen yet (I used Hulu A LOT when they had Criterion)

Avoiding blind-buying stuff is smart. I usually don't blind-buy, but sometimes when I see a good used deal on something I haven't seen I pounce, because I may not see that particular deal again. Yeah, the Hulu Criterion channel was great -- I devoured a lot of movies that way. Now that library's on Filmstruck, but you can't get free month deals the way you sometimes can with Hulu and the streaming quality -- depending on your device and internet service -- isn't quite as good.

So my basic point was that outside of StudioCanal-licensed films (StudioCanal has the third biggest film library in the world), only around 3% of Criterions have gone OOP, so it's not something you generally have to worry about. However, if you're interested in the America Lost and Found: BBS Story box set, I'd get it now, because apparently it'll be going OOP -- Five Easy Pieces and Easy Rider are available individually.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2018 18:38
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
The Criterion site has 50% off flash sales twice a year in October and February. When you've spent $500 on the site, you get a $50 giftcard (so 10% off if you buy from them enough) and no tax in most states. They only last a day-and-a-half, I think, and popular new titles sometimes sell out fast. If you're interested, you should subscribe to their newsletter (if you're not getting it already), because I could pm you a heads up, but the sale may be half over by then.

I've actually been cutting back on buying movies in the last year or two, after collecting pretty seriously for seven or so years. One reason is Barnes & Noble used to allow coupon codes (15%-30% off) during Criterion sales and they stopped two years ago. I was also spending a little above my means and have enough movies to keep me busy for decades.

Avoiding blind-buying stuff is smart. I usually don't blind-buy, but sometimes when I see a good used deal on something I haven't seen I pounce, because I may not see that particular deal again. Yeah, the Hulu Criterion channel was great -- I devoured a lot of movies that way. Now that library's on Filmstruck, but you can't get free month deals the way you sometimes can with Hulu and the streaming quality -- depending on your device and internet service -- isn't quite as good.

So my basic point was that outside of StudioCanal-licensed films (StudioCanal has the third biggest film library in the world), only around 3% of Criterions have gone OOP, so it's not something you generally have to worry about. However, if you're interested in the America Lost and Found: BBS Story box set, I'd get it now, because apparently it'll be going OOP -- Five Easy Pieces and Easy Rider are available individually.

Been thinking about that set actually. Easy Rider is one of my favorite films and I've got it on non-Criterion Blu Ray. Aside from Five Easy Pieces the only other film in that set I'm a big fan of is Last Picture Show. You'd think it would get a solo release at some point.

I mainly just went through financial turmoil for roughly 2.5 years so my collecting, and paid streaming, took a hault for a long time. Besides that I've always gone back and forth between binging on movies and music, but with all the music streaming services I rarely pay for physical copies of music anymore, which is kinda sad in a way.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2018 06:05
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Been thinking about that set actually. Easy Rider is one of my favorite films and I've got it on non-Criterion Blu Ray. Aside from Five Easy Pieces the only other film in that set I'm a big fan of is Last Picture Show. You'd think it would get a solo release at some point.

You would think, and I do think, that it'll get an individual release after the set falls OOP. Sony -- the owner of all the films in the set -- and Criterion have a very good relationship. Sony has no interest in putting it out on Bluray themselves, otherwise they would've done it a long time ago.

Quote:
I've always gone back and forth between binging on movies and music, but with all the music streaming services I rarely pay for physical copies of music anymore, which is kinda sad in a way.

I was more movie-oriented for the last decade, till a year-and-a-half ago, when I started focusing on music again with a vengeance -- becoming a member here was a part of that. I have been buying CDs a little more in the last year, but it's either stuff that's not on the streaming services or really cheap. A little sad, maybe, but it's also sensible not to spend money when you don't have to, put it towards what's most important to you or gets you the biggest bang for your buck.

I did buy Dr. Strangelove from Amazon last month and nabbed a few other Criterions used a few months ago.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/12/2018 17:54
  • Post subject:
For those interested, I've now included a list of 7s (and a few 6.5s) that I feel have a solid or better chance at an upgrade to 7.3+ upon further evaluation/analysis. This section is listed below the main (7.3+) list (first post first page).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/13/2018 17:20
  • Post subject:
Recent updates...

FAMILIAR FILMS - RE-RATED:
What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? - Robert Aldrich (1962) 8.0/10 to 8.3/10
The Birds - Alfred Hitchcock (1963) 7.8/10 to 8.3/10
8 1/2 - Federico Fellini (1963) 7.9/10 to 8.3/10
La Dolce Vita - Federico Fellini (1960) 7.9/10 to 8.3/10
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - Sam Peckinpah (1974) 7.6/10 to 7.8/10
Walkabout - Nicolas Roeg (1971) 7.3/10 to 7.7/10
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - John Ford (1962) 7.3/10 to 7.5/10
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - John Ford (1962) 7.3/10 to 7.5/10
La Strada - Federico Fellini (1954) 7.3/10 to 7.5/10
L'Avventura - Michelangelo Antionini (1960) 7.2/10 to 7.4/10
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore - Martin Scorsese (1974) Not Rated to 7.3/10
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/14/2018 21:21
  • Post subject:
After revisiting Ghostbusters, I removed it from consideration for 7.3/10. However, I do want to give it props for being one of the great comedies of the 80s -- and for being soooooooo 80s (definitely a nostalgia trip!). And far superior to most spoofs. An irresistable blast of ridiculous comedy that simultaneously both re-enacts and spoofs the horror genre, sci-fi, disaster/apocalypse films, New York and its citizens, the super hero genre, and King Kong/Godzilla monster movies. An idiotic masterpiece in its own way. Bill Murray, Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver are particularly great.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2018 03:25
  • Post subject:
Back to Criterion for a minute, they announced their November titles, and besides the aforementioned Bergman set, we're getting David Byrne's True Stories (never heard of it), Mizoguchi's The Crucified Lovers (under the title A Story from Chikamatsu [hell yes], Some Like It Hot (bit of a surprise there, seems Wilder's MGM catalogue is getting spread out amongst different companies), and probably most important of all, The Magnificent Ambersons. That film has had such a troubled history of release, so I'll be scooping it up immediately.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/17/2018 18:37
  • Post subject:
@badseed

Thank you for the update. Can't wait for Ambersons especially!
  • Visit poster's website