What are you reading lately?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/16/2021 08:38
  • Post subject: What are you reading lately?
I’m onto the second book of the Northern Lights trilogy, the Subtle Knife. I’m enjoying this a lot more than the tv series. Pullman is a captivating writer, brilliant really.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2021 10:37
  • Post subject: Re: What are you reading lately?
theblueboy wrote:
I’m onto the second book of the Northern Lights trilogy, the Subtle Knife. I’m enjoying this a lot more than the tv series. Pullman is a captivating writer, brilliant really.

Been a while since I read this series. I heard Pullman is in the middle of writing another trilogy in the same setting, so I might check that out.

I used to read a ton, a few years ago I had an hour on the train twice a day, and I would fly through books. Not much of a commute these days, so my reading has unfortunately stagnated.

That said, I just finished Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell, a fictional account of the lives of Shakespeare's wife and children, including his son who died to what is believed to be bubonic plague.

Currently reading There, There by Tommy Orange. I've just started it but my understanding is that it's about a variety of Native Americans living in Oakland. While the stories are fictional, the preface is an essay by Orange which is distinctly non-fiction.
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/16/2021 17:41
EyeKanFly wrote:
Been a while since I read this series. I heard Pullman is in the middle of writing another trilogy in the same setting, so I might check that out.

I used to read a ton, a few years ago I had an hour on the train twice a day, and I would fly through books. Not much of a commute these days, so my reading has unfortunately stagnated.

That said, I just finished Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell, a fictional account of the lives of Shakespeare's wife and children, including his son who died to what is believed to be bubonic plague.

Currently reading There, There by Tommy Orange. I've just started it but my understanding is that it's about a variety of Native Americans living in Oakland. While the stories are fictional, the preface is an essay by Orange which is distinctly non-fiction.

Yeah, Pullman is well worth reading. I read one of the Sally Lockhart novels and his version of Grimm fairy tales as well. Both good. Though i guess its Northern Lights that is considered his masterpiece. Somehow it passed me by untill recently. I’ll watch out for that other trilogy as well.
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2021 01:50
theblueboy wrote:
Yeah, Pullman is well worth reading. I read one of the Sally Lockhart novels and his version of Grimm fairy tales as well. Both good. Though i guess its Northern Lights that is considered his masterpiece. Somehow it passed me by untill recently. I’ll watch out for that other trilogy as well.

I've heard of Sally Lockhart but didn't realize they were written before His Dark Materials. Pullman's take on Grimm ought to be interesting as well. And now I've gone down a Pullman rabbit hole and added "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ" to my backlog. Judging by Pullman's takes on theology and organized religion, that could be fascinating and scathing.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/17/2021 10:54
theblueboy wrote:

Oh man remember reading those books 10 years ago and loving them, but I've always had the feeling it's more of a teenage fantasy writing than "serious" sci fi. Wonder if I would enjoy them today. I'm currently reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and it's completely different from the movie in many aspects. Read Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs last month, both of those are excellent crime stories.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/17/2021 14:39
LedZep wrote:
Oh man remember reading those books 10 years ago and loving them, but I've always had the feeling it's more of a teenage fantasy writing than "serious" sci fi. Wonder if I would enjoy them today. I'm currently reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and it's completely different from the movie in many aspects. Read Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs last month, both of those are excellent crime stories.

I think young adult books can be really good for all ages, based on Pullman’s novels at least. His storytelling reminds me of Charles Dickens quite a bit as well, which is a pretty serious point of comparison anyway! I think coming of age stories are interesting in books, tv and film really…Stranger Things is probably aimed at teenagers but everyone watches it and it gets heaps of praise.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 08/18/2021 16:23
  • Post subject:
Just finished the A Court of Thorns and Roses Saga last week and it's quite fun to come back to read YA fiction.
Right now, just in the middle of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2021 20:46
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
Just finished the A Court of Thorns and Roses Saga last week and it's quite fun to come back to read YA fiction.
Right now, just in the middle of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I sort of enjoyed A Court of Thorns and Roses but never picked up the sequels. I don't know if I'd still enjoy more of it though, does it get any better over the course of the series?

I've never been big on autobiographies but May Angelou's is a great read. I'm probably gonna pick up some nonfiction once I finish There, There.
rockbluesfolkjaz

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2021 16:05
  • Post subject:
I read between 25 and 35 novels a year. I'm now in a classic stage. I finished East of Eden a couple of weeks ago. I'm now midway through To Kill A Mocking Bird.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 09/01/2021 17:10
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
I sort of enjoyed A Court of Thorns and Roses but never picked up the sequels. I don't know if I'd still enjoy more of it though, does it get any better over the course of the series?

It just gets better, the second book is the best IMO and it sort of portrays an interesting character development for Feyre, the first three books are worth it, the other ones are good but pick up only if you're interested in the story