Best Visuals (Color) in Film History

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/10/2017 22:17
  • Post subject: Re: Best Visuals (Color) in Film History
Norman Bates wrote:

Also, Hayden, as far as Godard is concerned, Weekend is a much stronger statement on color movies than Contempt (a stronger statement on natural light though) is.

Yeah, true. Prefer Contempt as an overall film though. Considering he's such a master of colour, it always feels odd that my favourite by him are b&w.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/11/2017 00:00
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Wizard of Oz
Medea ( the one from the 60s with Maria Callas)
Oedipus Rex ( the one from the sixties also, by Pasolini also))
All Those Technicolor Ones starring people like Dorothy Malone and Lana Turner and they were like soap operas that took place in their gorgeous modern living rooms where everything had such vivid colors)
East of Eden
Black Narcissus
All the Bernardo Bertolucci ones in the 70s

Keep in mind it's a top 50 and for every new entry there would have to be one removed (unless it is extended past 50). Also keep in mind that creativity is very important to me, so I would not necessarily be interested in including several examples of outstanding visuals that were more or less repetitions of themselves (such as "all the technicolor ones"). Maybe a few of the most superior renditions, but after that they begin to stand out less and less and these get progressively less interesting the more they are repeated especially against such brilliant technicolor examples as that of Red Shoes, or Black Narcissus or Vertigo or Marnie or Kurosawa's Ran (was that one "technicolor"? Think )

Black Narcissus is already on there, Bertolucci's Conformist is on there, ranked very highly too. Not sure if I'd included any of his other 70s in a top 50 (which is quite exclusive), but I do need to see Spider's Strategem.

Never seen that Medea in full, though the excerpts I've watched were promising.

East of Eden needs a re-watch...
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/11/2017 00:05
Norman Bates wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

The Red Shoes - Michael Powell (1948)

Quite unfair to Pressburger. Also, no Anthony Mann / James Stewart? The Searchers? Also, I'm sorry to say: Gone With the Wind and, obviously, Douglas Sirk and Tati (at least Mon Oncle and possibly Playtime.)

Also, Hayden, as far as Godard is concerned, Weekend is a much stronger statement on color movies than Contempt (a stronger statement on natural light though) is.

Re: Pressburger ... I put the list titles together in haste, maybe I'll change it when I finally update the list. None of the cinematographers, art directors or special effects artists are included either, so...

Playtime is on there already. I doubt I'd include Mon Oncle in a top 50 but maybe. Gone with the Wind and The Searchers are each superb examples and were once between 40 & 50 but got knocked out with revisions. I'll get back around to film at some point and will maybe reconsider them. Also this list isn't necessarily totally current (though it probably wouldn't be that much different anyway)
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/11/2017 00:08
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Wizard of Oz
All Those Technicolor Ones starring people like Dorothy Malone and Lana Turner and they were like soap operas that took place in their gorgeous modern living rooms where everything had such vivid colors)

Yes to these, and Fellini's Satyricon (quoted by somebody else).

East of Eden is awful, would be in black and white, and color changes nothing. May I submit, if you're into Dean, Rebel Without a Cause (or half a dozen Nick Ray movies for that matter, not least of all Johnny Guitar) + Lang's Rancho Notorious and Indian Tomb/Tiger of Eschnapur diptych.

Satyricon is already there (in the top 10). Don't think the others would make my top 50, though I can understand wanting to include them. Also, I'll probably eventually extend it to 100 (maybe more) so that might change things.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/11/2017 00:13
Norman Bates wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

The City of Lost Children - Jean-Pierre Jeunet (1995)
Delicatessen - Jean-Pierre Jeunet (1995)

You must be kidding. The quasi-steampunk 'alternate occupied France' sepia melancholy had grown old within 2 minutes and a half of each of these movies. These movies are quite simply awful and the colours are utterly disgusting. I don't like Amelie either, but for different reasons so I'll give you the colours if you really like them in there.

Yes, I'm kidding. I'm very disorganized and not too meticulous about my ratings/rankings, sorry for my incompetence Liar
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 00:16
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Wizard of Oz
East of Eden
Black Narcissus

Keep in mind it's a top 50 and for every new entry there would have to be one removed (unless it is extended past 50). Also keep in mind that creativity is very important to me, so I would not necessarily be interested in including several examples of outstanding visuals that were more or less repetitions of themselves (such as "all the technicolor ones"). Maybe a few of the most superior renditions, but after that they begin to stand out less and less and these get progressively less interesting the more they are repeated especially against such brilliant technicolor examples as that of Red Shoes, or Black Narcissus or Vertigo or Marnie or Kurosawa's Ran (was that one "technicolor"? Think )

Black Narcissus is already on there, Bertolucci's Conformist is on there, ranked very highly too. Not sure if I'd included any of his other 70s in a top 50 (which is quite exclusive), but I do need to see Spider's Strategem.

Oh. Okay. Forget the Bertolucci's. And the living room dramas.But leave Wizard of Oz.
If you never saw Medea or Oedipus Rex, you don't know what you're missing. You know how people always say something is a one-of-a-kind film but it never really is? Well, these ARE one-of-a-kind films. If you see them, you'll know exactly what I mean. Theyre awesome.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 00:52
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Wizard of Oz

Yes to these, and Fellini's Satyricon (quoted by somebody else).

East of Eden is awful, would be in black and white, and color changes nothing. May I submit, if you're into Dean, Rebel Without a Cause (or half a dozen Nick Ray movies for that matter, not least of all Johnny Guitar) + Lang's Rancho Notorious and Indian Tomb/Tiger of Eschnapur diptych.

Satyricon is already there (in the top 10). Don't think the others would make my top 50, though I can understand wanting to include them. Also, I'll probably eventually extend it to 100 (maybe more) so that might change things.

To be honest, i really dont remember what the outside scenes looked like in East of Eden. But I remember being impressed by the inside of Jo Van Fleet's house and the father's house also. I really don't know why now. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 07/11/2017 06:39
AfterHours wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

You must be kidding. The quasi-steampunk 'alternate occupied France' sepia melancholy had grown old within 2 minutes and a half of each of these movies. These movies are quite simply awful and the colours are utterly disgusting. I don't like Amelie either, but for different reasons so I'll give you the colours if you really like them in there.

Yes, I'm kidding. I'm very disorganized and not too meticulous about my ratings/rankings, sorry for my incompetence Liar

It, of course, is not about incompetence. It is about discarding Nazi-occupied France as a possible item of nostalgia or accepting it as a legitimate cause for regret about life in those days. The colour does participate a lot to the feel though so I guess you were not joking and will apologize if I hurt your feelings.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/11/2017 06:40
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Wizard of Oz
East of Eden
Black Narcissus

Oh. Okay. Forget the Bertolucci's. And the living room dramas.But leave Wizard of Oz.
If you never saw Medea or Oedipus Rex, you don't know what you're missing. You know how people always say something is a one-of-a-kind film but it never really is? Well, these ARE one-of-a-kind films. If you see them, you'll know exactly what I mean. Theyre awesome.

Thank you I'll look into those.

Wizard of Oz was on here a couple years ago, but replaced by other entries. Still worthy of strong consideration, though its lack of cinematography/camera work (aside from just basic presentation of the scenes) might be too much to overcome for this echelon of quality (but probably would make a top 100 if/when I extend it)
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/11/2017 06:43
Norman Bates wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

It, of course, is not about incompetence. It is about discarding Nazi-occupied France as a possible item of nostalgia or accepting it as a legitimate cause for regret about life in those days. The colour does participate a lot to the feel though so I guess you were not joking and will apologize if I hurt your feelings.

No worries at all, I was being facetious. My feelings were not hurt in the least and I'm glad you do appreciate the Jeunet works to the degree that you do.
  • Visit poster's website