Remove one from the top 100, and add one. Which do you pick?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 03/16/2017 23:01
  • Post subject:
While I do like Appetite for Destruction by Guns N Roses, I don't think it's anywhere near as awesome as Soundgarden's Superunknown. The latter is a hard rock beast. And while the singles are all great, album tracks such as "Superunknown", "4th of July", and "Like Suicide" should not be ignored.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2017 02:02
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I don't like based purely on the music is Carrie and Lowell.

Carriei and Lowell aren't in the top 100, they're ranked like 150 i believe
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2017 03:22
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I know you said one, but I just looked at that list for the first time and I saw 5 I would take out. Even though I personally don't care for some of the albums on the list I get why some are there. The only one I don't like based purely on the music is Carrie and Lowell. One Sufjan Stevens album is plenty, and his best one is already on there. I would replace him with another singer songwriter in Nick Cave. Boatman's Call is his top ranked album, and I think that would make a good switch.

The other 4 I would take out would be the compilations. Why are they there? I think most of the music is already covered from the Beatles , the Smiths, and the Beach Boys.

Replace with, Maggot Brain, Enter the 36th Chamber, Hot Rats, and Uncle Meat.

The dearth of Zappa is disturbing.

Also, Lord of the Rings? How did that get on there? Replace it with Rites of Spring, or Swan Lake, something better.

Sorry I didn't stick to one.

There's a small chance you are getting ranked and rated confused:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/overall.php

Rated:
https://www.besteveralbums.com/toprated...hp?o=album

Overall I agree with the compilations of big bands being taken out. Sometimes comps are the best an artist has (for me Hot Rocks still is better than any Stones release, even if I do really like 5 or so albums of theirs).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2017 03:34
  • Post subject:
To be honest with ya'll, I kind of trust the overall chart more than anyone's opinion.

Why?

Well, it "mathematically" is the greatest albums. It's the collection of albums from so many view points and perspectives and life experiences who have agreed are the greatest. They had the biggest cultural impact. They meant something to so many people. And yeah there's that sales=popularity/not all artists are equally well distributed, etc. but I think that is oversimplified. Most less known albums/artists usually are a novelty and wear off quickly for me and maybe most of the time, the lack of distribution really is because it isn't that great. Those on the overall - even if I don't agree with them - usually are there for a reason.

Minus AC/DC and Guns N' Roses - they belong on a greatest singles ever chart maybe, but definitely not album material. But a holistic album is my litmus test... and obviously isn't everybody's.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2017 03:39
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
craola wrote:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I guess to be clinical about it, I'd remove Guns N Roses and replace it with Tom Waits' Rain Dogs.

But deep down I'd replace OK Computer with Another Thought.

relevant

shit, forget to mention it was by Radiohead.

Laughing

Also, yes to Rain Dogs.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2017 21:52
  • Post subject:
Take out Appetite for Destruction (gross) with To Pimp a Butterfly. I know it's almost there, but still. Maybe take Absolution out for Alligator or something.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/18/2017 22:35
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
To be honest with ya'll, I kind of trust the overall chart more than anyone's opinion.

Why?

Well, it "mathematically" is the greatest albums. It's the collection of albums from so many view points and perspectives and life experiences who have agreed are the greatest. They had the biggest cultural impact. They meant something to so many people. And yeah there's that sales=popularity/not all artists are equally well distributed, etc. but I think that is oversimplified. Most less known albums/artists usually are a novelty and wear off quickly for me and maybe most of the time, the lack of distribution really is because it isn't that great. Those on the overall - even if I don't agree with them - usually are there for a reason.

Minus AC/DC and Guns N' Roses - they belong on a greatest singles ever chart maybe, but definitely not album material. But a holistic album is my litmus test... and obviously isn't everybody's.

I don't particularly disagree with the gist of what youre saying but keep in mind that in many cases across the history of art the greatest were far from the most popular or well known, both critically and in the eyes of the general public, within their lifetime or so. I guarantee you that most of this overall chart will be considered far less relevant in 50+ years, and several within 10-20 or less.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2017 00:54
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Why?

I don't particularly disagree with the gist of what youre saying but keep in mind that in many cases across the history of art the greatest were far from the most popular or well known, both critically and in the eyes of the general public, within their lifetime or so. I guarantee you that most of this overall chart will be considered far less relevant in 50+ years, and several within 10-20 or less.

Good point. I can't remember musicians now, but I have heard of other musicians bringing classical musicians who were never popular to life, but I really can't think of a true Van Gogh for music... can you? I mean sure Mozart died poor, but i think that wasn't because he lost popularity, rather he was bad with money.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2017 16:09
  • Post subject:
Out? How to pick? So many dreadful examples from which to choose. I'll just start close to the top and toss Beatles' White.

In? Even harder! So many great but underrated albums. Toss up between Rush/s Moving Pictures and Dream Theater's Images and Word. For this exercise, I'll go with the DT album.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2017 16:13
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

Why?

different view here. The masses are almost always wrong (or at least I disagree). An individual may hit the target far easier than a conglomeration--but of course which individual?

Once I get to know a persons opinions/likes/biases, I can trust their input much more than the group.
  • Visit poster's website