Why don't you listen to much (if any) Classical Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Why don't you listen to much (if any) Classical Music?
But, I do! I love Classical Music!
38%
 38%  [14]
Rock artist(s) such as _____ surpassed the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc
8%
 8%  [3]
Jazz artist(s) such as _____ surpassed the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc
5%
 5%  [2]
I've tried and I just don't like/don't 'get' Classical Music
16%
 16%  [6]
I find Classical Music too daunting and just don't know where to start, so I stick to what I'm familiar with
30%
 30%  [11]
Total Votes : 36

AfterHours

• Posted: 04/08/2017 03:26
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
By the way, my avatar is Beethoven:

Yes, good choice Smile

Mine is a shot from the Andrei Tarkovsky film Stalker.

I thought it nice. Haven't seen that one.

Is that snow, fog, or ? Quite beautiful.

Off the rails a bit - anyone know where dividesbyzero's signature is from... that one is quite picturesque as well.

It's sand actually, inside a place called "The Zone". It's a moment of epiphany in the film.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2017 03:39
  • Post subject:
@ albummaster:

https://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Four-Sea...B00005NPK1

This album for example is really difficult to put into our database because:

1) The soloist is really important: Itzhak Perlman, yet he's not the conductor, who is equally important, but in this case slightly less so (Rodney Friend).
2) There are actually two different orchestras he recorded with on the same "release".

Probably my favorite recording I've found of this.

I also like another recording (can't find it now) that really expresses the period better. That's besides the point that this CD is nearly impossible to represent properly on this site (which is fine... I understand the purpose of this site isn't to cater to every need and shouldn't have to - albummaster has done enough to create a fine site).

Just wanted to bring to attention.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2017 04:13
  • Post subject:
The other difficulty is that classical music is often put in a "box set" if you will... it's a CD with 4 different works on it... often the first work is more popular than the other 3 to try and sell the recording. When I list a favorite work... I kinda don't want to have to list the 3 other less awesome works.

Ok I swear I'm going to shut up now.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/08/2017 04:29
  • Post subject:
Greendonut227 wrote:
I like listening to classical music. Actually, I used to pretty much only listen to classical music until I decided to look for some good modern music (that's how I discovered this site). Now I listen to mostly "modern" (last 60 years) music, but I still enjoy Classical. Strangely, listening to newer artists somehow made me appreciate Classical music more, even if I now listen to it less. Think

I go through spurts too, of either one or two art forms at a time.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/08/2017 08:58
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
1) The soloist is really important: Itzhak Perlman, yet he's not the conductor, who is equally important, but in this case slightly less so (Rodney Friend).
2) There are actually two different orchestras he recorded with on the same "release".
... this CD is nearly impossible to represent properly on this site (which is fine... I understand the purpose of this site isn't to cater to every need and shouldn't have to - albummaster has done enough to create a fine site).

Just wanted to bring to attention.

Agree, the site isn't perfect at the moment. Currently, in the process of redesigning the site for the modern age Wink The convention that BEA is following for adding classical albums is to list the conductor first, then the orchestra, and then any lead performers credited on the album cover. Classical albums are more difficult to deal with than 'normal' albums due to the number of credited performers on each release and BEA doesn't accommodate these particularly well currently (something that will be addressed in a future site update once the redesign is finished).
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/08/2017 10:05
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
If there were a way to make the main entry the Classical Work itself, and then maybe have a "sub" entry as part of the same listing be the database of various "albums" for one's preferred recording, I think that would be optimum. Perhaps easier said than done I'm sure Smile

Yes, easier said than done Wink especially if two or more classical works are performed on the same album, or if just specific movements are being performed. I'll add to the list though and think about how things could be improved.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 04/08/2017 10:34
  • Post subject:
I've managed to get by adding a boatload of classical albums over the years, and while the system certainly isn't designed for it, it's workable. My biggest concern is that it becomes a pain for moderators when something is slightly different on a performer (have to add a whole new artist if the symphony is featuring a different soloist) and stuff like that. No doubt I've driven Rom and AM crazy with that... sorry Embarassed

a separate field for composers would be cool, as well as maybe more space to list performs to keep from having to put big casts as being V/A? but honestly I think once you get the hang of formatting for classical releases down, the current system isn't so bad

lol Seth (or others) if you need help with the specific formatting for adding classical stuff, hmu. I think I've trial-and-error'd my way through enough of this shit that it's second nature by now Laughing

P.S.

obligatory chart-whoring Twisted Evil

Classical Clusterfuck : Western Classical Music by dividesbyzero
Greendonut227

Japan

• Posted: 04/08/2017 12:56
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
I go through spurts too, of either one or two art forms at a time.

Yup. I tend have a preferred genre or style I listen to that changes once every couple of days.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/08/2017 13:15
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
No doubt I've driven Rom and AM crazy with that... sorry Embarassed

lol Seth (or others) if you need help with the specific formatting for adding classical stuff, hmu. I think I've trial-and-error'd my way through enough of this shit that it's second nature by now Laughing

Please don't worry too much about making mistakes with formatting. If a mistake is spotted, it'll get corrected and nobody will think anything of it (just part of looking after a site). As you say, after a while, people get the hang of it anyway so it's no huge deal.
  • Visit poster's website
albumceleste

• Posted: 04/08/2017 17:09
  • Post subject:
I listen to a lot of *Classical/Academic/Writing tradition/you name it* music. Almost 1/3+ of my listens fall there.

I just don't think BEA's classification and the way it weights albums is useful for Classical Music, so I end up not adding classical music albums to my charts (the only few exceptions I've made are first recordings from works of living composers that were involved in the recording; e.g. Steve Reich's Music for 18 musicians).

Also there are really few classical music albums already added to the database so it will be a mounstrous work to add all I've listened and in the end what would be the point? I think the huge majority of BEA's users tend to drift towards 60s onward popular music sung in english. Not complaining, just saying that is what charts show. So I use this site to find/rate/chart music within that paradigm.