Why don't you listen to much (if any) Classical Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Why don't you listen to much (if any) Classical Music?
But, I do! I love Classical Music!
38%
 38%  [14]
Rock artist(s) such as _____ surpassed the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc
8%
 8%  [3]
Jazz artist(s) such as _____ surpassed the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc
5%
 5%  [2]
I've tried and I just don't like/don't 'get' Classical Music
16%
 16%  [6]
I find Classical Music too daunting and just don't know where to start, so I stick to what I'm familiar with
30%
 30%  [11]
Total Votes : 36

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2017 18:57
  • Post subject:
@ Albummaster & Dividesbyzero:

Laughing

You are both awesome humans. No guile meant and I don't think it was taken either. Still VERY happy with the overall site.

So I get my classical influence from my brother who was so frustrated by how difficult it was to manage classical music in iTunes, he actually never ended up digitizing any of his music because it was so much work to have it properly labeled. If iTunes couldn't figure it out properly, there's no way I'd expect this site to.

I think discogs does a decent job on it. And hey, perhaps for the ultimate music geek additional fields for all music could be made:

1) Producer (For example, maybe I'd like to listen to everything Brian Eno or Rick Rubin produced... or at least see it listed?)
2) Composer
3) Lyricist/libretto
4) Date Published vs Recorded for classical music (could be interesting to see the site expand to earlier times than just the 1950s?)
5) Conductor
6) Soloist
7) Band/Artist/Orchestra/Philharmonic

But then it could get SO MESSY (already quite the chore to keep entries in the database correct)... so totally get reservations of not doing ANY of that listed above. Especially since the site really is dedicated to recorded music. Something that is great usually has restrictions, and I'm perfectly happy - really I am Smile.

I do have to stop and look at another classical album to make sure I understand the format before entering in a recording. And overall I'm happy with it - even if some limitations are present to properly represent the recording. To be frank, the record industry is mostly to blame due to some of the reasons I gave before (putting a few less listened to recordings bundled in with the more famous one... I think especially for digital recordings because they had that extra "space"... might as well fund more music recordings than just the famous one?)

ok... I'll stop, I swear.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2017 19:12
  • Post subject:
So back on topic:

I think classical music (and free jazz/avant-garde jazz for that matter) is tough to always be listening to because it at times can be so emotional, cerebral, and actually kind of taxing to listen to - it demands more from the listener.

It also has a very LONG history and understanding the context of the different pieces, the genre or type of piece and finding what you like out of almost a thousand years of music... it's a bit daunting. I mean obviously not everything has been recorded, but still A LOT to process.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/08/2017 20:02
  • Post subject:
albumceleste wrote:
I listen to a lot of *Classical/Academic/Writing tradition/you name it* music. Almost 1/3+ of my listens fall there.

I just don't think BEA's classification and the way it weights albums is useful for Classical Music, so I end up not adding classical music albums to my charts (the only few exceptions I've made are first recordings from works of living composers that were involved in the recording; e.g. Steve Reich's Music for 18 musicians).

Also there are really few classical music albums already added to the database so it will be a mounstrous work to add all I've listened and in the end what would be the point? I think the huge majority of BEA's users tend to drift towards 60s onward popular music sung in english. Not complaining, just saying that is what charts show. So I use this site to find/rate/chart music within that paradigm.

Makes sense. In terms of charting my Classical favorites, I'm in a very similar boat. So I just roll with the Music Diaries forum for such lists/logs.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2017 23:12
  • Post subject:
Found this to be a pretty good list (a la Rolling Stones type... it's like a best of - the expected stuff).

http://pbs.bento.storage.s3.amazonaws.c...ntdown.pdf

Which came from this: http://www.wmht.org/radio/classical/400...nd-beyond/
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/09/2017 01:20
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Found this to be a pretty good list (a la Rolling Stones type... it's like a best of - the expected stuff).

Has a lot of amazing works of course, but lists like this kind of bug me when they seem so randomly ranked. What is the point in ranking them in an exact sequence if there is no apparent method one is doing so by? Why not just put them in date order or something? Also, why are some of them complete works and some are just movements? The idea that a movement from Bach's 3rd Orchestral Suite (while great), is #3 all time, and merely 2 spots below the whole of Beethoven's 9th is just silly, but that's just me. Lots of other examples. Why just 1 movement from Bach's Mass in B Minor and not the whole thing? Have they not heard it? Also, I forgot about that time when Mozart's Oboe Concerto surpassed Mahler's 9th Symphony ...Etc...
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/09/2017 01:36
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
So back on topic:

I think classical music (and free jazz/avant-garde jazz for that matter) is tough to always be listening to because it at times can be so emotional, cerebral, and actually kind of taxing to listen to - it demands more from the listener.

It also has a very LONG history and understanding the context of the different pieces, the genre or type of piece and finding what you like out of almost a thousand years of music... it's a bit daunting. I mean obviously not everything has been recorded, but still A LOT to process.

Excellent points. Can definitely see this being a hurdle for some/many. For me, experiencing the greatest music/art and the rewards of such efforts, far outweighs this in importance. And once one gets rolling and increasingly experienced the necessary knowledge tends to snowball. The more experience and knowledge and understanding gained, the more the effort (or taxing aspect) of it goes away, and it just becomes one incredibly rewarding journey and adventure.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2017 02:20
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Has a lot of amazing works of course, but lists like this kind of bug me when they seem so randomly ranked. What is the point in ranking them in an exact sequence if there is no apparent method one is doing so by? Why not just put them in date order or something? Also, why are some of them complete works and some are just movements? The idea that a movement from Bach's 3rd Orchestral Suite (while great), is #3 all time, and merely 2 spots below the whole of Beethoven's 9th is just silly, but that's just me. Lots of other examples. Why just 1 movement from Bach's Mass in B Minor and not the whole thing? Have they not heard it? Also, I forgot about that time when Mozart's Oboe Concerto surpassed Mahler's 9th Symphony ...Etc...

Laughing

Yup - that's why I edited to say it's a bit like a Rolling Stones list. It's the "best of classical", not really the greatest works of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2017 02:35
  • Post subject:
I personally find Confutatis most emotionally drive/best part of the requiem, yet they didn't include that... etc.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/09/2017 03:21
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Laughing

Yup - that's why I edited to say it's a bit like a Rolling Stones list. It's the "best of classical", not really the greatest works of all time.

Spot on assessment Smile
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/09/2017 03:22
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I personally find Confutatis most emotionally drive/best part of the requiem, yet they didn't include that... etc.

Yep etc etc etc Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website