Why don't you listen to much (if any) Classical Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Why don't you listen to much (if any) Classical Music?
But, I do! I love Classical Music!
38%
 38%  [14]
Rock artist(s) such as _____ surpassed the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc
8%
 8%  [3]
Jazz artist(s) such as _____ surpassed the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc
5%
 5%  [2]
I've tried and I just don't like/don't 'get' Classical Music
16%
 16%  [6]
I find Classical Music too daunting and just don't know where to start, so I stick to what I'm familiar with
30%
 30%  [11]
Total Votes : 36

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2017 05:40
  • Post subject:
Not sure it really could be called a genre... it basically entails ALL music from like 500 AD until today... to not get confused with the time period, those that study it often call it "art music" as seen referenced in the wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music)

Motet, madrigal, or a symphony - it really isn't a genre. I think these are called forms.

Sorry, just had to clarify. (also based on the but there's so much else to listen to... hmmm... somehow the past 70 years just don't mean anything when you talk about music traditions that are over a thousand years old).

Ok rant over.

I totally get why classical music isn't appreciated or listened to. I said it once before, but classical music is often referred to as art music because it is much more cerebral, demands more from the listener, and often emotionally taxing once you get into it.

Probably 90% of all albums on this site are forms of pop music in a broad sense (average of 4 minute songs, easy to listen to, catchy, etc.).

But do you know what - pop music is absolutely fantastic, just like pizza. It's just sometimes I want to eat sushi or a salad.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2017 14:31
  • Post subject:
I've heard the "not a genre" argument plenty before. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a way of maintaining the imagined inherent "betterness" of classical music over contemporary genres. If one truly wants to see classical music listened to more, they should wish death upon the manufactured concept of the high culture/low culture divide. Of course many are quite comfy with the divide, deluded into the belief that it somehow elevates them to a higher class of culture consumer as well.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2017 02:34
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
I've heard the "not a genre" argument plenty before. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a way of maintaining the imagined inherent "betterness" of classical music over contemporary genres. If one truly wants to see classical music listened to more, they should wish death upon the manufactured concept of the high culture/low culture divide. Of course many are quite comfy with the divide, deluded into the belief that it somehow elevates them to a higher class of culture consumer as well.

Oh for sure. If it weren't for Wagner, classical music was as festive and riotous live. Wagner wanted his music respected like church... because Germany was looking for a way to replace the church altogether (see longing for myth in Germany).

Its just that classical music is a genre as much as everything created since 1930 is the same genre.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/25/2017 00:42
  • Post subject:
I love classical music. I am listening to Classic FM, a UK radio station right now. Its the middle of the night here. They have Smooth Classics at night, mellow ones to help you nod off.

I have always been a fan of the more popular classics but now I know a smidgeon more, over the last 2 years.

Favourite composers are Vaughan Williams, Rachmaninov, Mozart, Finzi, Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Elgar and a little Einaudi, the little I know I like.

Also like a lot of film scores and even a few video games soundtracks, which though not strictly classical, are modern works which are good to listen to.
  • Visit poster's website
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 05/26/2017 06:42
  • Post subject:
there's actually quite a bit of music I prefer to listen to that I know for a fact isn't in Beethoven's league. like the sex pistols. better than Beethoven? lol no, but I still prefer to listen to them.

it might be partly b/c it's never even really a great composer - IT'S ALWAYS JUST A COVER. essentially, anyway.

also, I love to see how music has changed. how all of the bands are influencing each other and somehow, slowly, the sound of music in general evolves. classical music might still be evolving and music might still be influenced partly by it, but most of the roots of modern music are found in jazz and the beatles.
  • Visit poster's website