Why don't you listen to much (if any) Classical Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Why don't you listen to much (if any) Classical Music?
But, I do! I love Classical Music!
38%
 38%  [14]
Rock artist(s) such as _____ surpassed the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc
8%
 8%  [3]
Jazz artist(s) such as _____ surpassed the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc
5%
 5%  [2]
I've tried and I just don't like/don't 'get' Classical Music
16%
 16%  [6]
I find Classical Music too daunting and just don't know where to start, so I stick to what I'm familiar with
30%
 30%  [11]
Total Votes : 36

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2017 21:09
  • Post subject:
Regardless, I think it is a good start for anyone getting into it. They likely still would have listened to Mozart's Requiem in it's entirety and made their own assessment.

Here's some playlists I made for each era based on some educational stuff and some favorites:

Medieval/Renaissance:
https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...3BYxMZJxp7

Baroque (if it ain't baroque don't fix it... sorry I had to)... also another lame joke, sing "Oh my word, it's Beethoven's 3rd, again", to Beethoven's 3rd and you won't ever listen to it the same again):
https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...ZqBnfg67Qe

Classical:
https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...T2Szkzu8vy

Romantic:
https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...l89VbvKfMh
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/10/2017 02:09
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Regardless, I think it is a good start for anyone getting into it. They likely still would have listened to Mozart's Requiem in it's entirety and made their own assessment.

Here's some playlists I made for each era based on some educational stuff and some favorites:

Medieval/Renaissance:
https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...3BYxMZJxp7

Baroque (if it ain't baroque don't fix it... sorry I had to)... also another lame joke, sing "Oh my word, it's Beethoven's 3rd, again", to Beethoven's 3rd and you won't ever listen to it the same again):
https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...ZqBnfg67Qe

Classical:
https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...T2Szkzu8vy

Romantic:
https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...l89VbvKfMh

Nice! Good job! Each list is very much worth going through, whether a beginner or experienced Smile
  • Visit poster's website
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/19/2017 18:59
  • Post subject:
I've always thought you needed to be bought up with classical to understand it. I wasn't, and I don't. I've deliberately tried to broaden my tastes at times, listened to some Classical FM, tried it but it always sounds that bit alien to me. Because I wasn't bought up with it, it sounds like a music from another time.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2017 05:45
  • Post subject:
neilgee wrote:
I've always thought you needed to be bought up with classical to understand it. I wasn't, and I don't. I've deliberately tried to broaden my tastes at times, listened to some Classical FM, tried it but it always sounds that bit alien to me. Because I wasn't bought up with it, it sounds like a music from another time.

I think I'd have to agree with this. I likely wouldn't like classical music if it weren't for my family of origin.

I'd have to say though, there's got to be something you like? No Beethoven or Mozart? Nothing? Also do you like any instrumental music that is modern? Jazz/ambient, etc?
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 05/20/2017 16:36
  • Post subject:
Being completely honest with myself it's the last one. I have obviously listened to classical music over the years and enjoyed some of it but nothing has ever enticed me to get 'into' it, so to speak.
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 05/20/2017 17:29
  • Post subject:
I can totally sympathize with people who find classical music boring, because the way it's interpreted by the vast, vast majority of performers today IS boring and doesn't do the music justice at all.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2017 21:50
  • Post subject:
I think the key to getting into classical music is hearing it live with a good or great orchestra (quartet, pianist, or whatever). A good show is a life-changing experience.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/21/2017 10:31
  • Post subject:
I think I agree craola. The thing to me is: I have been to concerts, I think I know fairly a lot of classical music and think I can appreciate it a lot ont the intellectual level. But somehow I don't feel I have the same kind of emotional connection as I have with the best rock music.
There's one major exception: the ninth of Beethoven of which I think I know every twist and turn and to which I have listened already to a lot of different recordings (and I do agree with Seth in one of his previous comments that focusing on recordings instead of works as a whole is maybe not the best thing on this site as far as classical music is concerned).
But the most important thing is: I worship the whole piece, even the quieter parts, although I must say it's the last section which invariably (like the best rock music) wants me turn the volume up all the way.
  • Visit poster's website
davidhuret

France

• Posted: 05/22/2017 08:20
  • Post subject:
I do. But there's so much to listen to in other genres.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2017 04:12
  • Post subject:
Lovely genre, but tremendously overrated. Can't compare any contemporary artist to a Beethoven, Mozart, or what have you without being declared a blasphemer. If I were to even suggest Kanye West is as accomplished as any individual classical composer (which I would suggest), I'd likely be laughed out of the room. Truth is, classical music, over so many centuries, hasn't diversified much more than far younger genres have over mere decades. And that's just in terms of sonic variation. On top of that, contemporary music also offers a far broader palette of personal expression than the Eurocentric, androcentric Western canon.